Jontea

BDAD : DN(F)01(Sadly gone) and DT02 shenanigans.

For your pleasure this evening, the removal of the ball diff, and replacing with the gear diff.

First snag, a combination of useless allen key and butter like grub screw, one stuck pinion.

IMG_20200814_175157.jpg

• Like 1

One gearbox, one TA06 rear gear diff, DN01 bearings and other gears. Goes together lovely.

IMG_20200814_182554.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Seanster43 said:

Nice work mate I need to get a move on with mines 😂

Aye, crack on. Living alone does have the advantage of plenty of free time.

Found some RIT dye, fronts are now black, unfortunately the DB01RRR rears, different plastic, haven't taken the dye at all. So the search for rears continues, unless I just use the Schumacher ones I have already.

• Like 1

Whenever I've posted about the DN01 gear diff conversion, I've always forgotten to credit the person behind the conversion gearbox, and he also happens to be the person that has made me want to keep the DN01 (because if I'd been left with the ball diff, I doubt I'd have run/kept it), so @ThunderDragonCy cheers very much, greatly appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Jontea Thanks dude. My pleasure. Stoked its gone together nicely, and doubly pleased it's meant you kept the buggy. They are so great. 

Just charging up the lipos now, looking forward to it's maiden gear diff thrashing!

30 mins of fun!

What did the maiden run tell us?

1. It's quick

2. Stock tyres are not good on freshly cut grass (didn't think they would be), and tyres should always be glued on, when will I learn?!

3. It's less of a hooligan than the DT02, as to be expected, more neutral, longer wheelbase, better damped

4. Gear diffs are indeed far far superior to ball diffs! BDAD forever.

And

5. When building, always heed the adage "thread lock metal to metal", the maiden outing was only 30mins because I forgot to thread lock the servo arm bolt in, and yes, it came off.

So, in conclusion, buy a DN01, buy the gear diff conversion, glue yer tyres on, thread lock where needed, and have a blast!

IMG_20200815_121214.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Awesome! Get some Schumacher U6810 Wide Stagger Rib for the front with medium foams.

Cheers 

Cy

Will do. What rears would you recommend? Mini spikes?

50 minutes ago, Jontea said:

Will do. What rears would you recommend? Mini spikes?

That's what i ran. Works great on grass and astro. You need foam inserts for those too unless your tamiya tyres have inserts already. 

15 hours ago, Jontea said:

Whenever I've posted about the DN01 gear diff conversion, I've always forgotten to credit the person behind the conversion gearbox, and he also happens to be the person that has made me want to keep the DN01 (because if I'd been left with the ball diff, I doubt I'd have run/kept it), so @ThunderDragonCy cheers very much, greatly appreciated.

Great work guys. I know the info is sprinkled throughout this thread and others, but can you summarize what parts/mods were needed for the gear diff conversion? Looks like you used the 54471 TA06 diff...anything else? Stock gearbox?

Also wondering if the slipper clutch would serve any purpose with this conversion? I was planning to use one with the stock ball diff. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Room335 said:

Great work guys. I know the info is sprinkled throughout this thread and others, but can you summarize what parts/mods were needed for the gear diff conversion? Looks like you used the 54471 TA06 diff...anything else? Stock gearbox?

Also wondering if the slipper clutch would serve any purpose with this conversion? I was planning to use one with the stock ball diff. Thanks!

Yep, TA06 rear gear diff, 3000cst oil, and @ThunderDragonCy gearbox casing from his Shapeways page, then all the inners from the stock gearbox (counter gear, bearings, spur gear).

Considered a slipper conversion, but seems to run very well without it, maybe further down the line, someone with more knowledge than me would be able to explain if it has any benefit, I'm more thrash, bash, crash kinda driver.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That's what i ran. Works great on grass and astro. You need foam inserts for those too unless your tamiya tyres have inserts already. 

I have the Core closed cell inserts on my DT02, bit firmer than the Tamiya foam jobbies you get in the kit, have a spare set too, so I'll stick them in when I get tyres sorted.

Cheers fella.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Room335 said:

Also wondering if the slipper clutch would serve any purpose with this conversion?

It would give you a bit of traction control on loose surfaces. Also afford the gearbox a bit of protection if jumping. Running a hot motor without one you'll almost certainly muller a transmission quicker than with one.

• Thanks 1

One more thing that really helped with mine was sticking those sticky wheels (for full size cars) on top of the servo. About 30 grams worth. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

One more thing that really helped with mine was sticking those sticky wheels (for full size cars) on top of the servo. About 30 grams worth. 

Noticed it was a bit back heavy on landings, and due to the lack of scuffs at the front of the chassis. Already have the weights, waiting til I get a digital servo for it before I stick em on though.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 7:08 PM, Jontea said:

One gearbox, one TA06 rear gear diff, DN01 bearings and other gears. Goes together lovely.

IMG_20200814_182554.jpg

You sold it to me! The orders are in 👍

• Like 2

The slow build of DT02+ can begin. A few bits arrived today, meaning I can make a tentative start, there are also a couple of mystery parcels at the post office to pick up, had no delivery emails, but have only ordered buggy bits, so maybe shocks and driveshafts, tomorrow will tell.

IMG_20200819_172917.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, Jontea said:

30 mins of fun!

What did the maiden run tell us?

1. It's quick

2. Stock tyres are not good on freshly cut grass (didn't think they would be), and tyres should always be glued on, when will I learn?!

3. It's less of a hooligan than the DT02, as to be expected, more neutral, longer wheelbase, better damped

4. Gear diffs are indeed far far superior to ball diffs! BDAD forever.

And

5. When building, always heed the adage "thread lock metal to metal", the maiden outing was only 30mins because I forgot to thread lock the servo arm bolt in, and yes, it came off.

So, in conclusion, buy a DN01, buy the gear diff conversion, glue yer tyres on, thread lock where needed, and have a blast!

Touch wood I still haven't had issues with my ball diff.

Yeah those tyres aren't great on certain surfaces, no surprise. They are pretty good on fresh cut grass if it is short/dry (not lush grass) and the soil underneath is dry. Hard pack ground and tarmac OK too. Not tried them on carpet. BUT boy the stock tyres are horrendous on gravel - IF you manage to get speed up (being incredibly sensitive on the throttle) it is like a guided missile ready to bite you in the rear.

It's all kind of relative though, as you say it behaves much better than the run of the mill Tamiya buggy. If you jump back onto a regular Tamiya buggy or have it running at the same time you realise how much faster you were/are going without issue. Not good for crashes that sense of security, I seem to be going much faster when something goes wrong, fortunately they seem pretty tough.  :D

• Like 1

I did manage to balloon the rears off the wheels a couple of times, admittedly they weren't glued on. The rears just seem too big/baggy, the Schumacher tyres I have are a much tighter fit on the wheels. I guess with Tamiya not racing anymore (or building race buggies for that matter) little r&d goes into the accessories side, that's ok though, I have no problems using other companies products on a Tamiya.

• Like 1