Jontea

BDAD : DN(F)01(Sadly gone) and DT02 shenanigans.

Tonight's tasks will be building a couple of sets of shocks. Delivery date was way off, 2 weeks early for the Aerations, and 3 weeks early for the DF03. Not complaining, obviously.

IMG_20200820_174203.jpg

• Like 2

Did you drill the caps on the aeration ones? I am curious what the process is for setting these up once drilled.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J@mes said:

Did you drill the caps on the aeration ones? I am curious what the process is for setting these up once drilled.

No not yet, don't know whether to, gonna run em as is for now, see how they perform. I found the lack of instruction on that part bewildering, it'll be online somewhere, will look when I decide to (or not). They feel very good though, and sit nicely on the DT02.

As far as I know, loosen the screw, compress the shocks til all the air is out, do up the screw, I may be missing summat though, but that's basically how I understood the process.

• Like 1

I see. I read somewhere the aeration requires bubbles in the oil, in contradiction to the usual type where the bubbles are removed.

Tonight's first job, finish last night's jobs, build the DF03 shocks, these will go on the DT02 I have been thrashing around since February, the Aerations will go on DT02+ (the build for which will also start this evening, love a build evening!).

IMG_20200821_180436.jpg

• Like 2

All threads are being tapped, so slow progress, using stainless, hex, M3 machine screws, very agreeable.

Gearbox done.

IMG_20200821_205551.jpg

• Like 1

Front end, front axles shimmed, lower mounts using stainless pins and e clips rather than screw pins, turnbuckles from tother DT02.

IMG_20200821_221631.jpg

• Like 1

Back end bolted to gearbox. Will leave shock towers as a post breakfast treat, then it's just screwing it all to the bathtub and hanging the shocks on it.

Stay tuned for more exciting updates in the BDAD adventures.

IMG_20200821_233654.jpg

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

How do you feel the df03 shocks will compare with the aeration dampers?

Erm, not having used them both yet, not sure, in hand the Aerations feel smoother, more shims and spacers inside them, and the piston rods are treated with summat.

They are both obviously a step up from kit shocks, if I was to buy more, I'd probably go for the Aerations, nicer to build, and feel better in hand.

Being honest though, for a basher, both are probably a bit ott, but I think if you like the look of a buggy, you probably get greater enjoyment out of driving it.

• Like 1

For those of you who are into this kind of thing (the geeks), a parts list!

58374 Sand Viper

53587 5mm shim set

53585 3mm shim set

53791 DF02 universal shaft kit

54028 Aeration damper set

51283 5mm reinforced adjusters

53942 42mm hard turnbuckles

53943 46mm hard turnbuckles

54395 3x22mm low friction suspension shaft

51414 TRF201/DN01 front wheels

U4365 Schumacher 12mm hex rear wheels

Westfield Fasteners supplied the A2 stainless M3 0.5 hex screws, used 10/12/16/20mm button head, and 12mm countersunk head.

Think that's everything.

• Like 3

Final (for now) parts have arrived for DN(F)01 and DT02+.

DN01 gets:

54285 yellow front wheels

54287 yellow rear wheels

54260 slipper clutch

DT02+ gets:

Schumacher black rear wheels

54397 servo mounts

Core 9008 digital servo

Schumacher stagger rib wide fronts, and mini spike rears for whichever buggy I feel like taking out.

51283 reinforced adjusters, just because I was ordering and spares come in handy.

IMG_20200826_201117.jpg

• Like 3

Servo installed, Kimbrough Racing servo saver fitted, had to chop the top off it so that the front top deck would go on. Due to the way the servo saver is made it centres better than the bog standard savers, will use these from now on.

IMG_20200826_203252.jpg

• Like 1

Stripped the motor/esc out of DT02, put it in DT02+, shimmed front wheels (0.4mm per side), no annoying play in the wheels now.

Ready for a play, as long as the sky stops crying.

IMG_20200828_222602~2.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jontea said:

Stripped the motor/esc out of DT02, put it in DT02+, shimmed front wheels (0.4mm per side), no annoying play in the wheels now.

Ready for a play, as long as the sky stops crying.

IMG_20200828_222602~2.jpg

Looks great! Still waiting on my desert gator to arrive but may flip and get 2 vanquishes (1 to flip later).

• Like 1

DN01 slipper clutch fitted today, as always, love tinkering with this car, such a good one to work on.

The parts, and gearbox out.

IMG_20200906_154452.jpg

IMG_20200906_154445.jpg

• Like 2