•Axle

Step screw alternative

Has anyone got tricks for using standard screws in replacement of step screws? I was thinking about some sort of metal tubing cut to the right size to compensate, basically I want to use titanium screws throughout my build but cannot find titanium step screws.

cheers,

Al 

• Like 1

@•Axle can you elaborate which step screws you mean? I can think of three places:

(1) Those funny 3.74mm (or whatever they are) screws that mount the upper suspension arms and shocks on the 'cheaper' models. For those, part 58221 "flanged tube" is excellent. Note: there is a nearly identical flanged tube sold in 5-packs that is not a good fit, it's slightly too big and prevents rotation.

(2) The steering knuckles. For those I have no option

(3) Some go crazy and get custom step screws for the 3mm rods at the suspension joints. I confess I am part of that some, as I dislike e-rings. I have not found these in titanium. I get them in stainless through McMaster-Carr in the US.

That's all that occurs to me.

• Like 1

Thanks for that @isomer1, I think I fall into the cheaper models category. I made a decision in my head to build up the best GF01 I could think of which I feel is almost complete, replacing all standard parts with a titanium version, within reason, if I could buy titanium dog bones and king pins at the correct length trust me, I would.

So the step screws I have are from a Yeah Racing kit with a machine thread, so it looks like I’m going down the flanged tube route.

I’m finding it fascinating finding exotic screws, and it’s a huge game finding the correct screw. As on previous threads I’ve mentioned I was bored, but now I’ve found my thing / hobby after a long hibernation period...

• Like 2

Great minds think alike! I too am working on a GF-01 (dump truck) build. Something about the small, boxish frame just does it for me.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, isomer1 said:

Great minds think alike! I too am working on a GF-01 (dump truck) build. Something about the small, boxish frame just does it for me.

I think this is it, the WR-02 VW bus got my attention, then the 4WD variant came along and they had me hooked… I’ve just stuck a 3300kv brushless system in it and it’s everything I wanted from it.

• Like 1

I may have found and alternative to a step screw, and also have found a use for the polymorph thermoplastic I bought a few years ago.

Just applied some around a screw with a washer and pushed it into the step screw hole, screwed it tight and pulled off the excess while it was still payable.

I’ll update if it hasn’t worked out, testing tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Tamiya makes 4x6mm brass tubes. They also make some other lengths, I think 3mm. I have a few of each in my tool box from all my Frog/BF builds. These fit perfectly around a 3mm screw, and I’ve used the combo to replace the step screws on the Frog/BF.

I suggest buying 4mm OD brass tube and cut to length.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Well, they’re a bit of a squeeze but fit perfectly, thanks chaps!

Tamiya 50593 Flanged tube.

E696EC8B-F026-44EB-BFB1-49A4B24679C3.thumb.jpeg.f8fb0d07f7a3d75814e1da67ba45ace9.jpeg