Sign in to follow this  
mtbkym01

TT02 Drift Spec

Got a project in mind, what’s the deal with the Drift Spec Chassis? Is it different to a grip car or does it just come with drift tyres?

• Like 2

I bought one and was pretty disappointed with it to be honest. There was nothing in the manual that mentioned drifting, nothing in the set up that made it 'specific' to drifting or explains what it's all about. There was a tiny bit on the outer box about how to drift, but other than that it is basically a standard TT02 sea of plastic, with bearings, hard tyres, CVA dampers, heat sink and a sport tuned motor. For the money (about £120) it didn't make much sense

I ended up sending it back and buying a TT02R, which was on offer and ended up being cheaper! It comes with bearings, upgraded spur gear, steering turnbuckle links, metal motor mount, prop cups, prop shaft, outdrives, axles, dogbones and rear uprights. At a basic kit level it is a far better buy, and apart from the plastic tyres it has no less driftability (which is a word, right?) than the D spec. I've bought a diff lock block and some drift spec wheels/tyres and all in come out £20 more than the D spec kit, with a much better spec which can be good for different uses in the future

• Like 3

Which drift kit do you mean? There is a chassis kit that has a few extras but I don't know what they all are, but no body etc like the R and S kits. Then there are the kits which come with body, tyres etc and I think they are the best of the TT02 kits. They come with bearings, body, CVAs and a sport tuned motor so don't need any upgrades, other than some grip tyres and then you have both normal and drift. Compared to the base kits with friction dampers, no bearings etc, they need a few upgrades before you start. And you replace the kit dampers then throw them away, with the D kit you can use both.

If you want to drift seriously there are better kits out there, but if you want an entry level kit that you can muck around with they are fine. They don't have any special drift stuff other than the plastic tyres.

I don't see the point in buying a TT02 R or S or SR, the price is getting so close to a TA or TB car that you're better to buy the better one, especially since they don't have bodies or tyres. 

• Like 2

Compared to the standard base TT02, the drift spec chassis includes:

• Full ball bearings:  The gearboxes use the same ball bearings as ever, but the front and rear uprights use 1050 ball bearings instead of 1150 ball bearings.
  • Oil dampers:  Full set of 55 mm CVAs included, but the kit silver springs are softer (more turns) than the touring chassis.  The instructions have you add ride height spacers to the rear CVAs to force some preload on the springs.
  • Tires:  Yes, the usual Drift Spec plastic tires are included instead of grip tires.

Otherwise it seems all other details are similar.

I bought a drift kit w/ body (Civic) just to get the bearings and CVAs on a TT02; it made sense when the Civic kit was much less expensive than other drift spec kits, but then I was surprised by the change in ball bearings and springs.  It wasn't what I expected so now I have one oddball TT out of a few.

• Like 2

To be clear I don’t want a drifter for this project, but I hate buying kits and having spare bodies, so I’m looking for a chassis kit only. I can get the drift kit here in Aus for about half of the SR price, so it’s a consideration. All other chassis kits are far more than I want to spend on this project. 

• Like 1

In that case, as an example, here in the UK the TT02D chassis is priced roughly the same as a typical entry level TT02 kit

For which you get full bearings, sport tuned motor, CVAs, a heat sink and hard tyres instead of a body kit, silver can, ESC and grip tyres. So for what you want it's probably a good deal?

• Like 1

The D chassis kit comes with some upgraded plastics too, the steering assembly is harder grey plastic and I think there are some others in there too. Not 100% sure though, but they aren't legal in the TT02 race class here because of that. If you don't want the body it makes sense to get one.

• Like 1