Sign in to follow this  
A-Baum

New build, weird ESC behavior

Doing my first modern Tamiya build, a Zahhak so I sourced my own ESC and motor.  I got a Hobbywing 1060 and am using a Tamiya sport tuned motor.  Testing the motor/throttle and there's a couple weird things:

1. When I hold the car and go full throttle and let off the throttle, in other cars the wheels will continue to spin "freely" sort of before slowing down and stopping.  With this, the wheels stop almost immediately.  Is that due to the ESC having the fwd/br/rev enabled?  Does laying off the throttle kick off the brake feature in that ESC?  Maybe ball diff is too tight?

2. When I go full throttle, the wheels spin, let's say at a speed of 7 out of 10.  However when I turn the throttle trim way up, the wheels spin 10/10 but in reverse.  My transmitter throttle is set to N, not R.  

I am rather confused.  

I don't have the 1060 but use their XR10 escs. You need to program them. You can do it the fast way w/ the program box or the hard way using buttons (I think, again, I dont have the 1060).

1. It's the drag brake setting.

2. do you have this reversed?

1) Possibly the brake setting yes, you can change it by moving the pin jumper. see the manual here: https://www.hobbywing.com/products/enpdf/QuicRunWP1625-WP860-WP1060.pdf

2) So let me get this right, if you set trim position to the middle, wheels spin forwards at say 7/10, but if you push the trim all the way forwards the wheels then turn in reverse (and faster) ?

With the trim in the middle, is reverse faster than forwards ?

Do the wheels stop straight away when you're holding the wheels up off the ground or when it is running? Brushed motors do have a certain amount of drag brake, as already mentioned, and with the wheels off the ground the deceleration can be quite swift, but when on the ground the momentum allows the car to run on. That said, it does sound like there is more going on. Have you tried swapping your motor wire connections as it does sound like your forward/reverse are the wrong way round.

Alright let me tinker a little bit here and I'll post back. Finally found some doc on the actual motor wires.  The sport tuned has red/black while the 1060 has yellow and blue.  So the 1060, I believe yellow is positive and blue is negative, so it should be red to yellow, and blue to black.

Really appreciate the replies so far.