Saito2

Body options for Ultima runner build

I'm trying to decide between 3 body options for my Ultima runner build. The first would be a Tomahawk body (with wing) done somewhat in the spirit of Joel Johnson's '87 Wolrds winner. The second option would be a Turbo Ultima/Ultima Pro body as I always found them attractive too. The last option would be and Optima body (with wing). RC Car Action did this for their Project Ultima in the April '88 issue in which it also battled the RC10 as well.

I was thinking about building a Tomahawk with a wing but they were out of stock everywhere. I ended up getting an Ultima. My vote is for the Tomahawk body.

• Like 1

I don't think you'd go far wrong with any of those options, though if it were me I'd probably start with a Turbo Ultima shell, think they look really good, and can obviously spray it up to your own preference.

• Like 1

Ok, I think the Optima body is out as I already have an Optima (might as well go for something different ;)).

Whatever choice you make, you need to grow a mullet as well, to be period correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am considering getting a ultima myself but i dont see to many hop ups. Does anyone know of any? I know the optima universals work which i have an extra set from my optima. 

Kyosho America has some listed. The ones of note are graphite shock towers, yellow wheels, a CNC'd motor plate and f/r sway bar kit.

After some thought, I'm leaning toward the Turbo Ultima body. The Tomahawk body was considered because its reminiscent of Joel Johnson's '87 Worlds winner. That buggy had a flat graphite chassis so I'm not sure how the Tomahawk body will adapt to the stock ladder chassis I'm using. The Turbo Ultima body should be a drop-on affair however.

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Kyosho America has some listed. The ones of note are graphite shock towers, yellow wheels, a CNC'd motor plate and f/r sway bar kit.

I actually looked on there and rcmart after i posted. I wasnt aware of the carbon shock towers Which i would def get since the optima metal ones bend pretty easily. No need for the motor plate, though it is pretty lol. Im really curious if the optima rear hubs fit since i have a set of jazrider when i replaced my optima with kyosho ones. In the photos they look identical. Sways bars ehh, id also use my hobbywing justock 10.5 i took out of my egress. Just would need an esc

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

After some thought, I'm leaning toward the Turbo Ultima body. The Tomahawk body was considered because its reminiscent of Joel Johnson's '87 Worlds winner. That buggy had a flat graphite chassis so I'm not sure how the Tomahawk body will adapt to the stock ladder chassis I'm using. The Turbo Ultima body should be a drop-on affair however.

Or you do what i still may do and wait for a turbo ultima re re, im torn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

That's a good looking body as well. None of your choices are bad. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

Or you do what i still may do and wait for a turbo ultima re re, im torn

I considered this factor. Its very likely a Turbo Ultima is in the cards. I got the standard Ultima for several reasons. I wondered just how long it would take to get the Turbo version. Kyosho is slower to release their older buggies. There's always the threat that if investment bank that holds them now doesn't see good returns, they may not green-light further rereleases (purely conjecture on my part). I do question just how popular the latest rerelease of the Fantom will be. I don't know the popularity of 1/12th scale on-road, let alone a vintage version of it. I like the look of the Turbo, but not is livery and I don't like Platinum shocks (although we'd likely get modern shocks like the Turbo Optima did). I prefer the Ultima Pro XL myself. I also like gear diffs over a ball diff like the Turbo had. 

Considering the re-re Ultima already has longer rear shocks than original on new composite shock towers, the performance difference probably won't be that great. The Turbo will likely get the sway bars as standard and perhaps universals too. There's also the question of how Covid 19 will delay things. Just some random things bouncing around my head when justifying yet another RC car purchase to myself (and my wife) ;).

10 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I considered this factor. Its very likely a Turbo Ultima is in the cards. I got the standard Ultima for several reasons. I wondered just how long it would take to get the Turbo version. Kyosho is slower to release their older buggies. There's always the threat that if investment bank that holds them now doesn't see good returns, they may not green-light further rereleases (purely conjecture on my part). I do question just how popular the latest rerelease of the Fantom will be. I don't know the popularity of 1/12th scale on-road, let alone a vintage version of it. I like the look of the Turbo, but not is livery and I don't like Platinum shocks (although we'd likely get modern shocks like the Turbo Optima did). I prefer the Ultima Pro XL myself. I also like gear diffs over a ball diff like the Turbo had. 

Considering the re-re Ultima already has longer rear shocks than original on new composite shock towers, the performance difference probably won't be that great. The Turbo will likely get the sway bars as standard and perhaps universals too. There's also the question of how Covid 19 will delay things. Just some random things bouncing around my head when justifying yet another RC car purchase to myself (and my wife) ;).

I agree on everything you said especially with the virus not waiting for the turbo. Im surprised the ultima is available everywhere you look, makes you wonder about sales like you said. My only other option to buy would be an avante black but having an egress holds me back plus $200 more than an ultima

1 minute ago, Rb4276 said:

Im surprised the ultima is available everywhere you look

Yeah, I'm glad it is. The only other buggy still tempting me is the CAT XLS, but I don't know if I want that kind of frustration plus I'm in a 2wd kinda mood. RC10 parts are drying up and RC10s are just too ubiquitous despite the respect I have for them. I just have to be different. The Super Astute was a bit disappointing for me so that brought the Ultima into focus. It has the chops for it but still seems like an outlier compared to the Associated and Losi buggies from back then.  

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Yeah, I'm glad it is. The only other buggy still tempting me is the CAT XLS, but I don't know if I want that kind of frustration plus I'm in a 2wd kinda mood. RC10 parts are drying up and RC10s are just too ubiquitous despite the respect I have for them. I just have to be different. The Super Astute was a bit disappointing for me so that brought the Ultima into focus. It has the chops for it but still seems like an outlier compared to the Associated and Losi buggies from back then.  

I can get a brand new rc10 b6.1 team edition sealed for $200. Should i bite? Even though i dont race. I had an astute as a kid, looks great, performance not so great

7 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I can get a brand new rc10 b6.1 team edition sealed for $200. Should i bite? Even though i dont race.

That is cheap. I'd be interested in screwing one together just to see how a modern mid-motor 2wd ticks but beyond the first test drive, it probably wouldn't be for me. I have a picture in my mind what a 2wd buggy should look like (to me) and that ain't it. Personally, after the initial amazement of how well a modern buggy handles wears off, I'd get bored. I'm firmly stuck in retro-land with the Top Force being the newest design I own so I'm probably not the right person to ask. Heck of a price though. 

8 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Don’t forget the kyosho 38 and 50mm turnbuckles mine just arrived a few days ago. Never had a rc10b6.1 but that price is really tempting.

I forgot to mention them, they are the same also as i have for my optima

5 hours ago, Saito2 said:

That is cheap. I'd be interested in screwing one together just to see how a modern mid-motor 2wd ticks but beyond the first test drive, it probably wouldn't be for me. I have a picture in my mind what a 2wd buggy should look like (to me) and that ain't it. Personally, after the initial amazement of how well a modern buggy handles wears off, I'd get bored. I'm firmly stuck in retro-land with the Top Force being the newest design I own so I'm probably not the right person to ask. Heck of a price though. 

That is the thing, those midcab bodies are horrendous. Plus that one is discontinued so i was hesitant because of parts but many i was able to buy when i looked. 

On 7/17/2020 at 9:39 AM, Saito2 said:

Personally, after the initial amazement of how well a modern buggy handles wears off, I'd get bored

Trouble is, once you've got bored (I'm a couple of years in, and not bored yet!, but I'm racing so...) , when you go back to the , Classics , they seem slow and clumbersome.

On 8/12/2020 at 6:47 PM, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

just wondering if anyone has fit a turbo ultima, ultima 2, pro or tomahawk body to the rere ultima.

I'm putting a Turbo Ultima body on mine soon I hope. I ordered a body from TBG some time ago and am still waiting  on it. IIRC all the Turbo-style Ultima bodies are the same (Turbo, Pro, Pro XL, 2, Turbo 2 etc.) just cut differently for the ones past the initial Pro as they had longer wheelbases. It should fit as the original Turbo Ultima retained the ladder chassis of the original Ultima (although anodized a bronze color, possibly hard).

I want them to rerelease the Ultima Pro XL now, the final evolution of it so to speak.