Jump to content
Eth727

Just acquired vintage sand scorcher what do I need to get it running?

Recommended Posts

Hi. I have been away from RC cars since 1986. I just acquired a vintage sand scorcher . It has the radio,battery and charger from the 1980's . What do I need to get it running again? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I was recently in a similar position, away from RC for along time and acquired an original Sand Scorcher that was in rough shape. I made a thread about it, if you want to have a look:

First I took everything apart, cleaned each piece with a toothbrush, warm soapy water and wd40. Once apart, I replaced any parts that were missing/broken, or perished (all the rubber parts needed replacing). Then I rebuilt it, so I had a rolling chassis. There are Sand Scorcher manuals online, which help with putting it back together! I did make some modifications, I replaced the brass brushes for bearings and I removed the torsion bar suspension for coil overs. Once I had a solid base, then I thought about electronic options. 

 

I kept the original motor, but used a modern servo, battery, esc and receiver. It was all pretty much plug in and go. I am sure you will get some good advice from others on this forum.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Welcome back to the hobby!

The first thing I would do is test all of the included equipment for functionality. If you could add a few pictures that would be very helpful. I'm assuming that the car needs a speed controller, motor and steering servo based on that you did not mention that the car had them in your first post. I'm happy to give you some recommendations on the aforementioned equipment. 

Edited by Bash
added content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is it. I won it on eBay. I haven't received it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen the battery yet but what would you recommend for a average battery?

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the looks of the transmitter and being newer than the car, I would think it has been run in the last few years maybe. But that said, before I would run it, I would pull the gear box apart and clean it up and add new grease. If it still has the old grease in it, especially if it is 35+ year grease, it would be pretty dry. But, first thing I would do is pull it apart, inspect, clean and re-lube the drive train.  Then move onto getting new battery, check the electronics out. Then run it for awhile and enjoy it, eventually when the old "new" wears off, tear it completely down for a good re-build. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eth727 said:

I haven't seen the battery yet but what would you recommend for a average battery?

thanks

Any 6 cell Nimh battery will be perfect such as these: https://www.amazon.com/AWANFI-4200mAh-Battery-Connector-Associated/dp/B07V8651ZM/ref=sr_1_26?crid=36TFQE6QM3NSU&dchild=1&keywords=6+cell+7.2+volt+battery+pack&qid=1594903826&sprefix=6+cell+%2Cvideogames%2C186&sr=8-26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the guy I'm buying it from claims that it should run after being charged in its present state. He bought it in 1978 from Japan before it hit the US market. I'll survey it and replace and service whatever it needs. I'm concerned about getting replacement parts I heard some reissued sand scorchers have updated parts that might not work with my model or might need to be retrofitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bash said:

Sorry won't fit, the SRB only fit 6volt five cells side by side or a 7.2 six cell humppack. Other thing for most vintage Tamiya everything bigger than a six cell 3300 mah NiMh will be too long due to cell sizes not being standardized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, waterbok said:

Sorry won't fit, the SRB only fit 6volt five cells side by side or a 7.2 six cell humppack. Other thing for most vintage Tamiya everything bigger than a six cell 3300 mah NiMh will be too long due to cell sizes not being standardized.

Wow, Didn't know that. Not sure what will work then since those pack configurations are very uncommon. Maybe a small 2s Lipo would work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bash said:

Wow, Didn't know that. Not sure what will work then since those pack configurations are very uncommon. Maybe a small 2s Lipo would work?

I've been running a 2s Gens Ace hard pack (138mm x 46mm x 24mm) in my ReRe SRB for some time with no issues after shuffling thing around in the clear box.

I put the servo on the outside with some help from my LHS using A Hitec mighty mini HS-225MG, servo posts, and Losi linkage, (a thin bit of clear plastic was used to close off the front of the clear box) and a bit of Velcro to stop the battery sliding around.

 All depends on how original you want to keep it. 

I had a six cell NiMH stick pack for a while but once it died I switched to the LiPo. Just be aware that the LiPo gives you a bit more poke and could be a bit hard on original vintage parts.

With the Stick pack,

Mn2qMBUh.jpg

With the LiPo, 

5CUOmJlh.jpg

LiPo and LiPo compatible ESC,

4CA1BF76-328A-4B8E-AF99-96AE2F3B2E92.jpg

The wheels get changed between shelf and running duties as does the body.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eth727 said:

So the guy I'm buying it from claims that it should run after being charged in its present state. He bought it in 1978 from Japan before it hit the US market. I'll survey it and replace and service whatever it needs. I'm concerned about getting replacement parts I heard some reissued sand scorchers have updated parts that might not work with my model or might need to be retrofitted.

I believe the Gearbox internals an Shocks are not interchangeable between Original and Re-release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I've been running a 2s Gens Ace hard pack (138mm x 46mm x 24mm) in my ReRe SRB for some time with no issues after shuffling thing around in the clear box.

I put the servo on the outside with some help from my LHS using A Hitec mighty mini HS-225MG, servo posts, and Losi linkage, (a thin bit of clear plastic was used to close off the front of the clear box) and a bit of Velcro to stop the battery sliding around.

 All depends on how original you want to keep it. 

I had a six cell NiMH stick pack for a while but once it died I switched to the LiPo. Just be aware that the LiPo gives you a bit more poke and could be a bit hard on original vintage parts.

With the Stick pack,

Mn2qMBUh.jpg

With the LiPo, 

5CUOmJlh.jpg

LiPo and LiPo compatible ESC,

4CA1BF76-328A-4B8E-AF99-96AE2F3B2E92.jpg

The wheels get changed between shelf and running duties as does the body.

I like the steering mod I've been trying to do mine, I've tried many ways but never thought of putting the servo that way 👍

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my re-re Sand Scorcher, I bought a standard 6 cell, took it apart and reconfigured it into a hump back (like the vintage hump backs). Not hard to do if you have some soldering skills, and works and fits perfect. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the hump back pack I made from a standard 6 cell. Crudely wrapped with electrical tape. But it works very well. 

20200717_080154.jpg

20200717_080350.jpg

20200717_080420.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...