Mad Ax

Paralysed by indecision

Does anyone else ever get this?

My wife has a saying: indecision leads to inactivity.  That means, if you spend ages trying to decide what to do, you end up doing nothing at all.

I've been struggling a lot with indecision on my downtime - I've got so many things I could do, I can never decide what to actually do.  No more so than with prepping and painting bodies.

I recently put 4 different bodies on my SCX10 to see which I wanted to use.  There was nothing wrong with the G6 Wrangler body on there, I just never really liked it.  After cutting a vintage Blackfoot body in half to see if I could extend it to fit, and after making multiple sets of links to try different bodies, I settled on the Proline Cherokee body that I bought for this truck several years ago.

I probably wouldn't have bought if it I'd known it didn't come with window decals.  There's a lot of other scale detail on the body that won't look right unless it's coloured.  All the trim needs to be painted on.  I don't dislike painting, but I hate masking.  I have 3 unpainted bodies in front of me right now and at least another 3 in the workshop that could drop right over some finished chassis, but I always defer them for something more enjoyable.

Anyway, I think I've worked out how I'm going to mask off the tricky areas, but now I'm struggling with a colour scheme.  Every time I close my eyes, I see it in white.  But everybody does their Cherokee in white.  I don't want to drive what everybody else has.  I've got a bunch of colours in stock and I've come up with a few schemes that will look good, but I just can't decide.  One captures the essence of a sporty theme (it's a competition truck, after all) and gives plenty of opportunity to add body details.  One is a classic vintage colour for that sort of truck.  One is sporty and has the benefit of being mostly black, so I don't need to paint any of the trim separately.  In turn, each has its benefits and each looks good in my head.  I just can't decide which.  Either way it's going to be a lot of work, and if I go for the mostly black option I'll probably always wonder how much better it would look if the trim parts stood out from the metal parts.

Does anyone else get this?  The weather is good today and if I'd made a decision on Monday I could be painting during work breaks.  As it is, I probably won't have time to pick up a spray can until next week, and that assumes I have time to mask it before then...  I guess I'm regretting not having got on and done it already, and more so wondering if my indecision is just another way of procrastinating over doing something I don't want to do.

In a similar vein, part of me wants to convert my SCX10 into a monster truck, and replace it with a G-made BOM.  Pandemic allowing, we might get a bit of a crawling season this winter.  Although the SCX10 has never failed, it is many years old and properly beaten up.  With events taking place less often, having less spaces and more demand and with more risk than before, it would be a shame to turn up and have the truck break on the first section.  I don't really have the budget for a BOM (I've already bought a load of things I didn't have a budget for) and I've got loads of other unfinished stuff that demands my spare cash.  But I think partly I'm procrastinating over putting a lot of work into a truck that I might pull apart in a couple of months...

Please tell me I'm not the only one :D

• Like 4

Well, what you have described there, is me. I thought I was the only one with Indecision tendencies. I think I'm a perfectionist and that means I quite often change my mind on a build looking for the 'perfect' look, or 'perfect' set up etc. But over the years I've just come to the conclusion that that's how I am. I really enjoying building and changing stuff around so I just deal with it. I must confess though that I've owned 3 scx10II's and sold them all before completing them. On a plus side though, I find that the builds I do end up finishing I am really pleased with. 

• Like 3

I know what you mean! For me the last parts needed to complete a project can be impossible, just hecause its the last bit and I can never quite get around to it

• Like 3

You're not the only one. Everyone of my "bigger decisions" takes a lot of time. I have to work through all the perceived possible outcomes and their attendant ramifications before arriving at a proper conclusion. The good part is I often make decent decisions as I'm pretty much the opposite of a spur-of-the-moment person. The bad part is the calculations involving all the variables takes an inordinate amount of time. Too much info at once cause me to "lock up" and not enough causes even more time working things out. Matters of aesthetics are the worst because there are no hard and fast rules on what looks good and often times what looks good in the mind's eye doesn't translate 100% to reality. I stick with boxart for this reason among others ;). This made me a terrible soccer player BITD too.

• Like 4

Indecision is usually a decision in itself isn't it?

Or like me just a sign of over thinking something quite unnecessarily in other people eyes   :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I feel the pain.. I'm stuck on a colour scheme too, I've done a reasonable job of the monster beetle painting in the Italian red as per instructions, trouble is when I lay the stickers on it, they really clash.. I mean, the colour combination is awful.. when I look at the pictures online I think pretty much all of the box art versions I see are using an unpainted shell, like the ones you see in the pictures of modelsport.. it's bare red ABS as supplied, I still don't think the colours gel well on that, but they look terrible on proper finished Italian red.. So I'm torn between keeping the shell looking good and not using the stickers or putting them on so it's box art and throwing up a little in my mouth because of the colour clash.. Or the third more expensive version of getting another shell for box art and putting it in storage... anyone else? or just me? :) I really wanted to put the decals on, but I honestly think they'd ruin it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Indecision is usually a decision in itself isn't it?

Or like me just a sign of over thinking something quite unnecessarily in other people eyes   :D

I don't know I haven't decided yet.

• Haha 2

The daft thing is, about 10 minutes after posting this (it was sitting in a window for 2 hours waiting for me to 'decide' to click the Submit button), I spotted a 1:1 Cherokee in an image search painted orange.  Which was not one of my colour choices listed above.  And at that point, I was dead set: I was going to do orange.

An hour later and now I'm not sure again.  But a single solid colour sure would save a lot of masking.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

But a single solid colour sure would save a lot of masking.

I like masking. While I'm masking, I haven't wrecked the paintjob yet. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are most definitely not alone, I used to be very indecisive, but now I’m not so sure 🤔.....

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

I like masking. While I'm masking, I haven't wrecked the paintjob yet. :)

In fairness, I actually did a fairly complex masking job on Sunday and I kind of enjoyed it.  And it went well, too, with good results and only some minor leaks that I fixed with some Carson paint killer on a cotton bud.

I don't usually do masking jobs on a Sunday because Sunday is officially my 1 day of the week when I don't have any chores.  Well, besides cooking, but I don't seem to be able to get away from it, unless I accept the alternatives, which are takeaway or starve.  But on this day I really was feeling buried under the amount of bodies I needed to paint, so that was that, grabbed my Siren body and sat out in the sunshine and stuck tape all over it.

I still haven't got around to designing and printing the stickers for it yet, tho, or fitting the detail stickers that came with it.

I'm racing this Sunday, and instead of spending my mid-race time waiting for the next race to start, I could just get on and mask my Cherokee body.  Unless I find some way of getting it done at lunch, then I can start painting it during work breaks...

• Like 1

For me it is not so much indecision as procrastination.

I cut out and painted a Hornet shell and wing last summer. I was really pleased with it, my best effort yet.

I still need to put the decals on it...

At the same time I finished my XV-01T, didn’t make such a good job of it so I stuck it in a box until I felt better about it. Hasn’t happened yet, still awaiting decals...

To avoid this issue with  my M05-RA, I planned to buy a finished shell. Then COVID happened and the supply of painted Swift bodies dried up. So my lovely chassis is waiting for me to go through process of cut, paint and never decal...

At least the trail truck I’m working on has a coloured hardbody!

As my wife says to me when we are out shopping ... “just pick one!!!!!”

• Haha 2

@Badcrumble I have a used pre-painted Swift body if you want it, you can have it for postage cost.  A bit battered and has dirt on it from 13 years ago, can't remember how battered it is but will dig it out later and grab some photos if you like.

Tried to PM you but I think your inbox is full.

I'd love to contribute to this thread, but after lots of indecision, i cant decide what to say...:wacko:

J

• Haha 2