OCD

Rough Rider Covers?

Just got these aluminum covers on the 'Bay for good price bin-

Was thinking I could use them for a near future Frog...

I've never owned a RR so I'm not familiar with the wheels / tires for this buggy. After looking through some showroom examples, I noticed that the RR's OEM tires are (or appear to be) Sandblaster 915's- of which I have a set. When I tried to fit them -WHOA! Tight fit? I couldn't get them on the wheels at all.[:(!] Am I mistaken? Do RR wheels accept 915's?[?]

Here is a pic showing what I have, and I included the Scorcher rim to give a sense of scale:

IMG_2999.jpg

And here's a close up of the wheel covers themselves:

IMG_3000.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about these?

-->previously omitted that these are aluminum covers<--

Well, those rims look to be the right kind.. Now this may seem a bit stupid to ask, but you are aware of the fact that you must disassemble the rims before attaching the tires, right?. the idea is to put the center part, (Large circumference) into the tire first, and then attach the front and back sections, capturing the bead of the tire. Kinda like beadlocks on truck rims..

If you are not taking apart the rims, it will be impossible to fit the tires..

Best regards.

Michael

Yeah, I am familiar with Tamiya three-piece wheels. It just that the Rough Rider center is a REALLY tight fit in those Sand Blasters... What am I doing wrong here?

Well, nothing really. As said, from the pics, it looks as if the centers are the right ones (grey colour), but they ARE a really tight fit, and not at all easy to gte in place, especially if the tires are brandnew..

So just roll up the sleeves, and get a really good grip on those tires, and show them who´s the boss.

They MUST fit!. No questions asked

:)

Thanks for the advice- I'll have a go at it.. Just wanted be sure [;)]

Have any input on the wheelcovers? Clearly not RCH - anyone know who made these?

(Better yet, anyone have the fronts to match?)

They could be either CRP or ProLine i think..

Surely you must be able to find a set for the fronts also.

None of my 5 RR´s have got those cool covers either, (yet, LOL)..

Please post a pic when you have the tires mounted on the rims.. (And dont forget to paint the lettering also. :)

Cheers..

Michael

Did CRP and Proline make alloy covers?

Oh, and any tips on letter painting would be appreciated;

so far all I have to work with is a fine brush and a steady hand.[;)]

Ask Shodog, he'll know.

I don't think Proline or CRP made alloy covers (except the CRP rear Holiday buggy covers).

They look nice though. I like the machine bolts along the outer diameter of the inner wheel for the 1:1 three piece wheel look.

Thanks- I like them too. Just wish I could find some fronts to go with...

I tried to reply to this thread twice but the reply never showed.

This is the first time I have seen a set of these. RCH was the most prolific maker of aluminum covers but there were others like Race Prep and Losi. RCH never drilled dimples in the rims. I am kinda leaning towards the losi end as I have a set of RC-10 covers with the dimples drilled into them similar to your Rough Riders

If your interested, I can sell you a set of red RCH fronts and you could strip the annodizing off to make them silver.

Here's a pic of it with a 915 tire mounted (No easy task- just look at the marks it left on the

sidewall! [B)] )

IMG_3009.jpg

I put the wheel on my Brat to give an idea of what it looks like 'in use' , but I'll hang on to them for another buggy project. Like I said- some matching fronts would be sweet, but I could settle for a set of RCH's or W.H.Y...[;)]

(info highly appreciated always! [:)] )

Mystery covers eh?

Well I am suprised! I thought maybe you owned an example of every alloy part made [:D][:P] Never realised how many brands were selling high $ parts like aluminum covers. They really are well made, the finish is even 'brushed' like the real thing.

A set of RCH fronts would be cool- but I might just anodize the rears to match. I have a set a RCH 1.5's that have been stripped, but they look kind of sad as a result.

Those are some sweet looking Brat covers, Shodog..[^]

Oh decisions [:(][xx(][?]

Well, I just bought a set of used brat wheels from another TC member

(Thanks Volksnhousin)

Was going to use the plastic, but... MAN you are tempting me!!

Would you be interested in the RR covers- maybe we could work out a partial trade?

lemmeknow[8D]

If those 915s were from a Wild Ceptor then it might explain why they were hard to fit. The Ceptor tyres that I have seem to be made from a harder compound than the original 915s.

Thanks for the tip, Bluefoot...

They are indeed 'Ceptor tires- guess I forgot to mention that[:I]

I don't suppose the new compound makes them better than the old type?

Maybe more resistant to deterioration? Tamiya, always changing things ...[xx(]

Did you get my email about the wheelcovers? I might still be interested in picking up a set of 1.5 fronts- not sure with what's happening with the messages, but I did get a few from you about the addl. sets..

Lemmeknow[8D]

Harder compound might wear better I suppose. It's more likely to be that they will stay on the Ceptor rims better though. The old 3-piece rims locked the tyres on, whereas the Ceptors just sit there like a Touring car wheel/tyre.

I just had another go at sending an invoice!

Cheers,

Don.

quote:Originally posted by Bluefoot

Harder compound might wear better I suppose. It's more likely to be that they will stay on the Ceptor rims better though. The old 3-piece rims locked the tyres on, whereas the Ceptors just sit there like a Touring car wheel/tyre.

I just had another go at sending an invoice!

Cheers,

Don.

id="quote">id="quote">

I got the Invoice Don-

Let me get back to you in a day or so- I might be trading off these RR rears, so I may not need any fronts after all. I'll keep you posted [:)]

Much worse to fit are the rear Super Champ/Hornet tires, those knobbies make things even more difficult, I hate them [:(!] LOL

Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by DJTheo

Much worse to fit are the rear Super Champ/Hornet tires, those knobbies make things even more difficult, I hate them [
:(
!] LOL

Cheers

id="quote">id="quote">

hehe, just try fitting a Hornet tyre onto a Rough Rider rear rim... [:)]

quote:
Originally posted by Shodog

I got these in a trade but don't think I will use them.

id="quote">id="quote">

Hey Shodog- sent you an email about these..

Didya get it?

Thank you for bringing back this fading memory LOL :lol:

I eventually traded these to @Shodog for a set of slightly-damaged aluminum Brat wheel covers (that I actually still have :D).

6 minutes ago, scootmike said:

Ok thanks for the reply!

No problem!

Those really do look like the matching fronts. That design is fantastic and I would love to know who produced these covers... Maybe just one-offs? It sure would be cool if the two could be reunited again ;)