Sign in to follow this  
metalheadDad

Confused: Wheel and tires for re-re's

So I e got a re-re Hornet and Hotshot.

I'd like to use some street style tires and/or alt wheels to have as backups.

The Hornet I realize uses some smaller wheels..I think 1.9"? And so I believe I can use tires from the Brat for it. Correct?

With the Hotshot...which I haven't opened the box yet. I had seen all these amazing photos of guys putting the Tamiya "O.Z." style wheels on it with more street style tires. So I went and bought modern Proline buggy front /rear 2.2" tires. And sourced some official Tamiya wheels.

These are the wheels I ordered

OP-880 (53880) Large Dish Wheels (4WD/Front, 62/25)

OP-881 (53881) Large Dish Wheels (Rear, 62/35)

The Proline tired came today..4WD Buggy 2.2" tires and it looks like the tires inner diameter won't fit the wheel? Note: I don't have the wheel yet..I'm basing it off the standard Hotshot wheel in the kit.

Color me confused. Am I stuck with trying to source Tamiya vintage sized tires for the re-re or do I need to find a diff set of wheels to fit the modern size tires?

Or are those "large dish" Tamiya wheels the same size as modern buggy wheels?

Thanks in advance

Chris

• Like 1

At least for the Hotshot, you can use the Tamiya Dual Block tires (54187/54188).

20180319_215412.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mahjik said:

At least for the Hotshot, you can use the Tamiya Dual Block tires (54187/54188).

20180319_215412.jpg

Very cool...on which wheels though? Are those standard Hotshot wheels? Or modern size 2.2" buggy wheels?

5 hours ago, metalheadDad said:

Very cool...on which wheels though? Are those standard Hotshot wheels? Or modern size 2.2" buggy wheels?

Standard HotShot wheel.

• Thanks 1

If you remove the 'red triangles' that attaches to the pin going through the axles that the standard hotshot wheels clamp to and replace them with 12mm hex (metal or plastic) then you will be able to fit a much wider variety of wheels and tyres  - but just be mindful of your offsets as some wheels might rub on the suspension arms and/or steering knuckles. 

Insofar as the hornet is concerned, there is an adaptor you can buy which I think was originally designed for the frog which allows for fitting of 12mm hex and so a larger selection of wheels and tyres.

• Like 2

If you're sticking with the standard Hornet Wheels, they are 1.55"... 

Tires are available, but none cheap. I would take the suggestion of going with Hex Hubs. You'll have a wide variety of Wheels to choose from.

• Like 1

Thank you all! I think I've figured out the correct options. Ultimately I can try and source tires that just fit the stock wheels or convert to accept the current 12mm hex wheel options.

For Hotshot

- to convert to 12mm hex 

ITEM#53056 can be used on the front and rear for a 4wd buggy

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=TAMC3056

For Hornet:

ITEM# 53913
RC FROG 2005 ALUM WHEEL ADAPT

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/option-parts/rc-frog-2005-alum-wheel-adapt/

• Like 2

Yep those are the ones. You wouldn't have to necessarily stick to tamiya items for the hotshot 12mm hex as these are industry standard so lots of manufacturers make them but, if you want to keep 100% T, then they're as good as any (and better than some 😁). 

On 7/18/2020 at 10:51 AM, Mahjik said:

20180319_215412.jpg

Thanks for the info.  I keep thinking about pulling the trigger on a HS re-re for my son (rather than letting him use mine, so we'd both we able to run cars).

And then the Avante is being re-released this year, and I'm like "that would be cool for me, and he could use my old HS!"

17 hours ago, retrotx said:

Thanks for the info.  I keep thinking about pulling the trigger on a HS re-re for my son (rather than letting him use mine, so we'd both we able to run cars).

And then the Avante is being re-released this year, and I'm like "that would be cool for me, and he could use my old HS!"

There are some photos out there of Hotshots using the Dark Impact wheels/tires.  I tried that route but found it hard to obtain the wheels.  The Block tires were easy to get so I just went that route.