Sign in to follow this  
briscaF1

Mad Bull 3D printed steering arm?

Hi,

Dunno if it is OK to ask this but here goes....

I was looking around for an STL file for a replacement Mad Bull DT-01 steering arm; the one with the track rods attached. Just thought that, given how poor the bog standard one is with the bent wire, someone might have one that maintains geometry but is a little 'beefed up' and does the same job. Or, are 3D printed ones not strong enough/a no-no?

Otherwise, anyone know of one?

Cheers in advance.

I think the usual fix for this is a very short turnbuckle linking the servo horn to the steering arm. I have 2 madbulls and apart from some fettling getting it in, it has been 100% better than stock. Can't say as I've ever seen a 3D printed part for this job.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

I think the usual fix for this is a very short turnbuckle linking the servo horn to the steering arm. I have 2 madbulls and apart from some fettling getting it in, it has been 100% better than stock. Can't say as I've ever seen a 3D printed part for this job.

Do you know what parts are required for this? I've not got any RC spares trays to rummage in. 

I guess there are 

2x ball joints (ball size? Thread size? Any part numbers or links?

2x short ball sockets/adjusters (are these for 5mm balls? Accept 3mm threaded bar? Any part numbers?)

1x threaded bar (3mm?)

Nuts for ball joints? (Thread size/any part numbers?)

Or are there any kit sets that would work for this job?

I don't have a model shop nearby and don't fancy ordering a lot of parts only to find out they're too big/too small etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briscaF1 said:

Do you know what parts are required for this? I've not got any RC spares trays to rummage in. 

I guess there are 

2x ball joints (ball size? Thread size? Any part numbers or links?

2x short ball sockets/adjusters (are these for 5mm balls? Accept 3mm threaded bar? Any part numbers?)

1x threaded bar (3mm?)

Nuts for ball joints? (Thread size/any part numbers?)

Or are there any kit sets that would work for this job?

I don't have a model shop nearby and don't fancy ordering a lot of parts only to find out they're too big/too small etc

I'm at work all day today but will have a look tomorrow and post a pic. I'll have a look for part numbers etc too (unless someone posts them up before then) as, like you, I've ordered lots of the wrong  bits in the past...but they invariably come in useful somewhere further down the line. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

I'm at work all day today but will have a look tomorrow and post a pic. I'll have a look for part numbers etc too (unless someone posts them up before then) as, like you, I've ordered lots of the wrong  bits in the past...but they invariably come in useful somewhere further down the line. 

That'd be great. Thanks.

• Like 1

This is the turnbuckle setup on one of my madbulls. It is the tt01 turnbuckle set. If you google or look on ebay they are still readily available for around £5. You may have to drill a new hole in the white steering arm as the stock position will foul - at least it did on mine. You can use the included hardware with the turnbuckle set as the movement is large confined to the horizontal plane. What vertical movement there is will be easily accommodated by the included hardware. Hope that makes sense 👍🙂

15952428228692474774042995552014.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

This is the turnbuckle setup on one of my madbulls. It is the tt01 turnbuckle set. If you google or look on ebay they are still readily available for around £5. You may have to drill a new hole in the white steering arm as the stock position will foul - at least it did on mine. You can use the included hardware with the turnbuckle set as the movement is large confined to the horizontal plane. What vertical movement there is will be easily accommodated by the included hardware. Hope that makes sense 👍🙂

15952428228692474774042995552014.jpg

That's great, thanks. Look like there's little stock around and prices have been hiked on those that are - these are going for over £10-12 delivered. I'll probably wait it out until people get stock again.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

• Like 1

No worries. Depending on how much of a rush you're in, there are after market parts available more cheaply, but takes longer to arrive - for example GPM turnbuckles will do the job just as well..

Alternatively, you could make your own out of 3mm threaded shaft cut to around 2.5 cm with the connectors threaded on the end. That is what I did with my other madbull and again, works just fine. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do 👍

• Thanks 1