Sign in to follow this  
stefank

Tamiya fw07 58019 help

hello.. so im about to start my fw07...  but  i have new chassi and a motor mount new... listed as compatible with 58019... but there is difference  with chassi thats on it.. and the current motor holder is just bwnt metal.... is this correct parts fpr this? second is red bell engine on it.. was this original on this kit? its also a few mm shorter in rear end... (still all holes needed for the alu motor holder... but the metal holder would not fit

Screenshot_20200718-184927_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200718-184827_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200718-184911_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200718-184859_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200718-184840_Gallery.jpg

The red bell motor is not period correct for this kit, it was usually to be found on the group C cars such as the Porsche 956. It would originaly have been fitted with a standard Mabuchi RS-540 silver can motor with a white end.

The chassis you have on the car is the original version of the compettion special, whereas the new one, which is also a competion special, was a generic replacement for all of the cars that used the CS chassis, so it had to have the extra holes at the back for the different rear ends fitted to the various kits. Yours would have had a plastic upright panel screwed onto the end of the chassis under the wing with the gearbox, brakes and exhausts on.  It is the same chassis and gearcase as the Countach, Celica and Porsche 936 CS.

The new gearcase you have is the one that was fitted to the non competition specials, such as the Ferrari 312T3, the original CS type is very rare and hard to find now. The non CS type fitted to the Celica and the Countach is simillar, but the CS type is unique in its design.

I have attached some pictures of some of my spares with the part numbers, and the missing rear panel so you can look out for one.  #124 is the original chassis fitted to your car, teh little slot at the back in the middle is where the rear panel should locate with the two bolts either side. #86 is the gearcase you have, and #65 is the non CS type gearbox which is simillar to the original one on your car.

J

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I don’t reckon the FW07 had the rear bulkhead (upright panel)? Neither of mine have this.

Also a minor point but I think the CS Ligier had the old style motor mount, maybe because it sits on an aluminium chassis?

Great car, worthy of a resto!!

• Like 1

hello. thanks guys for the replies

so dismantled all and cleaned up the old original chassi and  stuff added some new tyres  ... the electronic case is ongoing to be cleaned up....

i called my friend and asked (he officially raced with this car when it was new and then was put in storage for 40 years almost)

he tells that the engine has to be "periodic" correct  he reckon around 1980 or 1981  as  he has memory that original engine was never mounted on (hence a new silver vintage can in part box).. but he is getting to his older age  so..  his memory might also not be the best anymore :).....  

then i took the new chassi and mounted my "older "parts on it and some new uprights i had in spare... i can not understand how this chassi  can be listed as a generic replacement as the CS gear gase  will not mount on it (missing 2 holes) ... its ment for the alu gear case only. but listed on tamiyabase as a chassi option for fw07

and from what is see  that also the alu gear case is listed as a spare to fw07.

anyway i stayed with the original chassi and gearbox... now just the question am i going to put back the red bell engine or the original silver can :)?

if i could find a second electronics holder and mirrors i could complete 2 cars

Screenshot_20200720-100300_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-100355_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-100334_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-100322_Gallery.jpg

had to dig out my guide books an catalogues i got from same friend that i "heritaged" the models  and i dont have older than 1981 catalogue and the leyland guidebook... but in both the black engine is listed and i see that my friend has made a mark on theses parts.. like a shopping list :)

Screenshot_20200720-110432_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-110509_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-110456_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-110443_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-110436_Gallery.jpg

what i do see is same difference as in silver can engines... the one that my friend claims he built the car with (one to the left)  and then  the  later option  sold without gear case (to the right) left one has two openings and the later one 4 (also illustrated on box with 4 holes) and a black engine i took from a lola i broke for parts.. also 2 holes

Screenshot_20200720-111508_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-112026_Gallery.jpg

They also did that black motor with a blue end, which was classed as the endurance motor, and had a lower top speed, but lasted longer on the battery, so better for distance racing.

J

DSC_5957.JPG

17 hours ago, junkmunki said:

They also did that black motor with a blue end, which was classed as the endurance motor, and had a lower top speed, but lasted longer on the battery, so better for distance racing.

J

DSC_5957.JPG

yes correct .. have it but what i found it was only at like 1983/84 available and so far only seen it with 4 slots while the red bell 2 slots i can trace back to mid 1980. cheers

11 hours ago, stefank said:

would been very interested if it had the original mirrors

If you buy it I’ll design and 3D print some for you! 🙂