wtcc5

wtcc5's FF-01 addiction

guys, If i had to replace the front steering knuckles.  is there another car that would fit and is there an aluminum alternative you have seen?

• Like 1

0005377 C-hubs of the Ta01/Ta02/Manta Ray/Top Force/DF0 will fit

Also: Yeah Racing  YR-TA01-005 & GPM Racing GR-TA2T019

0445246 Steering hubs of the Ta03/Ta02/CC01 will fit

Also: GPM Racing GR-TA3021

• Thanks 1

Ordered a few things from RC mart :)   i want to beef up the front end and make sure we don't have any issues.  really my only worry at this point is the shock towers...

i wish the knuckles came in silver.. :(

image.png.a3126ecb204b55a297f100dcc0b1020d.png

• Like 3

So..... Some of the money I wasted on Aluminium upgrades for my CC-01 can be transferred to a FF-01??? NICE!!

• Like 1

Christmas project!  :)

3f1750e9-125e-435e-b8vkma.jpeg

Yes, this is the original box. A genuine VW part... VW also sold this in the USA. A rebranded Tamiya FF-01 New Beetle. I really like how Tamiya (Germany?) worked together with so many car brands. Quincy and I now discovered Honda, Nissan and VW having FF-01 R/C cars of their 1:1 models. Really cool!

Info on the box:

fd0055da-84d5-4ed6-9vhj9l.jpeg

Chassis and body:

58890829-a96c-45af-azekae.jpeg

The previous owner has driven it for a while. Fortunately he took good care of it. It has only a few scratches and the bumper had only slow impacts. The price was very good. Maybe the owner didn't know that it was rebranded. 55€ and it was mine :D

As I have an undriven New Beetle body and rims, I will clean and rebuild it and change worn parts in the process. Christmas will be nice.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, wtcc5 said:

Christmas project!  :)

3f1750e9-125e-435e-b8vkma.jpeg

Yes, this is the original box. A genuine VW part... VW also sold this in the USA. A rebranded Tamiya FF-01 New Beetle. I really like how Tamiya (Germany?) worked together with so many car brands. Quincy and I now discovered Honda, Nissan and VW having FF-01 R/C cars of their 1:1 models. Really cool!

Info on the box:

fd0055da-84d5-4ed6-9vhj9l.jpeg

Chassis and body:

58890829-a96c-45af-azekae.jpeg

The previous owner has driven it for a while. Fortunately he took good care of it. It has only a few scratches and the bumper had only slow impacts. The price was very good. Maybe the owner didn't know that it was rebranded. 55€ and it was mine :D

As I have an undriven New Beetle body and rims, I will clean and rebuild it and change worn parts in the process. Christmas will be nice.

These were so nice! And with a decal set, you can rescue the body, it looks a bit too easy done with the missing detils like lights, inicators and so on...

I always faked the Turbo wing above the rear window with scrap pieces of Lexan.;)

Good luck for the Resto Kevin!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

I always faked the Turbo wing above the rear window with scrap pieces of Lexan.;)

Thanks! Any pictures of this work? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Aerobert So you bought the Mondeo? The silver one?

Yes, the silver one. I'm waiting for delivery, but it's more likely that it will be delivered next week.

Nice! When I wrote this guy, he said it is already reserved. Good, that it was for you :D

• Like 1

I wish you all a merry christmas and hope that the presents were nice!

I relaxed as much as possible by working on the recently purchased New Beetle.

It all started with a souvenir I found underneath the servo:

80af4422-f259-446f-9w3k75.jpeg

I took the chassis apart:

5869cc96-c14d-4ddc-b2ujfo.jpeg

And separated the parts into "cleaning" and "bin". This is the "bin" pile:

aa7e5c12-1f08-480c-b1pker.jpeg

You just have to love the parts quality! The car was used to a point were the tires were worn down to a slick in front and still no sign of wear in the drivetrain:

d8052b3a-7878-465e-bh8jrq.jpeg

6a970139-6449-456d-8mujxy.jpeg

Look how shiny the parts became. The Plastic was washed with dishsoap and the metal parts took a bath in white spirit.

c88480ae-128c-4d4c-904jur.jpeg

This point is the best. Every part is clean and I can start the 3D-puzzling.

Done:

90b72385-5310-4f67-8arkkp.jpeg

This chassis will stay time specific box-stock and functional. Just batteries in and I can relive the 90s if I want to. The body and wheels came of a shelfqueen I aquired months ago. Like this the car looks like new :) 

Comparison: The maybe cheapest FF-01 version with the maybe most expensive and rare one.

48b99a2e-8236-4fec-b0nj0s.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas! The New Beetle coming out great. And you are right, the best part is to look at all the cleaned and shiny parts and starting to re-assemble.

I can't stop looking at your Primeras. They are such great looking cars. 👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

And separated the parts into "cleaning" and "bin". This is the "bin" pile:

When you say 'bin' do you use that in the British English sense, as in, rubbish bin, trash - or the more general meaning of 'receptacle', e.g., 'parts bin'? 

If the first then I'm surprised you'd be throwing away what appear to be perfectly serviceable/usable parts. For one, that four-hole silver can is as good as a black sport-tuned. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I meant „throw away“. The rims were scratched everywhere, the tires started to fall to pieces and the mechanic esc was corroded. The receiver and remote has no value for me and in Germany (tried to sell for some €, but nobody cares) and I also have another one that I use for this car.

To throw away the motor was the initial idea, but I didn’t have another one of this type, so I cleaned it and it went back on the car :rolleyes: Was a good decision then. I just didn’t make another picture.

Thanks for the additional info about silver cans. I have no knowledge of their differences. Just shiny ones and grey ones...

On 12/25/2020 at 9:04 PM, Aerobert said:

I can't stop looking at your Primeras. They are such great looking cars. 👍

Thanks! I cannot explain what makes them look so good for me (us). In the 90s they looked just average for me... but now :wub:

I stumbled across this life action picture recently of the JTCC race at Fuji in 1994:

e63fa2bb-7d44-4d5c-bmbk2f.jpeg

Picture by Yoshihide Ashizawa

• Like 4

I guess in parts it's the different look to modern cars. For me additionally, I've always liked saloon / sedan cars. 

Great picture!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Aerobert said:

I guess in parts it's the different look to modern cars. For me additionally, I've always liked saloon / sedan cars. 

Great picture!

They are in right proportions and just looks as a normal car should. Just my two cents on the same as I’m in love of 90s cars. 

• Like 1

Hi I dug put my old rc car yesterday to bring back to life, its a calsonic Nissan primera but I don't have the body, i need the rear bit that the suspension bolts to and a body. 

Any idea where I can buy them? Al put some pics up

IMG_20201229_150721.jpg

• Like 3

What a precious beauty :wub: 

I want to buy it right away (and have a Primera body and exterior parts „laying“ around).

Unfortunately I cannot help with the rear shocktower, but I remember to have read a way to make a worthy replacement in the „FF01 bandwagon jumping“ thread here in the builds forum.

I sent a message ;)

Some months ago @Quincy and I suffered several diff-outdrive failures. We had a lot of shattering in tight corners. A normal problem, but as parts are getting rare, we don't want to waste them. So I thought about the use of double cardan joint shafts. Until then these weren't available in the right length... now they are, thanks to the recently published TC-01.

Today I tried to implement these drive shafts (42372) and it worked!

5bd0b698-a9bf-4fbb-9jekll.jpeg

This is how I made it: I kept the outter bearing, removed the inner bearing. In its place comes this plastic ring (3D-print) with the 5x10x3mm bearing of the driveshaft-set. As the outter bearing has 6mm inner diameter I need the little sleeve, but this can be avoided by just using a 5x12x4mm bearing. Why all this workaround? Well the geometry of the hubs changed over time and with it the axle geometry.

0b3bc9b9-d1f0-474a-azcjf0.jpeg

4ab9bf7e-21d1-4f6d-aqbk2e.jpeg

Fortunately the c-hub just needed a minor change by removing a little material to allow the axle the needed space in steering lock situations.

ca9994f8-d3bd-4102-adrkrb.jpeg

7d144fb6-2377-4a6a-bbljyo.jpeg

CAD:

bildschirmfoto2020-122aj1b.png

As this conversion should also fit the TA02, I made it a product on Shapeways. It also will then come with c-hubs that are a optimized (for DCJ) copy of the 53226 Aluminium Front Hub Carrier Hop-Up:

!!!Attention!!! I had to change the model because of Shapeways. Unfortunately now the 5x10x3mm bearings that come with the DCJs cannot be used and we need to use 5x10x3mm flanged bearings. Please keep that in mind ;)

New link: https://www.shapeways.com/product/V97FWL7MN/tamiya-ff-01-ta-02-dcj-conversion?optionId=193514084&li=shops

bildschirmfoto2020-12znjn8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Awesome Kevin!

Will order one for sure for my FF01 in the future! So the C-Hub is then already the design with the increased caster that Tamiya introduced with the Aluminum C-Hubs?

That would be great, have 2 originals on my 934 TA02 shortened to 230mm wheelbase, and it drives very nice...

Thanks for your investigation and findings,

Matthias