wtcc5

wtcc5's FF-01 addiction

21 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

Sometimes it is so hard find good pictures from these times... You are really dependent on people digitalizing  them and posting them. Interestingly I found some channels on Instagram that post daily pictures of these times.

How do you pull these cars out of the games?

Depends on the game, I'm mainly using ones with Touring Car mods, so RACE07 and GTR2, and you can use 3DSimEd for that.

I used to do Touring Car liverys for a game called Sports Car GT back in 2000/2001. For liveries I mainly use Super Touring register as they have alot of details about cars from around the world, but as your say, they mainly focus on the front and 3/4 views.

• Like 1

That sounds very cool @Chris_Ward! Not sure if the job was fun, but if I think back to the PS1 and PS2 times and the racing games, it was fun!

The body I posted in the FF-03 thread, will become a FF-01 body :rolleyes:

fca0afbc-8707-41e5-bqfjcv.jpeg

After thinking what to do and trying to remove the stickers unsuccessfully, I decided to make a silver PIAA Accord.
And right now this decision seems to be a good one. I had to work a lot on the body to correct the cut line of the previous owner, cleaning and adding the black color to the bumper and side skirts. I also colored the mirrors and wing.

After that was done it was sticker time. Tamiya suggests to cut large stickers with multiple sponsor logos for hood and doors. I prefer smaller ones (easier to work with and less risk to wrinkle) and to have less clear vinyl on the body. That took a little more time, but the result is nice. And the silver color really suits this livery. The paint errors made by the previous owner are a lot harder to spot now ^_^

What do you say? White or silver?

97e7ba16-5478-41c3-apyjkl.jpeg

5a7f243b-12ee-46b8-9d7klj.jpeg

04888026-d136-4ef2-aodksv.jpeg

6eedc577-249c-4496-82ok6r.jpeg

• Like 9

... and another body got some fanboy love: The Volvo.

676f5c51-a52d-43f2-8bnjjd.jpeg

The MCI sticker set arrived and I started the cosmetics in the afternoon.

First I cut out all damaged sticker sections. It was planned to replace all of them with the MCI stickers, but again the colors are so different from Tamiya, that I only used the outside headlight area and sponsor logos. All the blue area were masked and then painted. The scratched areas of the body were polished.

328b5d93-af91-4cd5-9kykhp.jpeg

f55604c1-20db-45f1-9vfks2.jpeg

84886f3b-9146-4b76-87gjme.jpeg

That worked pretty well. The PS-4 blue is darker than wanted, but still closer than the MCI stickers. Wing and mirrors got painted too. One mirror was badly scratched and needed sanding and polishing.

The result is nicer than expected. The Volvo is just a beautiful body :wub:

ed3d8d66-63be-4bb3-acmkyj.jpeg

b60f8345-a435-4e28-arwjst.jpeg

202f2763-f593-4315-b84jfd.jpeg

6f356eb1-7565-4dd6-9u0j87.jpeg

02060b8d-f690-4f6c-a04jpm.jpeg

• Like 7

That may be the only Volvo 850 Body I've ever LIKED!! 😂😜  In my circles, it's an "Old Fart's Car". This one is anything but!! 👍👍😎  And, I know several people complain about MCI Decals... Maybe they wouldn't win a Concours Competition - but they do look GOOD! 

I'll have to look into them, when I get my Mondeo Body. 😉 

BTW, I may have FOUND my first FF-01!!! For "security" reasons, I'm not saying where or when YET, but it's only $205 USD - complete!! 😁😊 

Now to hope my Inheritance gets here soon enough.

• Haha 1

I finally moved my lazy rear and finished the Toms Toyota Exiv (58167).

The masking was another horror story I don't want to repeat anytime soon. As I painted the the red areas instead of using stickers it was my own fault :rolleyes:

Marking the color areas:

2c4d4f67-0591-4878-ab8knb.jpeg

Masking horror (looks all simple now...):

e873f555-af49-40e1-9c9kkk.jpeg

6aadb0b7-65c0-4849-9k4jxj.jpeg

Finished the worst part:

8875dcf0-f6db-43d7-9ulkq0.jpeg

And with stickers:

2a822e69-20d4-4ba9-9pljvy.jpeg

77e2ce0e-7bb9-4eb4-acpjoc.jpeg

c1a2654e-e4a8-4eed-9txk0p.jpeg

2001a2ff-7fe8-4296-8g7j6z.jpeg

I found the body one of the most difficult and busy ones to make. It looks simple, but has some tough areas especially in the front. And then the 24 stickers on the wheels and tires...Wow...

• Like 7

The Shapeways parts for the Primera runner arrived. Shapeways took nearly two weeks...

That is the smooth plastic finish this time, which makes it quite expensive. The surface finish could be better still.

A little sanding will make it better...

76045827-948b-4586-8bbjmq.jpeg

e6562ddc-5d3c-4504-9eokw9.jpeg

The fitment is like the original ^_^

31b69e0f-009a-43ab-86mjai.jpeg

15d7ede0-94b8-4911-8s9k1i.jpeg

5509718f-b5d2-477f-8rjkfg.jpeg

8db94481-9248-49e6-bkajkz.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Can't speak....... DROOLING!!!! 😲😊 

Shapeways has at least gotten much better with Print Quality. But DANG they're EXPENSIVE!! 😠😖😞  But there are things that you just can't get anywhere else. 

Looks AWESOME!

• Like 1

Another gem :wub:

195a6c73-0ba6-479d-960kwy.jpeg

Another good R/C friend caught the FF-01 addiction. He got himself a full hop-upped shelfqueen. It came with box and undone bodyset and wheels. As he is not very fond of the Ford Mondeo, he let me have everything on the picture ^_^

• Like 2

😕Wish I had a friend like that! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, svenb said:

😕Wish I had a friend like that! 

He is a kind of „business angel“ and „early adopter“ for me in this hobby. When the Tamiya virus started and I developed and produced upgrade parts for the TT-02, he was the first one to show a real interest and buy the parts. And not only that, he even brought new guys to buy the conversion kits. Since then he is supporting me in everything I do in this hobby and also wants to see my conversions win by networking with some of the big names in R/C.

As we often share the same addiction (like FF-01), there are exchanges happening regarding buy offer infos and parts. The latter in a way that nobody wants to earn money off the other.

Having good friends like @Quincy or Michael is indeed very rare and I am happy that we found each other to share and increase the fun in this (and other) hobbies :)

• Like 2

@wtcc5 Do you know if anyone ever made a 6th gen Accord body? I always really liked the 99 btcc car

BTCC_1999_James_Thompson.jpg

HPI did something a bit like it but i think it's based on the north american accord which looked different. Any ideas? 

3 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@ThunderDragonCy:

I am not aware of a 6th gen Honda body... sorry.

The closest I know is @Quincy Honda built:

But that is maybe a fifth gen?

Yeah, looks like a bad 5th Gen. Oh well. 5th gen JACCS Accord from LandL when they come back into stock I reckon!

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yeah, looks like a bad 5th Gen. Oh well. 5th gen JACCS Accord from LandL when they come back into stock I reckon!

Landl only has fourth gen Accords as far as I know... which one did you find?

Well.... THAT'S the Mondeo Body I want for my FF-03. 😊  Maybe I'll get Lucky. 

Honestly, how is the L and L Models version??

@Carmine A: The L&L Mondeo clone is very good!

The body they sell keeps his form even after cutting the wheel arches (not like the Accord). It just looks like the Tamiya original.

The sticker set it comes with, is not convincing, as the number areas are not a good copy and details are missing (see my post when I build this body for my runner). You also need to paint the white areas.

Head- and taillights are good, grille is missing, radiator intake has the wrong form...

The best would be to order the MCI sticker set too. L&L also sells the fitting wheels (3d print).

• Thanks 1

@wtcc5 Thanks Mate! It could work.... If nothing else, it would make a decent Club and Postal Challenge Body.

At least nicer than a Jelly Blob!! (Though I may also get one for practice)

f3666685-22d5-4b27-bedkm9.jpeg

Another gem arrived. Michael (you remember the "business angel"/"early adopter" I mentioned here earlier?) sold this max tuned FF-01 chassis. This thing has no scratch and is perfectly build by him :wub:

Now I have the luxury problem to think which body and wheels go on it... Mondeo... Primera... Beetle :lol:

4195a26f-6971-45cd-bg6jc7.jpeg

3c9994da-c06f-4644-8e9kxg.jpeg

da98774f-d667-40d4-benjaj.jpeg

With it Michael sold me this full body set ^_^

d082454b-553e-450a-bbrjaq.jpeg

And then I found this in his box:

ace22ba6-e6a8-46eb-8krkpe.jpeg

This guy ... always so generous to me :)

If you read this: Thank you very much, Michael!!!

• Like 6

Well......... My Inheritance FINALLY came!! 🎉🎉💰💰💰💰  But anything resembling a BARGAIN has left. 😭😭😭 (at least in the U.S.) 

These are some of the few available now. (International COVID Shipping is RIDICULOUS lately, so any thoughts on buying abroad are on hold) 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

AND.............. spacer.png !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😲 

I just bought a Tamiya Grand Hauler Semi for $100.00 LESS than a Sand Scorcher!! And a Primera Nissan is going for $300.00 MORE than my first REAL Car. 😳  The Hobby World is BROKEN.

I really want to join in on the FF-01 Addiction!! 😭

• Like 2