wtcc5

wtcc5's FF-01 addiction

@Carmine A: Most Ebay prices are over the top. Of all shown, the Clio price looks pretty fair. It is one of the most wanted cars. Shipping across the pond is not so easy right now, but if you see a FF01 on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de that you like, then let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

@Carmine A: Most Ebay prices are over the top. Of all shown, the Clio price looks pretty fair. It is one of the most wanted cars. Shipping across the pond is not so easy right now, but if you see a FF01 on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de that you like, then let me know.

THANK YOU Kevin!! I'll take a look at that. Unfortunately my Wife has said that I've "Exceeded my allowance"!! 😲😖 

Probably after spending over $2000.00 on a Grand Hauler Semi and a BUTTLOAD of Hopups and Accessories!!! 

By next Month I'll be READY. She's just trying to make sure that this Money lasts the rest of our lives. Besides it, we're both fixed income pensioners.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 10:15 PM, Sweatpants said:

bummer the bumper doesn't really work with heat sink.  

Thanks for this impulse!

Could this be the reason why my other blue heat sink was hacked at the front side...?

I will check the fitment later, haven't thought of this until now...

3 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

Thanks for this impulse!

Could this be the reason why my other blue heat sink was hacked at the front side...?

I will check the fitment later, haven't thought of this until now...

I got all excited when i got my bumper about the same time as the blue heatsink i got.. bolted the posts on, zero clearance.

• Sad 1

9118018 J-Parts of 84431 - if you want to use the frp or cf chassis plates

9804959 steering post for frp chassis

9804967 3x25mm tapping screw

9805631 Rosette Washer

9805745 M3x25mm countersunk screw

50578 3x10mm tapping screw

50581 3x12mm tapping screw

51633 3x16mm tapping screw

Then choose between the frp plates (4025040 & 4025041), the carbon plates (53195) if you get them or just go for the Yeah Racing plates (YR-TA02-S01).

Thanks a ton for that list!!

Posts as epic as this one gets me too excited about driving them again. :D

• Like 1

A long time nothing happened here.

This may change in the coming weeks. The weather gets better every day and after @Quincy, @Sgt.Speirs and I had our fun with offroad, we are looking forward to onroad schoolyard racing... Well... we still need to ask Sgt. Speirs if he wants to join that too, after bringing his awesome buggies last time out ;)

The reason for this post is chassis number 23 in this collection. A nice used one, that is a typical german representative for an FF-01:

0177903b-c973-4d20-8eljv8.jpeg

f1d21f4b-b2e5-4fca-8whkq6.jpeg

b19c0e4d-62c6-4c19-9udju2.jpeg

The body had received a few hits, but is overall in a good looking condition. The purple metallic color suits the livery good as well. The painter was clumsy and the color thickness differs between "thin as it should be" and "painted with a bucket". So you can see the difference from the outside (spots of concentrated metallic flakes).  For this price (77€) I don't care much...

It even came with era matching electronics & transmitter and has this nice Graupner esc that is shaped like a servo to replace the throttle servo of a mechanical esc:

888c1806-e0b7-4ab9-8fmjhk.jpeg

My plan is to clean and check it and then refine the wiring job to let it stay an rtr-runner.

Funny story of this purchase: Quincy saw this car for sale on another site, but then was outbid by another interested customer after the deal was nearly done. It was then offered on Ebay and I put it on my watch-list (without knowing about this). Some days later, very late in the night I was automatically remembered and just thought: "Who is on Ebay at that time?" and nobody was, so nobody was bidding except for me :D And that is how this car found its way into Quincy and my FF-01 collection after a short detour.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

… and after @Quincy, @Sgt.Speirs and I had our fun with offroad, we are looking forward to onroad schoolyard racing... Well... we still need to ask Sgt. Speirs if he wants to join that too…

When I have no other dates at the same time and you let also drive a TA02SW (Porsche RSR 934) beside your FF-01…of course :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

When I have no other dates at the same time and you let also drive a TA02SW (Porsche RSR 934) beside your FF-01…of course :) 

Perfect!

If you also want an FF-01, let me know ;)

• Haha 1

Thanks, we will ^_^

The chassis of the Mondeo is already cleaned. The work on it was pleasant. The first owner really cared about this car and that makes me wonder how and why it was offered so inexpensive at first...

For example: The diff is like new. Balls and plates are fresh and not the ones that came with the kit. The outdrives are good as well. Also impressive is the condition of the dampers. Only one had air inside, the green seals look fresh, too. The gears are the first ones, but show hardly any wear and also became shiny and white again. The chassis has scratches underneath and on the sidewalls like it was driven on gravel once. Two rims look like new and two got some small hits. The tires were driven once and came with inserts. Some of the screws were mixed up and/or replaced, but except for one screw, always in favor to shorter screws (like 3x10mm tapping screws for the bumper instead of 3x15mm).

I guess this car was driven regularly for some time, got repaired/serviced with new parts by the owner and then driven once or twice. The only concerning discovery were the uneven running rear axles (both sides... already replaced :D). Fortunately there is no slop or other damages or wear in the rear unit. Overall a nice work time.

91caf5bb-6831-4339-951jx2.jpeg

Since I saw the esc, I am a huge fan of it. I had a deep wish to clean and restore it. So today I disassembled it and the love for it grew even more!

It was easy to remove the housing. Underneath I found electronic components of Sanyo and NEC. The underside of the housing says "Made in Japan" and instantly sent me daydreaming to the era where "Made in Japan" meant the best and highest technology available (for me all the portable music player, TVs, Camcorder, ... :wub: ).

The condition was dusty and ugly cables, but overall very good. In the process I also cleaned the receiver (the double sided tape became a thick gel) and the servo.

d3bae2d2-a425-4b77-9fbkv6.jpeg

I cleaned the housing, circuit board, heat sink and cables. I wanted to motor cable plugs to match the Tamiya motors and used spare cables with plugs, that I had removed from TBLE-02S (for brushed you need only the yellow and blue cables, so the red ones were removed). The old yellow Tamiya plug was replaced by a T-plug. Now it looks very good again. As I couldn't test it yet, I pray that it still works :rolleyes:

0c1c6874-fb22-4e7e-azfkjs.jpeg

42ef6002-572a-4da7-axxkv9.jpeg

In the next steps I will rebuild the dampers and replace a lot of the stained screws and sleeves. I also need to buy some batteries for the transmitter.

• Like 3

To be honest, I never made it to a super smooth diff when building it like the manual suggest; not with ceramic balls or this special hop-up pressure bearing.

Using ceramic balls made no difference in smoothness. Using AEs diff grease, I can leave the diff a little more open without it slipping. Also the pressure bearing is just a help building the diff.

Now with the Mondeo the previous owner very generously put a white grease on the (original) pressure bearing. This diff is a little better. My guess is, he used Cera-Grease and this makes a difference in smoothness.

• Like 1

Just now, wtcc5 said:

@ThunderDragonCy: What FF-01 are you building on?

My only one, but the diff has never been great. Works fine, but never that nice. I plan to race it at the club later this month so a few pounds on new diff balls and a rebuild is a good plan. I spotted the motor fan on your schoolyard racer too, so i will fit one as we finally have warm weather here. 

• Like 1

The fan makes a huge difference! ;) Good you saw it.

• Like 1

img_8227fnk0m.jpg

I finished my work on the Mondeo today. New screws and rebuild dampers were the last steps.

img_8231pck5n.jpg

Then it was showtime! I stole some batteries for the transmitter from all the remotes I found... I have to admit, I was afraid if the esc would function, so it was a great delight, when it did. And how it did! I would have never thought, that it could be that smooth.

So I was not bored, nor did I have good material, and still I made a little video of me using a stick radio and driving in circles in the living room xD It was probably just the happiness motivating me...

After finishing the video, I am pretty sure, that the esc is adjusted wrong, like driving forward the lamp for "back" lights up...

• Like 5

Really looking forward to run a FF-01 for the first time this year.

My runner has so many updates from the last time out:

- new C-hubs

- DCJ

- geardiff

- outdrives

- rear hex and axles

- tires

- motor

- bodyshell

726675fc-7364-4f1b-ao1k8m.jpeg

1fa4388e-b8ef-4542-99ijjw.jpeg

Lets start with the motor. Some weeks ago I found the Super Stock series very attractive. I bought the BZ for my Fire Dragon and also stumbled over the RZ with its "crazy" 27500rpm. I bought it mostly to have it near me, but it was teasing me to use it :D And so I put it in my runner. Now I can hardly spin the front axle. I am looking forward to its top speed.

bf5eb627-cb37-4947-8nek8m.jpeg

eadf2a0e-8dd4-474c-8u2k1d.jpeg

As @Quincy and I are the "Primera-Fanboys", the next Onroad run will feature my restored Castrol- and Quincys brandnew Calsonic-Primera. Our several Primera related deals over the winter season lead to me drawing and Shapeways printing the needed exterior parts. I for example needed one set for the restored body (and Quincy received one original set from my side as exchange for a brandnew body, you maybe remember). This printed set was already Shapeways smooth surface, but still needed a lot of sanding with fine grit paper (800-1200) to perfect it. Especially the rear wing needed the "steps" to be removed. Then with some layers of primer (and again sanding) and layers of Italian Red it became smooth (my favorite word :rolleyes:). Anyway, the outcome is good:

37518012-21d7-4897-bcek68.jpeg

e0a084de-fdf6-4948-8ukkh6.jpeg

Stickers for these parts is a little problem... I only have original ones left and couldn't convince myself to use them for that...(lets see if they survive first).

6f42168a-c0d3-495c-8a3knb.jpeg

The tires are Rides cheapest variant with inserts and a nearly era correct wheel design. Nothing beats low price tires after spending hundreds on the car :P

They perform and that is important.

afb28708-4e11-4b68-9djkhc.jpeg

Now only the weather has to meet Quincys rare playtime schedule.

• Like 5

@wtcc5 Great pics of the Ford Mondeo! You know, I'm wondering...someone should really market a 21st century esc specifically for vintage cars that have a throttle servo slot. I really like the way that worked out.

• Like 2

@RichieRich: That would be cool. But I don't think someone will. The target group looks to be very small. A Rere of some old systems/units/components would surely attract some vintage lovers/collectors like us.

As the weather is grey and rainy at the moment, I tinkered around with my FF-01 a little bit more.

I somehow found the state of my Audi A4 STW chassis too sad. It consists of the worst leftover parts that accumulated. It is full functional, has ball bearings, universals (black ones) and original vintage metal hexes. Both shocktowers are broken at the usual spots. I corrected that with my workarounds, but it is overall not nice to look at. Therefore my ugly PIAA Honda Accord body sits on a very good condition shiny chassis. Both bodies switched chassis, ball bearings and hexes changed chassis as well. I took the opportunity and replaced stained ballstuds and screws, too.

decd3bb3-c910-47a9-bosjwa.jpeg

Remembering the fun with the vintage electronics Mondeo, I picked out the old esc, rx and transmitter of the Dyna Blaster to complete the STW Audi to a full RTR. Like last time the the esc needed some cleaning and new cables/plugs.

03f5ceeb-1883-4e3e-a7hjc8.jpeg

3c0d8a5d-697e-4716-8amknc.jpeg

This esc has also a unique design. In comparison it has a lot of space between the cables. The housing was made to open it and so it was very easy to work with. Again the old double-sided adhesive tape was a nightmare to get off (I soaked it in brake cleaner).

The "operation" was a success. A cleaned (older) black sport tuned motor went into the chassis. Unfortunately I had no more Tamiya motor plugs (female) left, so I soldered it directly. Space-wise I could fit everything in the little compartment where the servo is:

7ed04d99-9353-4b91-8hrj3v.jpeg

10d7fcf4-7f34-428e-8s3ki2.jpeg

0f5f0852-83d2-430d-bxvksd.jpeg

2fa08345-1b31-471d-914jw7.jpeg

The function test was good. This esc lacks the super smooth acceleration the Grauper Speed-Profi has.

Now I have four RTR FF-01, three with (typical german) vintage electronics and my full option runner.

47e079dc-72ed-47fe-8yhk43.jpeg

cadf0efa-a7ac-4e42-bgfjxs.jpeg

• Like 5

That's so typical German indeed :D All of the secondhand cars I used to buy locally had the same kind of electronics too.

• Like 1

Absolute German, but ironically both companys don't exist anymore :D

I was more the GMracing or LRP guy. 

Really like your FF01 fleet. Sold my FF few years ago after my friends left the RC car scene (Still have my 2 AWD TC). Now I only do Offroad on my own. Sadly you guys life 2 hours away from me.

But there are some good offers in ebay Kleinanzeigen :D

• Like 2

@DarkSonic: This is a pity... Would be nice to have another enthusiast around. In which direction from us do you live? Maybe we can meet in the middle?

In todays news:
I found fun in new projects again. One of these will be a FF-01 project consisting of (mostly) era correct non-Tamiya-tuning-parts. 

cced53b6-cfcc-4217-8wvkk0.jpeg

More to come...

• Like 5

@wtcc5 I live in a small city between Karlsruhe and Stuttgart (nearly in the middle)

This would be nice. Maybe we can arrange something.

Very nice! In my opinion the best looking dampers! Cool new concept.