Jonnythefox87

Blitzer beetle/Stadium blitzer shock oil weight?

Fellow blitzer beetle, stadium blitzer or stadium thunder owners- what weight shock oil would you recommend for this chassis? During lock down I did some maintenance which included changing the shock oil, I only had 600 cst left but now it feels too soft. The front end actually seems to droop slightly when you put the car down on the ground. I'm just wondering how much firmer I need the shocks? 

I used 50 wt team associated oil when I was jumping a lot on hard services. Now I tend to favour 30 wt as I prefer the softness. 

I use preload collars on the front dampers, this stops it from bottoming out. 

Yes I think so, are you using many of the spacers? I have the thickest ones that came with the kit, x7 up front. 

NYZ6unR.jpg

Yes I added a spacer on each front shock that I had spare, they did make it much better. The spacers are not from the kit, it's second hand and I don't have the instructions so not entirely sure if they're the kit springs

I'm looking to use it for jumping, at the risk of asking a stupid question..... Is there a difference between adding spacers or having stiffer springs? The spacers obviously shorten the springs, stiffening them in the process

I think you may consider the load on your Blitzer chassis when jumping as well.  Sorting the springs rates is one thing, but I would add some reinforcement to the front of the chassis as well if you plan on jumping things and don't want to face possible damage at the weakest points.  

As for the springs, I added weight to the front of my Blitzer Beetle to balance out the weight distribution front-to-rear and found thicker oil (with aftermarket dampers) was best to absorb a landing.  From there I adjusted the spring pre-load (amount I of spacers or distance I threaded the collars on aftermarket dampers downward) so that the rebound was proper.

This is a post "borrowed" from Traxxas forums but worth a note:  The best way to stiffen the suspension is with new springs, but adding spacers does firm up the ride. It doesn't change the actual spring rate, but it does increase the stiffness - springs require more and more force to compress as they are compressed further.

• Like 1