RCRLMichael

Is Robinson Racing 19T 32p pinion equivalent to Tamiya 19T Mod 0.8 pinion (for use in DT-03)?

Hello all,

I recently took delivery of a Tamiya Racing Fighter (DT-03) kit.  Been waiting on this one for quite a while (I ordered back when this pandemic started and only arrive a few days ago).  I'm really looking forward to this build as this will be my first Tamiya buggy since the original Hornet release back in the mid-to-late 80s!  I'm pretty sure a lot has changed in that time.

During my wait for the kit to be delivered, I spent a fair bit of time reading the boards and watching YouTube videos and I've begun to amass various Hop-Up options several folks have suggested.  Some have arrived with several still on their way.  However the one that is proving to be difficult to find at any sort of reasonable price - either online or in stores - is the Tamiya Hop-Up Option #54629 steel 19T 0.8 Module pinion.  The lowest I've found is around $30 shipped, coming from overseas.  This is a part with a $5 retail price!

I happened to wander into a local hobby store earlier today looking to get some PS paint and asked if they had anything equivalent to the Tamiya Hop-Up Option part.  They handed me a hardened steel 19T 32pitch absolute pinion (part number 1719) from Robinson Racing.  The sales person said that the 32pitch is the same as 0.8 Module and that I shouldn't have any issues.  For the price ($5) I figured I had nothing to lose, but before I install it I wanted to ask if anyone here can verify that this Is indeed true?

Thanks very much in advance.  Cheers!

Michael

Just now, Seanster43 said:

Where you based mate? 

In the U.S., just outside of Detroit Michigan.

It’ll be fine you might find it a bit noisy, the dt-02 shares the same gearbox as well. A few folk have used the carson steel pinion part number is 13409. 

Just now, Seanster43 said:

It’ll be fine you might find it a bit noisy, the dt-02 shares the same gearbox as well. A few folk have used the carson steel pinion part number is 13409. 

I've read about the noise that some have experienced, but I've also read that some have had great results with the Robinson unit.  I wonder if the type / amount of grease used would make a difference or not.

Truth be told, unless the noise is truly obnoxious I'm not all that worried about it.  My bigger concern is the potential wear of the spur gear inside the transmission.

Cut from another RC forum:

As some of you probably know, the conversion to metric is 25.4/p. So, 32p converted to metric is 25.4/32 = 0.79375. Which is pretty much 0.8. Also, let's go the other way, to convert back into pitch it is 25.4/M. So, 25.4/0.8 = 31.75 which again is pretty close, actually only 1% difference.”

• Like 1

It will be slightly louder than the 0.8 metric, but it was common to use 32 diametric pitch steel pinions in place of 0.8 when the metrics weren't available. You will be fine.

It will work, however the Tamiya steel pinion is a one off purchase, as in, it won’t wear out. Neither will it wear the gear it’s running against. I guess you gotta figure it out value wise, for me if it’s double the money of the rrp, then it’s still worth it to have the right part. But if it’s 4 x the price the may as well try the rrp unit. 

Juls

4 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

It will work, however the Tamiya steel pinion is a one off purchase, as in, it won’t wear out. Neither will it wear the gear it’s running against. I guess you gotta figure it out value wise, for me if it’s double the money of the rrp, then it’s still worth it to have the right part. But if it’s 4 x the price the may as well try the rrp unit. 

Juls

And this is what has me concerned.

I think I'll keep looking for the correct Tamiya part.  I'm sure I can find it somewhere for a decent price and not have to pay ridiculous shipping charges.

Unfortunately in current times there is no cheap freight that doesn’t take a lifetime to arrive, with 80+% of the planes in the world grounded then there is no where to put cheap air freight items. So for the next few years sadly we just gotta suck it up and deal with the cost. My suggestion is find the item you want from a seller that has some other parts you want (but may not need) to spread out the freight cost a little.

if your like any of the rest of us here, it’s not unusual for a $5 part to turn into a $200+ order.... :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Juls1 said:

Unfortunately in current times there is no cheap freight that doesn’t take a lifetime to arrive, with 80+% of the planes in the world grounded then there is no where to put cheap air freight items. So for the next few years sadly we just gotta suck it up and deal with the cost. My suggestion is find the item you want from a seller that has some other parts you want (but may not need) to spread out the freight cost a little.

if your like any of the rest of us here, it’s not unusual for a $5 part to turn into a $200+ order.... :ph34r:

The last few months here in Americaland has definitely proven to be far more difficult to get these "little bits and pieces" to complete a build.  Sometimes you get lucky and find someone on eBay or Amazon selling items located here in the U.S., but most of the bit online retailers are sold out of a lot of items... even Tamiya USA is running low on a fair bit of stock.

And you're right - that $5 pinion has quickly spiraled into a $75 order in an effort to take advantage of the shipping costs.  Better than pouring it down my throat I suppose.

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

Cut from another RC forum:

As some of you probably know, the conversion to metric is 25.4/p. So, 32p converted to metric is 25.4/32 = 0.79375. Which is pretty much 0.8. Also, let's go the other way, to convert back into pitch it is 25.4/M. So, 25.4/0.8 = 31.75 which again is pretty close, actually only 1% difference.”

I’d eat my hat if manufacturers work to that kind of tolerance these days anyway. 
🍴 🎩 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gear pitch, Mod?

From Traxxas Forum
Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
Can someone chime in on this. What is the benefit of running 32 pitch gears instead of 48. Also what is Mod 1 or .8. What does all this mean. Does it add to strength, more options?
Not much, so long as you know how to set your gear mesh and are certain that it will remain as you set it.
Simplified, 48P, 32P, 0.8 mod, and 1.0 mod are measures of gear tooth size and are referenced to one inch or 25.4mm of pitch diameter. They express a ratio, with the P numbers being the numerator (top number) of the fraction and 25.4 being the denominator (bottom number) OR the mod values being the denominator and 25.4 being the numerator. So:
48P/25.4 = 0.5288m
32P/25.4 = 0.7938m
25.4/0.8m = 31.7653P
25.4/1.0m = 25.4P

I have listed them in order of ascending tooth size. Having larger teeth does lend more strength and a certain amount of mesh forgiveness, but it also reduces efficiency. On a severely overpowered Rustler or Bandit, switching to 32P/0.8 mod or even 1.0 mod may be necessary for spur gear longevity, but you'll likely have to upgrade all other driveline parts before you must make the change.
I KNOW others will disagree. (And that's O-KAY.)

From RC UNIVERSE;
Mod .8 or whatever is else is the metric way of measuring gears (mod is short for module). What that is measuring is the distance one tooth is from the other. For example, .8 mod would be 1 tooth for every .8cm (8 millimeters). Pitch on the other hand is the Imperial (US) way of measuring gears. I'm not exactly sure how the pitch is calculated, but it uses inches obviously. So, .8 mod and 32p are compatible in my experience, however I don't know if technically the numbers match up, but then again, don't get too caught up in the science of it. If it works, it works. Hopefully this helped.
and there is a few more that i came across during the Valkyrie Vette build, some say they'll prematurely  wear out, others disagree,
The MST CFX-W has  M06 gears, i have so many different gears now i'm going to open a watch & clock shop.
personally i'd want them the same, but not all had the tooth count so i just started buying what was available in the pitch that i needed which was several being different spurs and motor Turns/KV's

10 hours ago, ACCEL said:

Gear pitch, Mod?

From Traxxas Forum
Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
Can someone chime in on this. What is the benefit of running 32 pitch gears instead of 48. Also what is Mod 1 or .8. What does all this mean. Does it add to strength, more options?
Not much, so long as you know how to set your gear mesh and are certain that it will remain as you set it.
Simplified, 48P, 32P, 0.8 mod, and 1.0 mod are measures of gear tooth size and are referenced to one inch or 25.4mm of pitch diameter. They express a ratio, with the P numbers being the numerator (top number) of the fraction and 25.4 being the denominator (bottom number) OR the mod values being the denominator and 25.4 being the numerator. So:
48P/25.4 = 0.5288m
32P/25.4 = 0.7938m
25.4/0.8m = 31.7653P
25.4/1.0m = 25.4P

I have listed them in order of ascending tooth size. Having larger teeth does lend more strength and a certain amount of mesh forgiveness, but it also reduces efficiency. On a severely overpowered Rustler or Bandit, switching to 32P/0.8 mod or even 1.0 mod may be necessary for spur gear longevity, but you'll likely have to upgrade all other driveline parts before you must make the change.
I KNOW others will disagree. (And that's O-KAY.)

From RC UNIVERSE;
Mod .8 or whatever is else is the metric way of measuring gears (mod is short for module). What that is measuring is the distance one tooth is from the other. For example, .8 mod would be 1 tooth for every .8cm (8 millimeters). Pitch on the other hand is the Imperial (US) way of measuring gears. I'm not exactly sure how the pitch is calculated, but it uses inches obviously. So, .8 mod and 32p are compatible in my experience, however I don't know if technically the numbers match up, but then again, don't get too caught up in the science of it. If it works, it works. Hopefully this helped.
and there is a few more that i came across during the Valkyrie Vette build, some say they'll prematurely  wear out, others disagree,
The MST CFX-W has  M06 gears, i have so many different gears now i'm going to open a watch & clock shop.
personally i'd want them the same, but not all had the tooth count so i just started buying what was available in the pitch that i needed which was several being different spurs and motor Turns/KV's

I've seen the math re: this subject before.  And while I realize that a 32P gear is as near as makes no difference to a Module 0.8 gear, the fact that this is a hardened steel pinion gear meshing with a plastic spur gear means that at some point there may be a wear issue.  I'm also planning to run a 10.5T sensored brushless motor in this buggy, which I'm sure is not going to help the cause with the power and torque that will develop.

I think in the interest of longevity, I'm going to keep searching to find the geniune Tamiya 19T Mod 0.8 steel pinion.  I'm sure I'll find it somewhere, even if it means waiting a month for it to arrive.

Cheers to everyone for all the advice and responses though.  I really do appreciate it.  This forum is a fantastic resource for this sort of stuff!

• Like 1

I run hardened 32dp in all the cars that run 08mod, and had no issues, even after years of brushless use.

48dp will NOT work in 05mod, and with only 0.03 of a difference, a nightmare if you mix them up in your spares.......🙈😭

• Like 2

@RCRLMichael What is the size of the brushless motor shaft you will be using?  1/8" or 5mm?  Double check this.

Searching on eBay, there are 0.8mod pinions available from US sellers for both 1/8" and 5mm bores made by Arrma and Robinson Racing.

For example, Arrma AR310631 is a 19T 0.8mod pinion with 1/8" (3.2mm) bore per manufacturers' website.  They are weasely when it comes to describing what it is made out of, however, saying only "manufactured from hard-wearing super-tough material".  So it could be aluminum butter for all I know.

Robinson Racing RRP8719 is a 19T 0.8mod steel pinion with 5mm bore.

If you really want the Tamiya pinions with 1/8" bore, then your best bet is to order Tamiya 54629 from RCMart in Hong Kong.  They are a reliable and trustworthy seller.  A single pinion is $3.10 plus $5.12 shipping to my US address so probably the same for you.  In fact, I just ordered two of them plus two 54628 17T pinions as well since I didn't have any of either in my stock of parts.  Total for all 4 pinions was $20.58 which I think is a good price.

4 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I run hardened 32dp in all the cars that run 08mod, and had no issues, even after years of brushless use.

48dp will NOT work in 05mod, and with only 0.03 of a difference, a nightmare if you mix them up in your spares.......🙈😭

Truth be told, I won't be getting rid of the 32dp Robinson Racing gear I picked up yesterday.  For the $5 I paid for it, it's not worth the effort to haul it back to the hobby store.  I'll hold on to it for now; if I can find the genuine Tamiya 19T Mod 08 steel pinion before I begin the build then this gear will sit as a spare.  If not, then I'll use this Robinson unit until I can get the Tamiya one.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Champ85 said:

@RCRLMichael What is the size of the brushless motor shaft you will be using?  1/8" or 5mm?  Double check this.

Searching on eBay, there are 0.8mod pinions available from US sellers for both 1/8" and 5mm bores made by Arrma and Robinson Racing.

For example, Arrma AR310631 is a 19T 0.8mod pinion with 1/8" (3.2mm) bore per manufacturers' website.  They are weasely when it comes to describing what it is made out of, however, saying only "manufactured from hard-wearing super-tough material".  So it could be aluminum butter for all I know.

Robinson Racing RRP8719 is a 19T 0.8mod steel pinion with 5mm bore.

If you really want the Tamiya pinions with 1/8" bore, then your best bet is to order Tamiya 54629 from RCMart in Hong Kong.  They are a reliable and trustworthy seller.  A single pinion is $3.10 plus $5.12 shipping to my US address so probably the same for you.  In fact, I just ordered two of them plus two 54628 17T pinions as well since I didn't have any of either in my stock of parts.  Total for all 4 pinions was $20.58 which I think is a good price.

My plan right now is to run a Tamiya 10.5T TBLM-02S sensored brushless motor.  I'm not certain what size the output shaft of the motor is, but I'm going to assume it's the same as a standard-issue Mabuchi 540.  The Robinson Racing gear I have is #RRP1719.  Doing a quick Google search reveals it's a 1/8" bore, and comes with a 5-40 set screw.  Will that fit the TBLM-02S output shaft?

It's funny you mentioned RC Mart because I've actually just hit the check out button at RCMart.com for the Tamiya 19T pinion, along with a few additional hop-up items for this buggy.  I'm sure RCMart is a reputable seller; I've never purchased anything from them but I know they've been around a long time.  My bigger concern at this point is the ridiculously long shipping times from HK to the US these days.  My Racing Fighter itself came from HK and it took well over a month to get here.  I get we're in a pandemic and these are unprecedented times, but that transit time is just WAY too long, especially for what people are paying in postage.

But these are first world problems I suppose.

3 hours ago, RCRLMichael said:

My plan right now is to run a Tamiya 10.5T TBLM-02S sensored brushless motor.

According to RCMart, the TBLM-02S has a 1/8" shaft, so it's the same as a brushed 540.  TamiyaUSA's website doesn't even list the basic motor specs.  Really guys?  Anyway, you're good.

3 hours ago, RCRLMichael said:

My bigger concern at this point is the ridiculously long shipping times from HK to the US these days. 

Yep. I hear you.

7 hours ago, RCRLMichael said:

It's funny you mentioned RC Mart because I've actually just hit the check out button at RCMart.com for the Tamiya 19T pinion, along with a few additional hop-up items for this buggy.  I'm sure RCMart is a reputable seller; I've never purchased anything from them but I know they've been around a long time.  My bigger concern at this point is the ridiculously long shipping times from HK to the US these days.  My Racing Fighter itself came from HK and it took well over a month to get here.  I get we're in a pandemic and these are unprecedented times, but that transit time is just WAY too long, especially for what people are paying in postage.

I got my last order from RCMart  last week,

Came by Fedex, 4 days from HK to me in Australia. 

Our internal freight system in Australia is relatively uneffected for express parcels, I don't know what your internal freight systems are like in the US as they might rely more heavily on local flights.

I generally do a order a month from rcmart (and have done last 5+ years), they've never failed me yet. 

The thing I like most about rcmart is the order is normally dispatched in 2-3 days, alot of the other HK sellers can take up to 10 days to dispatch.

Juls

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juls1 said:

I got my last order from RCMart  last week,

Came by Fedex, 4 days from HK to me in Australia. 

Our internal freight system in Australia is relatively uneffected for express parcels, I don't know what your internal freight systems are like in the US as they might rely more heavily on local flights.

I generally do a order a month from rcmart (and have done last 5+ years), they've never failed me yet. 

The thing I like most about rcmart is the order is normally dispatched in 2-3 days, alot of the other HK sellers can take up to 10 days to dispatch.

Juls

I could only wish to see anything coming from overseas in even double that amount of time... heck triple would still be fine.  The last eParcel item I ordered anything from Hong Kong was the Racing Fighter kit itself, and it went from Distribution Center to Distribution Center all over the United States, spending typically a week at each one... sometimes more.  I think it visited 3 or 4 different DCs here in the US and that didn't include the transit time just to get to the U.S.

I don't doubt my RC Mart order will get to me.  I'm just not holding my breath that it'll be in less than 4 weeks.

I think the easiest answer after a lot of these pinion topics would be NO!

0.8 is 0.8, 32P could be used but I would never!

same for 48P and 0.6 and 64P and 0.4.

UPDATE:

Been a while since posting here, but I thought I'd give a quick update for those following along.

So I took the advice of some of the contributors here and ordered a genuine Tamiya 19T mod 0.8 pinion from RCMart.com for my upcoming DT-03 Racing Fighter build (along with a bunch of other bits... because, why wouldn't you?).  There was some discussion as to the length of time those parts would arrive from Hong Kong (where RCMart is located) to me here in The Motor City, USA.

Parts were ordered on July 19th, and shipped out on July 21st, 2020.  The package was received on August 9th, 2020.  So about two and a half weeks of transit time using RCMart's offered SF-Express Delivery service.

Given that the world has basically gone to pot (with America being the epicenter of it all) that's not too bad a delivery duration.

This is actually my first time ordering from RCMart, and I'd imagine once everything does eventually one day hopefully get back to something we'd all like to consider normal again, the delivery times will get even better.

Now to get on with the build.

• Like 1