RCRLMichael

Is Robinson Racing 19T 32p pinion equivalent to Tamiya 19T Mod 0.8 pinion (for use in DT-03)?

Here's a question:

What would be worse - an aluminum .8mod pinion gear in a car made for .8mod, or a 32 pitch steel gear?

4 hours ago, Mrowka said:

Here's a question:

What would be worse - an aluminum .8mod pinion gear in a car made for .8mod, or a 32 pitch steel gear?

I would say the aluminium one would be worse personally.

The difference between 32DP and 0.8 mod is less than the tolerances for backlash etc within each seperate spec ie: You might get a 32DP and 0.8 that are closer together than two different brands of 32 or 0.8

Mind you, I've never had much trouble with alloy pinions when used with some decent grease except for stuff like the G6-01 and GF-01 where the pinion is diving two separate counter gears simultaneously, that seems to wear them out a bit faster but even then I'm still talking a good year of heavy use before they look questionable. 

9 hours ago, Mrowka said:

Here's a question:

Ha ha.  Nice dilemma you set up here.  Go for the true 0.8mod, but made out of butter, or the slightly-off 32p made out of steel.  Like @nowinaminute I'd probably go for the 32p for the long term if I only had those two choices.  The 0.8mod butter pinion will ultimately wear out and as it does, the teeth change shape over time which could wear the spur teeth in odd ways, especially near the end of the pinion's life where the teeth are worn into sharp knife-like edges.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Champ85 said:

The 0.8mod butter pinion will ultimately wear out and as it does, the teeth change shape over time which could wear the spur teeth in odd ways, especially near the end of the pinion's life where the teeth are worn into sharp knife-like edges.

That is exactly what happened to my re re hotshot. My first car getting back into the hobby 8 odd years ago. Installed and ran the kit standard tamiya pinion (.8 mod) from the get-go. After around 6 months I got horrid noises coming from gearbox and, on opening it up noticed the pinion had really sharp edges and the spur teeth were also deformed.

Installed new spur and 32dp steel pinion and 7+ years later still have that same pinion and gear set. No clicking, grinding or other extraneous noises. As others have said, the difference in profile is so small between .8 mod and 32dp that once any backlash is accounted for it makes no practical difference (IMHO).

Of course, these are the only pinions I would use interchangeably. I also have 48dp and .6 mod gears/pinions. Never the twain shall meet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1