Tony Sutton

Dampers Upgrade for Mad Bull

Is there a suitable dampers upgrade for Mad Bull? Oil filled would be nice.

Would DT-03 dampers kit be good enough?

The dt03 dampers bolt straight on and are a good option for mad bull without getting silly money wise. 

that being said any of the Tamiya buggy shock sets should work. 

Juls 

Indeed. The DT-03 shock set fits very well indeed. One might say that they fit the DT-01 Mad Bull even better than they do the DT-03, as the rears are a bit soft for a DT-03, but just right for a Mad Bull due to the extremely low angle at which they are mounted.

Might be better spending the money on better tyres first?. The standard tyres aren't brilliant on any surface.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:43 AM, wolfdogstinkus said:

Might be better spending the money on better tyres first?. The standard tyres aren't brilliant on any surface.

That's what makes Mad Bull fun. ;)

Out of interest, what would you upgrade them to?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 12:39 AM, Juls1 said:

The dt03 dampers bolt straight on and are a good option for mad bull without getting silly money wise. 

that being said any of the Tamiya buggy shock sets should work. 

Juls 

On 7/19/2020 at 10:37 AM, TurnipJF said:

Indeed. The DT-03 shock set fits very well indeed. One might say that they fit the DT-01 Mad Bull even better than they do the DT-03, as the rears are a bit soft for a DT-03, but just right for a Mad Bull due to the extremely low angle at which they are mounted.

Thanks both, will have a hunt around for this as soon as the Tamiya parts has arrived in the UK by end of July. Existing stock seems to have the prices skyrocketed!

On 7/19/2020 at 10:43 AM, wolfdogstinkus said:

Nah you're missing the point of a Mad Bull if you change the big tyres. If you fit buggy wheels and tyres you've basically got a Grasshopper 2. 

As above, cheapest option is a set of DT03 CVA dampers in terms of performance for money. Shame they can't be had in red like the Mad Bull friction shocks that give the whole buggy that 90s look! Maybe red springs will help with the visuals?

I was thinking more like 2.2inch wheels off the blitzer beetle and proline dirt hawgs. Or something for more grip. 

The kids have a brushless mad bull and I confess to still having the standard tyres.

I suspect that the lack of grip might be more to do with the Mad Bull's rudimentary suspension than the tyres themselves. I have a set fitted to my DT-03T and they grip far better on there than they did on my Mad Bull because the more advanced suspension does a better job of keeping them on the ground.

Been waiting for ages, prices are still high due to VERY low stock from Tamiya. :( 

Has anyone seen this (part no 54567) for less than £20 delivered?

I've got a set of Abisma alloy shocks on one of the MadBulls here and they work perfectly fine. Unless your dead set on a set of Tamiya CVAs there are plenty of other options out there.

Just out of interest the Rising Fighter instruction manual suggests 50519 mini shock & 50520 short shock, is the 54567 basically these two items in one packet?

On 8/3/2020 at 12:11 AM, Manix92 said:

Just out of interest the Rising Fighter instruction manual suggests 50519 mini shock & 50520 short shock, is the 54567 basically these two items in one packet?

Seems so... from Wheelspinmodels website - "Handy set includes two each of oil dampers from CVA Short Shock Unit Set II and CVA Mini Shock Unit Set II."

You still after shocks? I have the DT02 set (which I'm sure are the same as DT03?)

The set is used, a little scuffed, nothing to worry about though, can let you have a full bottle of soft (300) oil, £15 posted, as long as you're UK mainland based.