426Purplefish

Cat XLS list of special tools?

Just pulled the trigger on a Cat XLS.  1 part excited for the challenge, 2 parts apprehensive as I am not an advanced kit builder.

I understand it’s one of the more difficult builds and would like to know what special tools besides drill and circlip pliers are required...or ones that you have found helpful.  

Any tips or guidance are much appreciated.

I am aware that I may be over thinking it😬

I hear the dimples for the underbody don't line up correctly, so make sure you align it against the chassis holes and not just predrill the dimples.  

Screws are philips but are pozidrive so make sure you have the right driver.  Pozidrive can be tough to find in the US.

3 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

I hear the dimples for the underbody don't line up correctly, so make sure you align it against the chassis holes and not just predrill the dimples.  

Screws are philips but are pozidrive so make sure you have the right driver.  Pozidrive can be tough to find in the US.

Thanks!  Exactly why I posted this-wasn’t tracking pozidrive screw drivers.  Ordered a set-hope that works.

49 minutes ago, kid168 said:

What are Pozidrives? Are they different from JIS?

They look like JIS...but they are not JIS. 

There's a great wikipedia page on all the difference types of screw heads. Check it out. 

For the OP's original question I believe you need a soldering iron to solder the heads on to the anti-roll bars. 

Sort of thing that any seasoned Tamiya builder will have a proper LOL at. 

Also a kettle and boiling water to warm up the bits of the blasted plastic UJs.

1 hour ago, Howards said:

For the OP's original question I believe you need a soldering iron to solder the heads on to the anti-roll bars. 

Sort of thing that any seasoned Tamiya builder will have a proper LOL at. 

Also a kettle and boiling water to warm up the bits of the blasted plastic UJs.

Huh?  Hopefully this will make sense with the instructions.  I know there are a few build videos YouTube-I plan on watching  those when I start.

Assembling the plastic universal joint drivehafts is evidently quite the chore. Heating them up in water makes the plastic a bit more pliable so they assemble easier. 

11 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Assembling the plastic universal joint drivehafts is evidently quite the chore. Heating them up in water makes the plastic a bit more pliable so they assemble easier. 

Got it-thanks

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Yep your not wrong I cracked 2 of them and a trip to A&E because of stitches in my hand when the screwdriver when through it and that was after the soak in hot water also the e-clips on the base of the shocks absorbers are an absolute pain but that could be because buy the time you get to the shocks your patience has all but disappeared and make sure you have grown an extra pair of hands which you will need when you have to bolt everything together at the front! And I see no rhyme or reason why you need to put the under tray on at the very start of the build it just gets in the way? But it's a brilliant buggy when it's done!

20190105_135330.jpg

• Like 4

Ugh!!! I keep going to buy a modern buggy and then you all pull me back in!!! Off To see if Tower has this!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GTodd said:

Ugh!!! I keep going to buy a modern buggy and then you all pull me back in!!! Off To see if Tower has this!!!

Unfortunately not.  I got mine through A-Main.  Discounts aren't as good but I have found their service to be excellent.

10 minutes ago, tamiya3speed said:

Unfortunately not.  I got mine through A-Main.  Discounts aren't as good but I have found their service to be excellent.

I got mine from there as well

1) Circlip tool - a mini one at that or buy the smallest one you can find & file the tip to fit

2) Heatgun - a few second on the plastic joint makes installation a breeze

3) As pointed out, the undertray holes do not line up. Mark to suit

4) Only the body has overspray protection film. Undertray and wing do not. Had to use copious amount of Tamiya body cleaner. Totally spoilt by Tamiya kits and made the assumption that this is standard practice.

Have one but not built it yet but from the videos i recall on youtube isnt it better to install the steering assembly at a much earlier stage than noted in the manual?

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Have one but not built it yet but from the videos i recall on youtube isnt it better to install the steering assembly at a much earlier stage than noted in the manual?

Yes, that is what I understand as well.  It will be a while before I even start this build.

I feel like your going to need a massive ring binder of all the past gained collective knowledge and blood sweat and tears before attempting to start building it. I feel nervous just looking at its deceptively small box amongst the unbuilt kit pile.