I am looking for a good quality spanner set, I have a couple old Britool ones but are missing a couple sizes.  Nice and small metric sizes.  Can I find anything out there?  No I cant.

Are you in the uk?

If you are then I dont think you can go too far wrong with anything in the Halfords Advanced range. Ive had the same lot of sockets and spanners and two torque wrenches for the last 20 years and they are all still going strong. Theyve seen me through numerous full builds and strips downs of mountain bikes and road bikes, servicing or trying to repair all the cars I have ever owned.

I believe they are made by Teng but cost a lot less (or used to be) but the quality and finish is very good.

• Like 1

I will take a look, thanks  Britool used do an ace range 5JM, there are a few loose ones on eBay but thats it

If you want to get something made in the UK and good quality there is only one option. King Dick which are at the level of Facom/Gedore etc.

Britool now days is just China type stuff and is under the wing of Facom and would be considered as their budget range.

King Dick miniature spanner set 4mm-9mm - Good for RC bits and bobs

https://www.kingdicktools.co.uk/tool-kits/product.asp?itemcode=tkcm-8m-tkcm8m-155-18

If you need bigger they have everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

I believe they are made by Teng but cost a lot less (or used to be) but the quality and finish is very good.

I don't think Teng make Halfords hand tools, I believe it is some USA group of companies and manufactured in Asia - possibly the group which includes gearwrench (is that APEX?). Even saying that I think then they also get other stuff direct from China or alike so it's a real mixed bag.

Of course many many moons ago Halfords spanners were made in the UK, think I have some hanging around. Can't remember off hand which UK company was making them for them at the time.

Bahco & Wera are my go to for for hand tools. I currently have socket sets from both and Bahco spanners.   RS pro range are also surprisingly nice.  I'm pretty sure all Halfords, even the Pro range are licenced and rebranded Draper but they come with a  life warranty so not too bad. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Manix92 said:

If you want to get something made in the UK and good quality there is only one option. King Dick which are at the level of Facom/Gedore etc.

Britool now days is just China type stuff and is under the wing of Facom and would be considered as their budget range.

King Dick miniature spanner set 4mm-9mm - Good for RC bits and bobs

https://www.kingdicktools.co.uk/tool-kits/product.asp?itemcode=tkcm-8m-tkcm8m-155-18

If you need bigger they have everything.

yep got those, they are too fat!  Can I say fat?? :-)  Yes I get what you are saying, I am going to buy a few used ones when they appear on eBay, tried Halfords and they dont go down that small.  What a mad world we live in

I found this one to add to the others I have on eBay.  I will check out RS tools.  Thanks for all your help

Mark

britool 5jm.JPG

Why would someone want a set of spanners for Tamiya RC cars? Is there something I'm missing?

50 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Why would someone want a set of spanners for Tamiya RC cars? Is there something I'm missing?

I think its some base instinct we have to own tools. Ive defintely found throughout my life that I come across far more screws and nuts that need tightening or untightening after I have bought the tools that fit them. Coicidence???.....i think not.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

personal preference i suppose. Useful on some the bigger kits, trucks, Clods etc from what i remember and a decent set of nut drivers is handy as well

Laser do some nice mini spanners, also available in halfords I believe. Cant remember where I got mine. 

Another vote for Wera too, the hollow shaft nut spinner set is good for the 5.5 and 7mm. Plus all the others can be used for the usual plumbing/house jobs so easily justified. Micro nut spinners also available for 3mm down.

Wera stuff also nicely designed to not roll around, ie off the back of your workbench and down behind the immovable tool store!!

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

I think its some base instinct we have to own tools. Ive defintely found throughout my life that I come across far more screws and nuts that need tightening or untightening after I have bought the tools that fit them. Coicidence???.....i think not.

49283579837_68818d1c67_k.jpg

I have this hung up in my hobby workshop 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mtbkym01 said:

49283579837_68818d1c67_k.jpg

I have this hung up in my hobby workshop 😂

I'm Amazed you get anything done ! , Or you don't read your own sign :P  . 

:lol: 

• Haha 2