Sign in to follow this  
Killajb

DF-02 Question regarding loose suspension arms

Greetings All,

I've got a question to the better minds out there for a solution to the DF-02's issue of excess play on suspension arms.  The standard "U-shaped shaft" on both the front and back ends is simple for toy-grade performance but y'know we want a bit more from our models, don't we?  Does anyone have a standard shaft w/e-clip part number that can be used as a direct replacement or perhaps an even better solution?

MA-19 U-Shaped Shaft.jpg

I shall be watching this with interest as my main daily is a df02 with the same issues 

It is done for strength, it's the same on the WT01 / WR01 / TL01B etc.

It distributes force more evenly, making it more likely you'll snap a suspension arm rather than the chassis tub. Mins isn't particularly loose-fitting, do you have any pictures of the problem you're experiencing?

Photos probably wouldn't capture my nitpicking.. but here's what I've got. I've chased all other areas of slack and reduced play down to the arms themselves.  I'm thinking some hinge pins and e-clips will do the trick and will probably just measure the length and diameter of the U-shaped shaft for reference.  

P_20180918_095046.jpg

I typically replace the screw pins with stainless steel shafts and e-clips. I leave the piece you are speaking of alone though. It adds a lot of strength the the front end. Unless you find/make an aluminum brace to bridge the front of the two pins as is standard in higher end vehicles. The main issue with the screw pins is that they fall out and/or rust. There is not a huge gain in reducing slop though.

Indeed. In off-road models, a degree of slop is beneficial. If they were set up with tolerances as tight as those typically found on on-road models, they would be prone to binding as soon as they pick up any significant amount of dirt. A little bit of slop allows them to pick up more debris before it interferes with operation.