Sign in to follow this  
Finnsllc

help needed with lost screw

Hey TC members, need some help as i have lost a screw, actually a mini bolt. This is off of the c hubs of my DB01 RRR. The part is from one of the attatched hop up bags from quite a while ago. Any help would be great. Also all measurements shown.

mnAShXU.jpg

lW9Y9Vs.jpg

vc0yZqq.jpg

eeB0sFB.jpg

The 2.76mm is the standard for M3 metric screws. Looks to be machine threads in the photo. The length is typical measured without the cap, so measure the length of the threads only.

In the US our fastest option is McMaster-Carr, you can search the website and they'll shop right away. The website is a little daunting at first, but worth the effort.

If your have an ACE hardware nearby they're good too for individual screws, plus you can hold the old one right up to compare.

• Thanks 1

Don't know how easy it is to get small metric fasteners in the states but that looks like a regular M3*8 hex head bolt. Although they're 5.5mm hex as standard, I don't know if that will still fit? Could almost certainly get a cap head in there.

Closest i've found easily is on McMaster-Carr part number: https://www.mcmaster.com/91280A104 but that's for a box of 100 

EDIT: great minds think alike @isomer1

Edited by Hobgoblin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This looks like it’s had the threads turned down but not sub root diameter, is this intentional? Is it used as a location dowel or has it had a really hard life and made of cheese? I agree with Hobgoblin, a cap head should fit, Unbreako should have both internal and external hex M3 x 8 fasteners. If you talk nicely to someone at Clarendon they might send you a ‘sample’ 

Pitch is 0.5mm just to check it’s a metric M3.

AE2F2262-49B8-4B64-A015-741141CA85E9.png

@Lee76 My guess as to why the threads look that way is because it goes through 2 threaded holes both tapped in alloy.

I’ve just gone through my spares box and closest I have is an M3 x 10 I could cut down.. but then noticed you’re on the other side of the pond! wasn’t a complete waste of time though, found an ESC I didn’t know I had.. having just ordered another one yesterday though...

Unfortunately, these screws didnt work. it seems the C hubs have a m3 tap but the knuckle is ever so slightly smaller. or threaded differently @Lee76 

Ahh, I apologize, I didn't look close enough on the phone screen to see the threads were only partial. @Lee76's diagram is the closest thing I see so far.

@Lee76 actually i think the threads are not partial but they are "squished" by the second threaded hole. the screw goes through the c hub then into the knuckle receiver which turns. its on the steering. note the black hex head top and bottom 

ISMojdz.jpg