Carmine A

One NUTZ, Piecemeal M-05 Street build, with Pro Level TIGHT Suspension - without the COST!

B)Β Hello and welcome to something that most People WOULDN'T or couldn't justify...

Yes, it's a M05 Build. How many thousands are out there? 😜 Mine's just a bit different. You see, whilst the SANE RC guys have simply bought Kits.... 

I'm in a different, dire and unbelievable (for many), situation. I'm a Retired, Disabled Veteran, like too many people are. I couldn't stop there! It was 1991, I was 27, let's go and have a big, horrible Car Accident. 😲😧 I actually Worked for almost another 20 years, but by 2011, the Doctors FORCED me into SSD Disability. Not the "free ride" that too many People assume it is! 

Because Disability was a result of injuries AFTER my Service.... After the fine print, I was NOT eligible for the nice, juicy Veteran's Benefits - OR PAY. I get a disgustingly small amount of money every month, and we're really scraping by. 😞

So WHY am I in an expensive Hobby like RC??? Because I've been in the Hobby since early 1984. I love all facets of it. In the 80's and 90's, I even Raced Semi-Pro, in 1/10th and 1/8th Scale Buggies, Electric and Nitro.

These days, it's REALLY the only thing keeping me SANE! I love building Kits! The past Decade saw me build several Axial RC Trucks... But my first love was always Tamiya, since I bought a "brand new" Frog, in 1984. ❀😁 

Lately, disposable cash has been nearly nonexistent. 😭 BUT I need this Hobby as much as I need my Wife!! I absolutely CAN'T afford to buy a new Kit. Even $100 to $150 is WAY more than I may ever have available....

So... Back to the second paragraph. I've wanted another front drive M Chassis so badly, since I was forced to sell my M03 Mini Cooper (although I got an INSANE amount of money for it 3 years ago!!) πŸ’”

So, I'm GOING to have one, somehow. That Somehow has been over the past year, buying a M05 Kit... one Parts Bag at a time, one Screw Bag at a time, with a couple of hopups along the way...

YES... I'm building the World's most expensive M05 - PIECEMEAL!!! πŸ˜§πŸ˜²πŸ˜– It's really my only option. At least I'm not buying anything I DON'T need, and a couple of improvements to boot.Β 

Even if someone were to hand me $150 tomorrow, I'm now WAY TOO deep into this one! πŸ˜–

Since I don't believe I've ever done a proper introduction... Here it is! πŸ˜‰ Since it ended up this way, I'll actually start the Build in the next Post! Here's the Body I'mΒ going with, a Honda CRX Body from Tamiya! I'm going to recreate the beater CRX that I had in College, MANY years ago! 😜

IMG_20200521_221700.jpg

IMG_20200521_222130.jpg

• Like 4

Here's what I've got so far....

Since this point, 2 Months ago, I've also been able to get Parts Trees D and F (to complete the Plastic Parts), a full Bearing Set (only $8.00 FREE Shipping!!)😁  I was also able to get the Diff Gear Set, and a pair of Dogbone Stub Axles to be put on the rear... since the proper rear Stub Axles are near impossible to get.

I really need the Inner Stub Axles (goes into the Diff, D-Style input ends to the Diff)..... AND the two 5mm Shafts that fix the two Transmission Gears in place! (5x21mm and 5x40mm)Β 

My Build CAN'T go any further until I can get those Shafts. 😭 I need a few other bits.... like Motor, ESC, Wheels and Tires, and some Rod Ends so I can make the Turnbuckles - I've got quite a bit of 3mm All-Thread.

Cheers 🍻 Boys and Girls!! 😁

Β 

IMG_20200523_155336.jpg

• Like 3

....... Building as much as I can, here's what I've got. πŸ˜‰

IMG_20200721_220158.jpg

IMG_20200721_220136.jpg

IMG_20200721_220114.jpg

• Like 4

Continued....

IMG_20200721_220054.jpg

I absolutely NEED those Shafts!! 5x21mm and 5x40mm. I can't believe they're so hard to find, unless I buy a $20+ Parts Bag A.

IMG_20200721_220037.jpg

IMG_20200721_220016.jpg

One thing I'm really lucky about, I've SAVED Screw Pins over the years!!

• Like 3

More.... That brings me to the Dead End. 😞  Stalled by such tiny bits!

IMG_20200721_215959.jpg

IMG_20200721_215941.jpg

Even with the upgraded Kingpin Screws, the C-Hub STILL has a bit of Slop... Tamiya QUIRKS!! 😜  Maybe at some point, I can get Aluminium C-Hubs... I do not want to go all Aluminium. That doesn't leave any cheap "Weak Links", in the Chassis that if they should fail, would be cheap and readily available!

IMG_20200721_215921.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to continue sooner than later... Cheers!

• Like 5

HOPEFULLY, when this really gets going, maybe we can have some interaction....

Of COURSE not required, but it would be nice. πŸ˜‰

Just a thought......Β 

We should all be thankful for Lipo Batries!!πŸ”‹

Sure there's still controversy around them, but it boils down to just COMMON SENSE and safe, responsible handling.

The reason why I'm even thinking about it, is because I'm planning on which Motor I'm using.....

Back to the Day, when we were stuck with NiMH - or WORSE earlier, NiCd - going with even a 25T Torque Tuned or 23T Sport Tuned Motor meant that you were limited to 4 minute Runtimes or less.

If you got something more nutty, say 17 or 19T, or the Double and Triple Racing Motors, down to 8T....

And Runtimes would be abysmal!!! πŸ˜– Not Any MORE!! 😁😎 

In my RC Crawlers, even my 12lb Wraith, with Lipo Batries, my Runtimes are now measured in HOURS!! Since I've been buried in the Crawler World for the past 3 years, I haven't had any experience with On-Road Cars and Lipos.

THEN I tried a 4000MAh 3S Batry in the only non Truck that I've got running, my Holiday Buggy 2010. First of all, Fast. VERY FAST!!! And that's with a Silver Can Motor! 😲 Even more significant....

I got 40 MINUTES on a Charge!! πŸ’―πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š I thought it was a fluke, so I tried 2 more times. 37 and 41 Minutes, consecutively.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??Β 

Well, I'm no longer limited by poor Battery performance. So now I'm considering a 17 or 19 Turn Motor, instead of my usual more conservative thinking. In my other M Chassis Cars that I used to have, they were all 25 or 27T. At best I would get 10-12 Minutes out of a 3000MAh NiMH.

So I can now have all the POWER I want - without MINISCULE Runtimes!! 😁😊 It's a great time to be into RC! 

So..... Who of you remember the early 80's, where a 1500MAh NiCd Battery was considered an UPGRADE?Β 

• Like 3

I love your story, i know many Vets from different branches of the Service, in-law's, outlaws and even my brother, the stories i can get from them (and sometimes it's hard) but they know me and i get info some never even tell their own children, very seldom they'll say no and if you have a clue you never ever ask again on certain topics.

That said PM me and you'll receive anythingΒ RcΒ related if i have it or can forward to you, not out of charity but if i'm right there's no medication. no drug or alcohol that can be more therapeutic than at least for me building and assembling my hobbies and thus if i can contribute something you dig as much as i 'd gladly would like to see ya smile.

I'm real and a real nut, i've been blessed and thankful even when it gets its hardest.

and here as i get older i look back and you know it really was not that hard at all.

it's not the destination it's the Journey.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Post up your wishlist Carmine A. Β I have a great deal ofΒ reverence for our veterans. Β Unlike most modern Americans, I appreciate where my liberty comes from.Β Β I’d like to to help you get it on the road. Β 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2020 at 6:26 PM, SupraChrgd82 said:

Post up your wishlist Carmine A. Β I have a great deal ofΒ reverence for our veterans. Β Unlike most modern Americans, I appreciate where my liberty comes from.Β Β I’d like to to help you get it on the road. Β 

THANK YOU!! I'm glad to know that Patriotism isn't a curse word for everyone these days...

I actually feel much worse for the Vietnam Vets. When WE came home from Desert Storm, we got Parades, Parties and other accolades....

When THEY came home, they got JACK!!! 😠😞 An ungrateful Country (much like today), disrespect, disdain, and ANGER, from Students who have been Teaching OUR Kids since the late 90's.

I've got a little help already... not 100% how much just yet, but I have Faith in good People!Β 

Of my more immediate needs:Β 

I need M Chassis Car Wheels and Tires

I'll still need:Β 

BA16 and BA17 Transmission Pins

3x12mm all thread Screws (BA12)

3x32mmΒ Screw Pins (BA15)

9mm Diff Washers (BA21)

5mm Brass Balls (BA23)

3x14mm Step Screws (BA10)

5mm Rod Ends (BA28)Β 

It's probably cheaper to get the whole PartsΒ Bag A. I saw ONE Guy on Evilbay selling the bag for just under $15.00.

I got that list from this page out of the Manual. I hate being in this position!! It's been going on for 11 years. Hopefully we'll finally get a break by next year.

IMG_20200723_090436.jpg.9b236abacd7f1ed9f5316916b5cc654b.jpg

You good on wheels? I have a spare set of 11-spoke wheels from a M08 kit I can toss in the box.

PM me your addy sometime next week and I'll get a box packed when everything arrives on my porch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

You good on wheels? I have a spare set of 11-spoke wheels from a M08 kit I can toss in the box.

I might be.... Not sure yet. Are they White, or plated/colored?? I'd love some Gold or Bronze Wheels - but I'm adhering to one of the oldest adages...

Beggars can't be Choosers!! πŸ˜πŸ˜‰

37 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Dark grey/silverish

Sounds GOOD! 😁

PROGRESS!!! Well, very little but it's something. πŸ˜‰ I had realized that I could still build the Rear Suspension, while trying to get the Hardware and last crucial bits...Β 

I guess we can take the long Screw Pins off of the list! I had them!!

Thank you to @TurnipJF for advising me that the original front outer Dogbone Stub Axles would work in the Rear. He said I might want to trim off the inside Cup portion, but it doesn't stick out. I'm fine with it!! 😊

IMG_20200724_204745.jpg

IMG_20200724_204720.jpg

• Like 2

ok it's like this i do not want to spill the beans,Β thus i can only sayΒ i have some of the STUFF here (i dig stuff:D)

but he'll needΒ the rest .

one set of (4) tires, foams, wheels,Β hexes,Β pins and wheel nuts.

gears are always spinningΒ  in my head so i collect those through my ears (Pinions )

ESC and motor. grease & fluids of sorts are already to go, as soon as he PM's me his address.

he'll need the rest which (iΒ have several shocks somewhere but need to hunt them down) what's the size in mm? for an "M"chassis?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Thanks 1

Sending PM now...

I'm using 60mm Shocks, because I'm building a Rally. πŸ˜‰

• Like 1

OK.... @ACCEL has hooked me up withΒ one setΒ of tires, wheels, foams,Β  hexes,Β pins and wheelΒ  nuts.

Thank you so much and Bless you!!Β 

I still badly need all the Gearbox Hardware I mentioned above (or just a Parts Bag A for M05 - which is CHEAPER than the Hardware separately), which would get me a Roller.Β 

I also still need a 21 or 23 Turn Motor, and ESC (prefer Hobbywing 1060, and it's cheaper than any Tamiya).Β 

And of the last nitpicky stuff - front Foam Bumper, adhesive Foam for the Battery Tray, aluminum Chubs and front and rear adjustable Upper Arms.Β 

I'm already humbled by the generosity - especially because I didn't ASK for it, it was offered, and that means more than I can say! Thank you!! πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ‘

I expect to get some scraps in the mail to you this coming weekend. Β PM your addy, Carmine A....

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

I expect to get some scraps in the mail to you this coming weekend. Β PM your addy, Carmine A....

PM sent! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜

7 hours ago, Carmine A said:

OK.... @ACCEL has hooked me up withΒ one setΒ of tires, wheels, foams,Β  hexes,Β pins and wheelΒ  nuts.

Thank you so much and Bless you!!Β 

I still badly need all the Gearbox Hardware I mentioned above (or just a Parts Bag A for M05 - which is CHEAPER than the Hardware separately), which would get me a Roller.Β 

I also still need a 21 or 23 Turn Motor, and ESC (prefer Hobbywing 1060, and it's cheaper than any Tamiya).Β 

And of the last nitpicky stuff - front Foam Bumper, adhesive Foam for the Battery Tray, aluminum Chubs and front and rear adjustable Upper Arms.Β 

I'm already humbled by the generosity - especially because I didn't ASK for it, it was offered, and that means more than I can say! Thank you!! πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ‘

hey there's 2 motors in that pkg. 25T Torgue Tuned and 19T Radon

ps i forgot to put the fluids in the box.....................................................OPPS!πŸ‘¨

Did Supra charge email ya yet?

i think we want you surprised, i forget you're still a kidπŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ACCEL said:

hey there's 2 motors in that pkg. 25T Torgue Tuned and 19T Radon

ps i forgot to put the fluids in the box.....................................................OPPS!πŸ‘¨

Did Supra charge email ya yet?

i think we want you surprised, i forget you're still a kidπŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈ

Well.... Motor problem SOLVED!! 😁

Yes, @SupraChrgd82Β messaged me. πŸ˜‰Β  And I'm already surprised... 😁

AND.... That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all month!!! I'm a 56 year old Kid!! 😜😲

• Haha 1

SOME PROGRESS!! Maybe...

Did I do something wrong?? The Body stated that it was 225mm, I set the Chassis to 225mm....

And the Chassis looks a little long!! πŸ˜–πŸ˜­

Any suggestions???

I now know it's going to NEED a front Foam Bumper!! 😲

IMG_20200729_111114.jpg

IMG_20200729_110930.jpg

I have a Lexan Light Bucket Set, with various sizes.... Basically just use the closest! I'm only lighting the running Lights, no turn signals, brake, ECT...

The First Colour should always be the darkest, so of course, starting with Black! Only used half a roll of Masking Tape, to cover everything but the Bumpers, Lower Rocker Panels, and the bit between the front and rear Windows...

I also decided that I'd go just a little "Ricer", and Black out the centre of the Hood(Bonnet). Mainly to disguise the Body Pins and Clips!!! πŸ˜–πŸ˜² Still have no idea what I'm going to do about the rear holes - IN THE MIDDLE OF THE REAR WINDOW!!! 😠😠😠

Being in the RC Scale Truck scene for the past 4 years, I've figured out several ways to mount a Body, without holes in it...

I'm actually thinking of cutting the Rear Window OUT, and gluing a Lexan Sheet to the inside. I've done it before, and it actually gives a more realistic looking recessed look to it - done RIGHT.Β 

Then I could deal with the Front Clips (because everything will be black), and find some clever spot to mount Rare Earth Magnets!! I've used them in 8+lb Trucks, is should work in a 2lb Car, right?

IMG_20200729_112330.jpg

IMG_20200729_123132.jpg

• Like 2