Carmine A

One NUTZ, Piecemeal M-05 Street build, with Pro Level TIGHT Suspension - without the COST!

39 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

If you can’t manage video, a photo of the car in the open air will suffice! Let’s see it it sunlight!!!

Glad you have got it running, so much fun after all the work that has gone into it.

This is going to sound like a real LINE.... 

But here goes! I had it out yesterday evening. My father in law, a Cop, came over to hit the Car with his Radar Gun.... IMG_20200830_055847.thumb.jpg.717d08b7c4b589837e5c98886d99dae9.jpg

My Daughter was in the back seat to take the picture. THIS is what she got - right before one Tire fell off the front Wheel, because I didn't glue them!! 😖😡😞

More unbelievably, I can't afford a lousy $7.00 for some Tire CA Cement!! 

MORE unbelievable, except for the one Wheel, the CAR is fine! 😳  My OCD, solid Front Suspension and Steering, brought it to a safe stop with THREE Tires, and the other Front Tire off the bead.  I PROMISE I couldn't make this up if I tried!! 

But, NOBODY got picture or Video of the Car Running. 😞  I'll try again after I can get Glue.

• Haha 2

OK.... Got SOME Video footage, FPV style! No Body, because my old Camera is TOO big! 😞  But you all deserve SOMETHING!

I think I'm finally getting some Tire CA Cement!! 😊  This was about 3/4 Throttle. This Sucker is FAST!

• Like 7

Thanks! I'm really glad you appreciated it. I'll have Glue and a new set of Gears soon, so I can run her without that infernal RACKET!! 😳

I had to turn the recording volume down to SIX out of 100, because the noise was deafening.....

• Like 1

I look at your body shell and all I can think is that I should of gone red! 

Now you will spend a bit of time setting it up too fine tune it. I know that a few people I know like to stuff a bit of weight in the front bumper to get a bit more traction into the front end for cornering ( me too ) but for get to put a little in the back. I have a bit just under the servo and a little in the chassis right at the back. This is one thing I love about the m05, the possibility are endless.

All in all, it looks great and goes like a rocket. Well done and happy tinkering.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DayRider said:

I look at your body shell and all I can think is that I should of gone red! 

Now you will spend a bit of time setting it up too fine tune it. I know that a few people I know like to stuff a bit of weight in the front bumper to get a bit more traction into the front end for cornering ( me too ) but for get to put a little in the back. I have a bit just under the servo and a little in the chassis right at the back. This is one thing I love about the m05, the possibility are endless.

All in all, it looks great and goes like a rocket. Well done and happy tinkering.

I came SO close to going Silver.... Glad I didn't!! 

I've been heavily into Tuning, the past Week. First Goal reached - NO SLOP in the Steering!!  I need some 3mm Shims, to reduce play in the Control Arms... 

I'll play with the weight too. I added a good deal of weight to the front, when I buried the headlight Buckets in RTV Silicone, also adding some Front End strength! 😉  THANK YOU!!

I would like to say once again... THANK YOU!! Not just to those who helped me get to this point....

But those of you who have come on here to Comment, to talk to me!! I appreciate that more than you might think. I don't want this to sound pathetic, but sometimes it's a bit lonely out here in the Desert. There's NOBODY for over 200 miles into Tamiya, or even RC Ground in general. I've got nobody to "talk shop" with, so your Comments are most welcome indeed.

• Like 3

FINALLY.... It's time to get this DONE!! 😁 IMG_20200909_133835.thumb.jpg.6d13a8fe3005c934d462e2abd8291017.jpg

This was the original problem. The first Gear I got is on the right. I honestly think that it might have been previously SWITCHED then returned previously. The package said "48p Metric". It's a Robinson Racing Gear, and they are reputable.... IMG_20200909_133610.thumb.jpg.03036f4040ce80f76508c9e5d5e4a628.jpg

Already had a new set of Gears waiting....

What I've lubed them with is almost Mind Blowing! (NEXT Post) 

• Like 1

Recently made a revelation/epiphany.... IMG_20200909_103950.thumb.jpg.0757d86eb1f4e78eb12a7169a333be9e.jpg

TRUE!!! Same chemical composition, same superior adhesion to parts... Just a little thinner...

AND A WHOLE LOT CHEAPER!!! 😁😊👍👍 

As a former Auto Mechanic, I've used it for years.

• Like 4

Always good to find a more affordable alternative. Although if it is anywhere near as sticky as AW grease, aren't you concerned that it will slow the action of your gearbox in the same way as AW slows differential action?

But then I suppose on 3S a little extra drivetrain drag won't slow you down much! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TurnipJF said:

Always good to find a more affordable alternative. Although if it is anywhere near as sticky as AW grease, aren't you concerned that it will slow the action of your gearbox in the same way as AW allows differential action?

Valid point! Fortunately, I've got previous Video of it running, WITH a Radar reading... Same Motor, same Battery...

I see near Scientific PROOF of concept coming!! 😁 It's not quite the firm paste that AW Grease is. But if it does slow down or overheat the Motor, looks like I'll need to try it in the Diff next!!

That radar gun seems like a great way of testing the effect of setup changes on top speed.

Another aid that you might find useful is an app called Laptrax. It uses the camera on a smartphone to recognise when your car crosses in front of it, allowing you to measure lap times. Useful for testing the effects of setup changes on cornering performance. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

That radar gun seems like a great way of testing the effect of setup changes on top speed.

Another aid that you might find useful is an app called Laptrax. It uses the camera on a smartphone to recognise when your car crosses in front of it, allowing you to measure lap times. Useful for testing the effects of setup changes on cornering performance. 

Oooooh!! I'll have to set that up when I can map out a circuit. Can't afford a transponder setup... So that sounds like a great idea. Thanks! 

For the straight high speed run, I've got a Cop at my disposal. 😁

• Haha 1

Since I can't seem to be able to find or afford an Interior Plate for this.... IMG_20200909_133305.thumb.jpg.f2042cf7393661cb16a19b6fb3967b55.jpg

I decided that at least a View Block from all the internal guts was necessary. (Did I mention I am OCD!!!) 😜 IMG_20200909_133027.thumb.jpg.64cdb405d20d6b6e3ea044cdf6447a86.jpg

So this works for now. Very light and flexible... IMG_20200909_132743.thumb.jpg.80a5c37dd843bfea48011993306fcd4b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

A neat and effective solution!

THANKS! I really appreciate it. 😊

...... NOTE TO SELF.

Gluing the Tires was Successful, Test ran, nothing came loose - NOTHING!  HOWEVER, When I went to remove the Front Wheels to change the Toe... 

I apparently didn't give the very thin Glue long enough to fully set - and GLUED THE WHEELS TO THE HUBS!!!! 😡😖😳(insert many expletives here!!!)

• Sad 1

I'M AN IDIOT!!! 😖

During Speed testing this morning, I ran into my GoPro at nearly 40mph!!! 😲 IMG_20200911_180203.thumb.jpg.3085016db5f8aa3be0ef61a3452718cb.jpg

THIS is what I'm left with. No means of taking Video. I'm taking a HUGE risk here - but if ANY of you happen to have a used GoPro, no matter which model, that you're just not using anymore.... I wouldn't mind having it. ONLY if you can part with it of course.

Well.... The Body's ready anyway! 😉 IMG_20200911_220129.thumb.jpg.8ee73622c8d96e9ef2cb27b15ae02486.jpg

Polycarbonate Paint actually sticks pretty well to Duct Tape and RTV Silicone.

• Sad 1

You KNOW what?? I don't want to continue to be remiss, and forget the GREAT People on here who significantly Helped me lift this pipe dream from a dumb idea to REALITY!!! 😊👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 🍻🍻🍻🍻

@TurnipJF  @jonboy1  @ACCEL  @SupraChrgd82   @DeadMeat666  @Farmerbrown   @DayRider 

NOT just getting and shipping me parts...(which was VERY Generous and selfless of you to do!!), BUT to those of you who have given your TIME, to come here, not just to say "Hi" "Nice Build", and the sort (which I also GREATLY appreciate the interaction!) 😊

But also those of you who have steered me right, with your Experience and kind Advice. Absolutely Invaluable!!! 

And sadly.... I'm certain that I've left out one or two. 😞  Not intentionally, I'm just an Old, Disabled Fart - who occasionally has memory lapses!!!  I'll be sure to add as I remember!! 💯😉  THANK YOU my good Friends!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

No worries - thank you for taking the time and effort to document and share your build with us! :D

• Thanks 1

Mate I love talking R/C. It great getting a good chat with someone who is into it as well, I hope they will be more to come in the future. Always here for more.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DayRider said:

Mate I love talking R/C. It great getting a good chat with someone who is into it as well, I hope they will be more to come in the future. Always here for more.

I really appreciate that! 

As a matter of fact... I started a new project! Actually a rebuild/modification.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:46 PM, Carmine A said:

FINALLY.... It's time to get this DONE!! 😁 IMG_20200909_133835.thumb.jpg.6d13a8fe3005c934d462e2abd8291017.jpg

This was the original problem. The first Gear I got is on the right. I honestly think that it might have been previously SWITCHED then returned previously. The package said "48p Metric". It's a Robinson Racing Gear, and they are reputable.... 

If I'm not mistaken, the Robinson Racing gear you had was 18T, and the golden gear on the right clearly has 20T printed on the side. Are you sure this was it?