Carmine A

One NUTZ, Piecemeal M-05 Street build, with Pro Level TIGHT Suspension - without the COST!

Got those little CVAs DONE!!! 💯😁 

A small Mod to Reduce the Leaking of Tamiya Plastic CVAs... I fit the O-Rings like normal (WITH Associated Green Slime of COURSE!!) 

THEN before fitting the Cap on the Seal... I place a standard 3mm Washer over the O-Rings.  Tightening the Seal Cap, that Washer will crush, just a little, the O-Rings... This is just enough to expand the Seals, to provide better sealing!!! 😁

IMG_20200809_152010.jpg

IMG_20200809_152103.jpg

EDIT -  Just FYI,  the Kit 3mm Washers centre perfectly over the Hole for the O-Rings. Also, the Hole in the middle is approximately 3.3mm to 3.5mm, and I've never had one contact a Shaft. I'm sure that would be a concern. Just wanted to clear any doubt.

It really does squeeze the Rings against the Shafts JUST enough to prevent the usual amount of leaking!! 😜

IMG_20200809_152154.jpg

I really invite you to try this!! If you can find a Plastic spacer of similar dimensions, that might even work better. 😁

HALF of them installed!!! 👍👍  They have different weights of Oil, Front to Rear...  I painted a Silver stripe on top of the Front Shocks, to tell them apart. At least until some point where I get different colour Springs. 😉

SECOND Picture is an invaluable Chart, for converting Shock Oil weight in CST, to the dumbed down American system of simple Viscosity, same as Motor Oil... 😜  I'm sure that it could help People elsewhere, if they find a Shock Oil in say, 45wt.  They can then convert it to CST!! 😁

IMG_20200809_152240.jpg

IMG_20200809_152329.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Would it work to rotate the rear body posts 90 degrees and drill the body holes above the tail lights in the rear deck lid?

ABSOLUTELY!! If you really wanted Body Clips (MANY still do), you could easily do that. Before I cut them down, sideways they would have stuck out the Back at least 3 Clip holes. Mounted that way, The Body should actually be less prone to shift side to side.  I'd really like to see it if you do it! 😁

....... Was going with Silver as the Main Colour - because I had it on hand. THEN, some Tamiya Mica Red Spray Paint snuck into my life from a good Friend. I believe that will look MUCH better!! 👌💯

• Like 1

OK! There is Paint on the Body!!! The Mica Red is VERY Bright... I now wonder if I want to back it with Silver - or Black, which SHOULD richer up the tone some. 

Opinions??? 😉

IMG_20200811_213920.jpg

IMG_20200811_213716.jpg

Note... I still have the protective film on it.

IMG_20200811_214440.jpg

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Diggin' the red. That's a proper CRX color.

Ya know, you're right. I'm probably going to back it in Black, to richen the Red a bit. The Honda Red was darker... 

Thanks so much! Comments on my Thread seem a bit scarce. I know it's just another M05, I just like the interaction. 😊 Thanks so much also, for your very generous Help!!! 💯👍🍻🍻

Got the Front End DONE, minus Bumper. 😞 These CVAs might be considered a "lower spec" Shock... But with very little tweaking, they're quite fine! 👍👍

Then I started tidying up the Wiring Spaghetti.....

IMG_20200811_185208.jpg

IMG_20200811_185622.jpg

It's not like I'll ever need a Transponder - but it WAS helpful.

IMG_20200811_190303.jpg

• Like 3

That's tidy! Don't do what I did and leave the on/off cable trailing so it nearly burns through from contact with the tarmac...oops...

• Thanks 1

That actually turned out pretty well! Are you running M-grips front and back? What would be a good setup for the M05 as far as tires are concerned?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

That's tidy! Don't do what I did and leave the on/off cable trailing so it nearly burns through from contact with the tarmac...oops...

Thanks!! Fortunately, on the Hobbywing HW-1060, the switch is attached to the ESC... It's ME proof!! 😜😄😂

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

That actually turned out pretty well! Are you running M-grips front and back? What would be a good setup for the M05 as far as tires are concerned?

Thank you so much!! I'm running M-Grips in Front, so I don't destroy them in 2 days (!!!).  S-Grips in the Rear, to get as much traction as possible with such a Light Rear End.

I ended up getting 4 M-Grips... so I'll have a couple of Front Spares. Only have the two S-Grips. When they're gone, I'll be hurting.

I just finished the Black Backing Coat. As hoped, it brought out a nice, rich tone to the very bright Red!! 👍👍  I'm glad I didn't use Silver.

I still have to finish the Rear Body Mounts, after the Paint cures... Tomorrow I'll fit the CORRECT 18T Steel Pinion Gear (THANKS!!), but I'm not at the point of running yet. 

I will definitely report how the current setup works. My Friend called me daft, for running 3S!! 😲  I honestly don't know... The only Batteries available to me when I had my older M Chassis Cars, was 7.2V NiMH.  I'm only running a 25 Turn Torque Tuned Motor. If I really go over the edge - I've also got a 19 Turn Radon Motor!!! 😧😲

• Like 1

Got the Black Backing Coat done... Wanted to see it, sitting on the Chassis! 😁😉

IMG_20200813_084338.jpg

IMG_20200813_084237.jpg

This Body is begging for Door Windows, isn't it?? 😉

• Like 2

Got the LAST mechanical issue FIXED!!! 😁  I've been VERY OCD over this, and ended up having to bring out "Captain Overkill" (a moniker my close Friends call me), to finally sort it... 

A short Video of before and after - with me, playing with my KORG M1 for background...

..... I may have one of the VERY FEW M Chassis Cars with almost NO STEERING SLOP!! 😁👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏   Of course again, I've never seen a M07 or 08.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

A very shapely shell - nice! 👍

Thank you so much!! After the Paint cures, the risky task of Epoxying the Rear Magnets to that very short Boot Lid begins...

.... Some more last steps! 

I've got all the Bits sufficiently Bodged for the Rear Body Mount. Time to start putting it together! 😁😧

IMG_20200813_173724.jpg

IMG_20200813_174138.jpg

I'm going to paint this Gloss Black, to better hide it inside the "Boot"!! 😜🇬🇧😁

IMG_20200813_174459.jpg

There's not going to be a lot of Boot Lid behind the Rear Window, so the Body Magnets need to go RIGHT UP against the Rear Spoiler! 😲

IMG_20200813_175038.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 2:50 PM, Carmine A said:

Ya know, you're right. I'm probably going to back it in Black, to richen the Red a bit. The Honda Red was darker... 

Thanks so much! Comments on my Thread seem a bit scarce. I know it's just another M05, I just like the interaction. 😊 Thanks so much also, for your very generous Help!!! 💯👍🍻🍻

The colour is has always been at it brightest as soon as the film comes off in my experience, and seems to loose a bit of lustre over time. 

And everyone knows Red is the fastest colour, that’s why Ferrari’s are red. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2020 at 10:31 PM, Re-Bugged said:

The colour is has always been at it brightest as soon as the film comes off in my experience, and seems to loose a bit of lustre over time. 

And everyone knows Red is the fastest colour, that’s why Ferrari’s are red. 

LOL Right!! This little Bug on 3S, SHOULD live up to the colour!! 😜😁

I have always seen that... I still haven't removed the film yet.  With a few of my other, nicer Cars, I will occasionally Polish, and regularly Wax my Bodies. 

It also makes cleaning a snap! 😉

• Like 1

TO FINISH THE REAR BODY MOUNT!! 😁🍺

I feel like it's taken way too long. I was just able to get the Epoxy....

IMG_20200815_072233.jpg

IMG_20200815_072636.jpg

The Wax Paper goes BETWEEN the Shelf Magnets, and the Magnets about to be Epoxied to the inside of the Body. I wasn't clear on that!! 😉

IMG_20200815_073503.jpg

Tilted the whole Car toward the rear. Epoxy doesn't run particularly FAST, but until initially cured, it does run some.

I'm working with a very tight location, so I wanted the excess to run into the Deck Spoiler. This has the added benefit of making the Rear of the Body MUCH more impact resistant!! 😁

IMG_20200815_083305.jpg

Edited by Carmine A
Added info about the Epoxy
  • Like 1

PART 2.....

IMG_20200815_083615.jpg

At least the Butter Wrapping was a fair stand-in! 😉

IMG_20200815_083924.jpg

IMG_20200815_084203.jpg

I did place small pieces of Masking Tape on each of the Magnets. I don't think the Paint would reduce the Magnet's strength, just a bit superstitious!! 😜

DIDN'T want it looking dingy and sanded looking...

IMG_20200815_084351.jpg

This DOES look better in person...

PART 3! 😁 The first unveiling!! (The Protective Film is still on...)

LMAO!!! DECKALS!!!! 😜😄😂😄😂

IMG_20200815_092156.jpg

She's sitting a little "off".... I'll work with it. 😖

IMG_20200815_092619.jpg

Didn't quite do a good enough job of disguising the Front Clips!! 😖  Hopefully some Paint will sort that aggravating issue...

On to Light Buckets next!! 😁

• Like 5

...... I'M AN IDIOT!!! 😖

No, it's true! The Pinion Gear issues I've been having... First it was the wrong Gears - then I got the Right Gears. It was STILL noisy, maybe not as much as before, but there. 

THEN, tonight, I was thumbing through the Manual - to cross reference parts to see what I have to change to fit the M05 V2 A Parts... I got to the page where you fit the Motor....... 

WRONG HOLES!!! 😠😠😖   I have an 18T Pinion. My Old Fart eyes couldn't really see the numbers molded into the Chassis, so I naturally ASSUMED that if there's three choices, 16, 18, 20 - OBVIOUSLY it must be the MIDDLE hole, right?

WRONG!!!! In the Manual, the 3 mounting positions are 20, 16 then 18!!! 😖😧

So yeah, I had the 18T Pinion Gear, in the 16T HOLE! No wonder it seemed very tight. Of course on a M Chassis Car, you have to trust the Holes - because there's NO WAY to see how the Gears are meshing! 

It's a LOT smoother and quieter in the RIGHT hole, but it still whines and has a click! 😞 

Did I just RUIN my FRP Spur Gear?? If I run it, will it just "bed in"?? Honestly I don't know.... Idiot!

• Sad 1

Well, if you run it, it will either bed in or it won't, but either way I don't see it getting any worse. You have nothing to lose by giving it a go. The coarse pitch of 0.6 module gears works in your favour - there is plenty of material to wear through, so you should be getting plenty of use out of it even if it has been a bit knackered by tight running.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Well, if you run it, it will either bed in or it won't, but either way I don't see it getting any worse. You have nothing to lose by giving it a go. The coarse pitch of 0.6 module gears works in your favour - there is plenty of material to wear through, so you should be getting plenty of use out of it even if it has been a bit knackered by tight running.

That's what I'm hoping - the Spur Gear is hopefully just soft enough to wear in with use. 

I'm sure NOTHING happened to the Steel Pinion!  Thank you so much!

10 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

....You have nothing to lose by giving it a go. The coarse pitch of 0.6 module gears works in your favour - there is plenty of material to wear through.....

New FRP Diff and Spur Gears coming, just to be safe...

I can't thank you Guys enough!!!