burakol

3D Printing M03 Mini Shell

This is my first time 3d printing a whole RC shell. I saw someone on Thingiverse who designed each M03 parts including the Mini shell so all credit is given to him... Since I am in need of one, I decided to try and print one for my own use... My 3d printer is a first gen Makerbot Rep2 so I am limited with the size of the build plate... Also, being that the printer is somewhat old and needs a lot of trial and error, I knew for a fact that this project will take time... 

The built chassis... too bad I am missing a pair of the original wheels...

OhmNIRfm.jpg

As mentioned, my build plate is limited in size so I had to print the shell into different pieces...
PnEtyJ4m.jpg
DyQ3oYrm.jpg
33ASv3Rm.jpg
IMEjdhAm.jpg

After printing 8 pieces total, it was time for me to puzzle them together... to look like this... Instead of using super glue to hold them together, I actually used a 3D pen instead... I found that piecing the pieces together with the pen is so much easier to work with rather than using CA/super glue... it feels sturdier and hardens a lot quicker... 
z5uk9pbm.jpg
IMxXAemm.jpg
MOBjn5Im.jpg
8BX8GeRm.jpg

The wheel arches can use some adjusting and aligning to even out the gaps, but not too bad... 
wBTOCwam.jpg
ZVW2wbhm.jpg

So I was trying to figure out the easiest material to work with in terms of filling the print gaps and smoothening (?) the print lines... I know I could have used bondo but I was too lazy to mix and clean... i read that some makers used wood fillers... no need to mix 2 parts, doesn't require special cleaning solvents, and no harmful fumes, and easier to sand... 

FLEicLzm.jpg
knozdLBm.jpg
EsTAYHSm.jpg
06ilIhcm.jpg
DWbGx2Km.jpg
QFskSZnm.jpg
wBxVSGZm.jpg
1ifVTYbm.jpg

Unfortunately, my wood filler ran out and I was too lazy to go to the store... So i rummaged around my garage and found some spackle for drywall... hmmm... I thought I could use it so I did... 

7e5WqNWm.jpg

Well... spackle is not the best material to use for this purpose... while it did adhere to the plastic, it crumbles and turns into powder during wet sanding... so I finally ordered more wood filler... 

cRLfcNUm.jpg

SAqynBem.jpg

cf7Vmetm.jpg

L8QdvIHm.jpg

first spray of primer... as you can see, there's still a lot of work to be done to at least hide imperfections... it definitely needs more sanding and filling... 
kHZkIcgm.jpg

• Like 6

That is AMAZING LOOKING!!! 👌👏👏👏👏👏

Seriously, I'm still waiting to be able to afford a 3D Printer. Even then there will be a LONG learning process... I'm CAD STUPID! 😖 Some nice People were nice enough to Print some parts for me. I can't imagine doing it myself! 

The part you're at now, I'm pretty good at. I've done a lot of Bodywork on 1:1 Vehicles. You're still in the TEDIOUS bit.... but it does get better, I promise! 😉

It actually amazes me how entire RC Bodies can now be 3D Printed. 

Do you have a link to the Guy on Thingiverse, who's doing the M03 parts?

2 hours ago, Carmine A said:

That is AMAZING LOOKING!!! 👌👏👏👏👏👏

Seriously, I'm still waiting to be able to afford a 3D Printer. Even then there will be a LONG learning process... I'm CAD STUPID! 😖 Some nice People were nice enough to Print some parts for me. I can't imagine doing it myself! 

The part you're at now, I'm pretty good at. I've done a lot of Bodywork on 1:1 Vehicles. You're still in the TEDIOUS bit.... but it does get better, I promise! 😉

It actually amazes me how entire RC Bodies can now be 3D Printed. 

Do you have a link to the Guy on Thingiverse, who's doing the M03 parts?

Here's the link... he printed every part and even redesigned some to allow and switch the servo to the rear... I imagine I can use his design for the rear steer, and reverse the direction for the motor so I can have a rear wheel driven M03. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2909394

I actually repainted and did some minor bodywork myself when I owned a 1989 Celica. Oh I loved that car but I had to let it go for a bigger sedan since family is growing...anyhow, it was a "project car" but on the cheaper sense.. ever heard of the $50 paintjob? It required hours of labor but it was worth the experience for me... used rollerbrush, oil based enamel paint, some paint hardener and a lot of wet sanding and some bondo... but I am no expert still...

u2ewbOI.jpg

OF0ZdSe.jpg

BwAVGI6.jpg

Feeling a little nostalgic now... I probably need to print this one next... 

There are a lot of affordable 3d printers now comparable to a cost if one Tamiya kit. Just look around... I think a rebrand from monoprice is a decent choice...

1 hour ago, Silver-Can said:

Madskills...nice. 👍

sXWbx1L.gif

Thank you... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Link! Can't wait to dig in to that!! 

Dude, you TRANSFORMED that Celica!!!! 👌👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 A lot of work there, and it shows.

I too think your Celica looks amazing. As someone about to embark on some 'home workshop' body work on my 1:1car I can only hope it comes out half as well as yours did. Top job 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

I too think your Celica looks amazing. As someone about to embark on some 'home workshop' body work on my 1:1car I can only hope it comes out half as well as yours did. Top job 🙂

I think the essential piece is taking your time and moving slow... at the end of it, the most fulfilling thing is that you know you did it yourself...

• Like 2

@burakol I've had time for lots of Shopping...

Unless something better comes along when I finally have money, I'm locked in to the Creality Ender 3 Pro. It's the most user-friendly, and that's important to this very Old School, tech stupid Guy! 😜

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, burakol said:

I think the essential piece is taking your time and moving slow... at the end of it, the most fulfilling thing is that you know you did it yourself...

Cheers mate. Allegedly it's summer in the UK now - just gotta wait for a spell of actual nice weather to get cracking 😂. Like you say, I need to take my time without dodging the showers!

3 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

Cheers mate. Allegedly it's summer in the UK now - just gotta wait for a spell of actual nice weather to get cracking 😂. Like you say, I need to take my time without dodging the showers!

Yeah... I remembered that I worked on my car in the heat of US summer... I have a one car garage but you could imagine how stuff I had to declutter to make this tiny car fit inside... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

@burakol I've had time for lots of Shopping...

Unless something better comes along when I finally have money, I'm locked in to the Creality Ender 3 Pro. It's the most user-friendly, and that's important to this very Old School, tech stupid Guy! 😜

That's a quality choice.... however, bear in mind that 3d printing will have its quirks and will require time and patience, and numerous wasted filament... but for a hobbyist, I think you'll get the hang of it... 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, burakol said:

That's a quality choice.... however, bear in mind that 3d printing will have its quirks and will require time and patience, and numerous wasted filament... but for a hobbyist, I think you'll get the hang of it... 

The only thing I'm certain of, is that I will waste a LOT of filament, and make some "interesting" hairy, stringy Blobs!!! 😄😂  

If I can get through the Software.... I should be good.

• Like 1

Good work on the Mini! I've just ordered a 3d printer. Anycubic Mega S. I want to try printing bodies for my Blitzer Beetle. Has anyone see that done before?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris-0000 said:

Good work on the Mini! I've just ordered a 3d printer. Anycubic Mega S. I want to try printing bodies for my Blitzer Beetle. Has anyone see that done before?

I have not, but if you look at Thingiverse or STL finder for a VW beetle design, you can always remix the way you want it... I think I saw someone designed the exhaust part for a sand scorcher though... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, burakol said:

I have not, but if you look at Thingiverse or STL finder for a VW beetle design, you can always remix the way you want it... I think I saw someone designed the exhaust part for a sand scorcher though... 

Thanks, yeah I might give that a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burakol said:

Look up Knight Customs... He has a Shapeways Store (EXPENSIVE), but he also has a My Mini Factory Store...  https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Knight_Customs 

Still not free, but cheap .stl files. He mostly does Crawler stuff and scale accessories, but he's also got really cool Dune Buggy, SRB and VW detail parts, if you wanted to go NUTZ! 

He's got 3D Printable 1/10th Scale Engines, including a couple of variants of VW Boxer 4s. He also includes detailed Engine accessories, multiple Exhausts, and interior and exterior Trim. 

OK, it's not for everyone... But if you want to do a really over the top build, that's the place to go! 😉

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Look up Knight Customs... He has a Shapeways Store (EXPENSIVE), but he also has a My Mini Factory Store...  https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Knight_Customs 

Still not free, but cheap .stl files. He mostly does Crawler stuff and scale accessories, but he's also got really cool Dune Buggy, SRB and VW detail parts, if you wanted to go NUTZ! 

He's got 3D Printable 1/10th Scale Engines, including a couple of variants of VW Boxer 4s. He also includes detailed Engine accessories, multiple Exhausts, and interior and exterior Trim. 

OK, it's not for everyone... But if you want to do a really over the top build, that's the place to go! 😉

Knight Customs is a member here ( Toykid ) < forum name . Great 3D Master builder    :P .    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matman said:

Knight Customs is a member here ( Toykid ) < forum name . Great 3D Master builder    :P .    

COOL!

21 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

COOL!

Thanks for the tips. My printer arrived today, very exciting, if I have any success i'll upload some pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had some time to continue working on the shell today... not much done except for some wet sanding. Tomorrow I will spray some primer and see how much more filling and sanding it needs... I'm not aiming for perfection but I also dont want it to look like a joke...

My daughter said she wants it to look like this...

eZVWPqh.jpg

I might be nearing it... 

This was after wet sanding it... had to lay it out to dry taking advantage if the hot sun... I'm not sure how the wood filler would hold up once the body is mounted on a running car... 

GNPbbRG.jpg

Still some visible imperfections on the window side... I know it's not going to be flat and perfect, but I'd be satisfied if I can at least hide the unevenness of it... 

IMkLWs2.jpg

Test fitted it on the chassis... it may be too late now but I realized that I could have just printed the shell without the mounting holes so I can align the shell myself... or at least use some magnets to hold the shell onto the chassis... the front wheel well looks to be spaced ok, the rear wheel and the rear arches needs some tweaking... I think lifting it up a bit will solve the spacing... I also need some proper wheels to go with the Mini... sadly, i only have two of the original wheels so I will probably 3d print a new set... these white HPI wheels are ok, but does go well with what I want to achieve... 

lxvAytv.jpg

That's if for now... 

• Like 2

ACTUALLY.... That looks like the perfect Junkyard Beater as it sits! 👍👍😎

I understand you're looking for more. Now you just need a Mr. Bean Figure to go with the yellow one! 😜

I was actually thinking of putting the flag of my birth country on the roof, instead if a union Jack initially... then when my daughter saw the shell, she said it will look way "cooler" if we go with the Bean car... so citron green paint should be here on Monday... 

I'm deciding now if I should cut the windows and actually put a clear/transparent material to mimick a window or just paint the windows black...  LEDs will also be part of the build eventually. 

@Carmine A have you gotten yourself a 3d printer yet? 

• Like 1

ABSOLUTELY cut out the Windows, and fit Lexan Sheet!! Shame to get this far, and blackout the Windows.....

I have dreamt of a 3D Printer for several years....  It would literally take a Miracle on my Disability Income. 💔😢   BUT, I've got a BIG chunk of Money coming next year!! 😁😁😁  Then I'm absolutely getting a Printer. 😉

21 hours ago, Carmine A said:

ABSOLUTELY cut out the Windows, and fit Lexan Sheet!! Shame to get this far, and blackout the Windows.....

I have dreamt of a 3D Printer for several years....  It would literally take a Miracle on my Disability Income. 💔😢   BUT, I've got a BIG chunk of Money coming next year!! 😁😁😁  Then I'm absolutely getting a Printer. 😉

Some afterthought from your suggestion... instead of cutting out the window, I might as well redesign the shell and reprint the body... I'm not really pleased with the outcome of this one so I'm hoping to have a better result with the printed body the second time... 

• Like 1