Snorky

Madcap driveshaft help please

Hi there,

My son was given an old Madcap by my wife’s work colleague which he’s really enjoying. So much so, he smacked it into a log he’d been using to jump it and sheared the lowed rear suspension mount. I’ve sourced a replacement, but during the incident, the driveshaft was thrown clear and couldn’t be found. Does anyone know if another pair of driveshafts can be used as replacements, as the originals seem to be tricky to source. I’ve read that Super Astute ones may fit? Are there such things are generic driveshafts? Sorry for the dimness, a bit new to all this, despite desperately wanting a Frog as a child. I think my day will soon come! Cheers, Nick

1 hour ago, Fruitfly01 said:

Astute items will fit.  jk-rc on Ebay is probably the cheapest around right now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Choice-Of-New-Genuine-Tamiya-Spare-Parts-For-Tamiya-Super-Astute-47381-R-C-Car/312812530473?hash=item48d5146b29:g:wAoAAOSwZy1draK7

otherwise a 70mm shaft with small ball ends will fit.

That’s brilliant pal. Thank you so much. I was hoping they would, as the original part number ones on eBay are £25! I shall sort it now! Much appreciated :)

Just to add  - if this falls through for any reason I have a couple of spare (used) drive shafts you can have cheap. I've modified my madcap and it now uses more standard length driveshafts. 

1 hour ago, Silver-Can said:

Just to add  - if this falls through for any reason I have a couple of spare (used) drive shafts you can have cheap. I've modified my madcap and it now uses more standard length driveshafts. 

Super kind pal. If it’s ok w. you, I’ll happily take them. An 8 year old who currently lacks mechanical sympathy is a fearsome opponent! Let me know what you want and how to see you right👍🏻

• Like 1

No worries mate. They're of no use to me now so just buy me a pint some time 🤪😁, plus I know what it's like having young kids waiting for stuff. Just pm your address/details and I'll stick them in the post tomorrow 👍 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

No worries mate. They're of no use to me now so just buy me a pint some time 🤪😁, plus I know what it's like having young kids waiting for stuff. Just pm your address/details and I'll stick them in the post tomorrow 👍 

How nice is that well done that man 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ploots said:

How nice is that well done that man 👍

Absolutely. Top chap indeed🙏🏻

• Like 1

Hi mate- all posted up and winging their way to you as we speak. Any problems give us a shout. So what car are you getting for yourself 😄😄👍👍

• Thanks 1

That’s brilliant pal, huge thanks to you 🙏🏻

I’m in a few minds as to what to get. Hornet or Frog is what I always wanted, although I’m really keen on the Brat too🥴It’ll certainly be from my distant youth tho!

• Like 1

Yeah I prefer the re release/older stuff for the nostalgia runs too. Well good luck and hope you're all sorted. 👍

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

Yeah I prefer the re release/older stuff for the nostalgia runs too. Well good luck and hope you're all sorted. 👍

Deffo older stuff for me. It’ll be nice to actually build one at last, as the Madcap came pre-enjoyed. Thank you again so much for the driveshafts, I’m hugely grateful and it’s great to find there are some top people on here 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

You're welcome. Fortunately, there are a lot of people on this forum willing to help out where they can, which is part of what makes this site such a great little corner of the interwebs.

Yeah, of my 11 or so cars I've only had 2 new in box builds - my hotshot and novafox. These were cars I drooled over as a kid back in the mid 80s before I drifted away to other things. They've both got plenty of miles on the clock and the hotshot is a bit 'triggers broom' with many replaced parts  - but still my 'original' hotshot. 😁

I had a hornet a while back which was a good beach bashers and bmx track jumper. Never had a frog but is defo on my 'when I get round to it' list.

• Like 1

Cheers pal, the driveshafts arrived today: we’re back in business👍🏻

11 is an impressive count! Is it just Tamiya you’ve had? There’s clearly heaps of others out there, but for me, it’s always been Tamiya that’s tugged on the nostalgia coat tails! 

I’m a little too old to remember the Madcap when it was released, but it seems to have a very diff inhibited power delivery? It maybe that’s how they all are, but it doesn’t like hills that steep! I need to get something ordered as even tinkering with the back of the Madcap got me wanting more. 

Really nice to hear your Hotshot is a, “Trigger’s broom”. Kinda feels like it’s had a proper life if bits and pieces have been swapped out and it’s still going strong. 

• Like 1

Good stuff. Glad you're up and running again. 11 cars is pretty small beer compared to some on here! Yeah most of them are tamiya but I have 3 Schumacher cars too as I was into the race scene until quite recently. The difference is night and day but they lack that certain...soul I guess, that you get with tamiya - particularly the earlier stuff.

Yeah the madcap diff is pretty weak. There are things you can do but it is my least used runner - mostly due to the diff but also cos parts are getting harder/more expensive to source too.