Sign in to follow this  
Trowa Jakuard

Avante 2011 Ball Diff

I've never built a ball diff before and would love some tips and tricks for it. I don't think I've done mine correctly.

I’m curious too. I haven’t liked the ball diffs I’ve played with and went back to gear diff on one of my BFs...

9 hours ago, Trowa Jakuard said:

love some tips and tricks for it

Follow the manual to the letter

Put a drop of loctite 242 or generic blue threadlock on the threads of the screw

Tighten it all the way up but don't crank down on the Allen key - just get a bit of resistance to it then stop

Stick the drive cup end in the chuck of a drill set to slow, hold the spur gear, then run the drill gently for a bit - you'll notice the bevel and drive cup rotating in opposite directions 

Stop the drill, take hand off spur and move it to bevel, hold that, run the drill again, you'll notice the spur gear rotating 

Pop the Allen key in the diff screw, feel if it can be tightened slightly more, if so, tighten it to where you get a bit of resistance then stop 

Put the diff in the car 

Off the ground, if you rotate the rear or front pair of wheels, the opposite end will rotate in the opposite direction. The action should feel smooth but not too loose. 

Periodically check the action - if it has loosened then it needs some TLC and maybe more threadlock.

HTH.