Sign in to follow this  
67CamaroSS

Easy Bedliner Application

At first I was going to mask the bedliner, paint it  then hit it with matte spray on the outside. But I think it’s difficult sometimes to mask these things so I went a different way.

1. After I painted the body, with the overspray film still one, I lightly scored the area  around area of the bedliner.. Don’t worry if it’s straight, you will mask it later.

2. I then peeled off just the portion of the bed that wanted lined.

3. Then I applied vinyl tape on the four edges and any portion not covered by the film. You could probably use a good paper mask but  really like the vinyl stuff.

4. I then sprayed the bedliner with some truck bed coating I picked up at Home Depot. This big can cost 8.50 and sprayed  on with 2 coats. It dries pretty fast. It had a nice semi-gloss and texture.

5. Then I removed the mask and overspray film and it looks great.

you could probably do the same for wheel arches and roofs.

F16EC69C-2D38-4F39-9160-A6047ABCA890.jpeg

CA6557FF-5D31-487B-A762-E4EF30727C5B.jpeg

36EB0525-EEA7-4972-B264-544C449B8B79.jpeg

E72A0CC8-4C17-474D-96DC-B52CE2596E09.jpeg

6AD3D592-6D22-49E5-B425-D594AF045C97.jpeg

• Like 5

I didn’t know such things existed. Looks great. Is it a textured paint?

That's a neat trick, and one I use also.  If you have a recessed area to trim against you don't even need to mask with tape either.

Just be warned that where you have scored to cut the film, the body will be slightly weaker.  Same applies when using liquid mask on the inside :)

Yes its a textured paint.  I bought some regular flat spray to test it on a scrap piece and I liked this look better.

Mad Ax- the over spray film is so thin, just a little pressure with a brand new blade does the trick. Its nowhere near the pressure when I trim a body.  Also, many of the crawler bodies are made of thicker lexan so I don't think weakening the body is an issue.