Sign in to follow this  
slimleeroy

Hicaps on avante

Hi guys. I have an avante 2011 re re and have a set of hicaps which I want to put on.  I have ordered the front extended shock tower but was curious if I need to shorten the length of the hicaps due  them having too much length/travel. Has anyone done this conversion and do you know what length the shocks need to be. 

Thanks for taking time to read guys

The back packaging from the original Hicap mini dampers suggests a length of 71mm.

50144520651_0b6c392265_o.jpg

So here is my story.   I added high caps to my Avante BSE and did not over think it.  I just build the shocks per the directions included in the high cap damper set and attached them to the buggy.   Yes, I had to compress the fronts a bit  to make them fit and overall, the set raised the stance of the buggy considerably.  But for me that is OK because I like higher riding buggies, as long as the rake rear to front is level or slightly lower in the front.  

The trouble with Avante high caps is attaching the body.  This requires some thought.  You have to get the body shell in position before attaching the front shock tower to the chassis and the shocks to the shocks to the front shock tower.  I can guide you thru it if need be, but for now here are some pics of my front end with high caps.  Just build them and put them on.  Its a great upgrade and makes for a more stout standing buggy.

GJF  

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

I know that response does not specifically answer your question as to overall damper length, but as I see it, I would just build the dampers per the instructions and then add them to the buggy.  Yes, once installed and pinned in place on the buggy the overall travel of the front dampers will be less than that of the damper when not attached to the buggy.   However, the amount of suspension travel the buggy has is actually only partially controlled bu the throw of the damper, but will encompass the amount of suspension travel allowed by the length of the upper turn buckle and the length of the steering linkage.

Again, just build the dampers per the included instructions and add to buggy.   Then adjust stance to your liking using other suspension geometries.  It's a game, you'll figure it out. 

4 hours ago, GeoJohnF said:

I know that response does not specifically answer your question as to overall damper length, but as I see it, I would just build the dampers per the instructions and then add them to the buggy.  Yes, once installed and pinned in place on the buggy the overall travel of the front dampers will be less than that of the damper when not attached to the buggy.   However, the amount of suspension travel the buggy has is actually only partially controlled bu the throw of the damper, but will encompass the amount of suspension travel allowed by the length of the upper turn buckle and the length of the steering linkage.

Again, just build the dampers per the included instructions and add to buggy.   Then adjust stance to your liking using other suspension geometries.  It's a game, you'll figure it out. 

Awesome thanks for the help 👍