I’ve had issues with a set of shocks from the beginning, rebuilt them and went as far as to buy a new set. Got all air out the new set, got rebound working correctly, one thing with these shocks is that with the stiffest springs still won’t fully extend the shock fully back out again (soggy bottom and non-existent front). To get them working I’ve squeezed in 80mm spring into 60mm shocks, and they now are slightly bouncy but at least fully extend and also take jumps well without bottoming out.

Should shocks work straight out of the packet, are they built with underrated components so you have to buy hop-ups?

Yeah Racing 60mm shock set with big bore soft 80mm springs, without any shocks involved everything is lubricated and moves freely. 

Cheers,

Al

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, catman79 said:

do they have adjustable collars for ride height adjustment??

Yep, I had them set all the way down to the bottom, the hard 60mm springs had enough in them to lift about 70% of the arms movement, but the shocks provided no cushioning on a small landing or ramp impact.

what car is it for? are you sure 60mm shocks are long enough?

can you post a pic of the set up?

11 minutes ago, catman79 said:

what car is it for? are you sure 60mm shocks are long enough?

can you post a pic of the set up?

GF01 uprated a little, please don’t laugh too much 😃.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I tried to get more movement out of them, buying the 80mm shocks but it interferes with the drive shafts as the angle is too much, perhaps I should try 70mm...

its a tricky one, you can wind the collars to the bottom, but if the springs are too soft / car is too heavy you will just compress the spring as apposed to gaining ride height, do you have any standard tamiya springs you could fit to try, as these are pretty stiff. 

• Thanks 1

just to clafiry, you have tried winding the collars down towards the ground?, 

yours looks like its sitting ok, most seem to sit with the wishbones level. what shock oil are you using, next step i would try is thicker oil. 

Yep, what you see here are the big bore springs on a standard off road shock set they do, so here I get full movement which is great and there’s resistance when I push down with my hand, only thing I notice is that it will bounce back up again slightly.

You would just think that with the long arm kit and the shocks they do with it everything would work well, it’s got to be user error, might nip into a LHS to see what they think.

try thicker shock oil, it will slow the damping down, might be your issue. for the sake of a bottle of oil its worth a go. 

• Thanks 1

So could this be the reason why there’s lack of movement in the front suspension? The two pivot points are not parallel... Some sort of dog leg 5mm ball connector joint to compensate??

32022C66-C090-46A6-97F4-08D051338D44.thumb.jpeg.af46085250834fd0433316c4a6ed5a43.jpeg

Angles and arm length look good. The springs look to be too firm. Generally, a small amount of sag is desirable.

Does the suspension travel freely whith the shocks off the vehicle?

Yes they do, the movement up is restricted by the length of part that controls the camber angle, I’ve bought these Tamiya low friction ball joints to try to make them move as freely as possible, they were closed ball joints a few days ago, might try 70mm springs just to take the edge off.

I really not liking it bottoming out, if the rear bottoms out the tires grind on where the body pegs are mounted.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:32 AM, •Axle said:

I tried to get more movement out of them, buying the 80mm shocks but it interferes with the drive shafts as the angle is too much, perhaps I should try 70mm...

If you wanted to revert to plastic , you could put on Comical Buggy arms with your longer shocks. I believe they are longer and should give more travel with 80mm shocks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

If you wanted to revert to plastic , you could put on Comical Buggy arms with your longer shocks. I believe they are longer and should give more travel with 80mm shocks 

Thanks for this, will have a look and add it to my RcMart order before I commit.

Before you Bin those (or just repurpose), Yeah Racing Aluminum Shocks are pretty decent. I've used them for years. However, the O-Ring Seals tend to be a bit sticky... 

I always replace mine with Tamiya or Team Associated (better) O-Rings. AND Green Slime, liberally on the Seals.

What's happening is, at full extension, the Spring doesn't have enough pressure to overcome the sticking O-Rings. This is true for any Brand of Shocks, when the Shaft Seals are too tight or installed DRY (no lube). This has been the case about 90% of the time. I hope this helps! 😉

• Like 1

An update on the shocks, so after a bit of a wait the 70mm Yeah Racing shocks came through, tinkered with them finding that they extended too far in the rear and the dogbones would fall out, placed some spacers inside restricting the length. I’m finding this setup nice as they are soft with a lot of movement, having the full movement there has made a difference. Got some Tamiya seals on their way and going to order some nice o-rings too!

01F4B4E5-9B2E-43F9-9D5A-A17EED4E8A61.thumb.jpeg.2176331c962904b449a845b7b1ff3583.jpeg8B6BBD72-1C03-4F30-832F-082E23391947.thumb.jpeg.d36dbaf430a3f962d7a70bc7677a63ae.jpeg6B23DD16-48C2-4AAA-B1A5-6F4A69551613.thumb.jpeg.81fabd7f6feaf2681c1106a39e79d965.jpeg

• Thanks 1