burakol

Opinion wanted. What is the better approach?

So now that I've recently acquired a ReRe Terra Scorcher for my daughter, I wanted to know your opinion on what's the better approach among the choices the when it comes to supporting the A5 part. Bearing in mind that this will be my daughter's, it is imperative that the A5 part must be reinforced one way or the other:

1. Reprint a more robust A5 part from a 3d printer... 

2. Hot screw method 

3. Use the Xtra Speed part in lieu of the kit A5 (trying not to due cost) 

4. Create a steel bracket as a reinforcer

5. Use shafts and e clips and throw away the screw pin (may I know the exact parts I need for this please?) 

Thanks! 

My showroom details the shafts and spacers needed for lower arms.

Having said that if you buy £10 steel support from model build from eBay it should protect the plastic part for years (my runner has 100+ hours from 2014 and is still good and that is using screw pins)

BUT I consider myself a fairly sensible driver, some jumps and some crashes so nothing too crazy!

Depending on the age and experience of the driver of also recommend slowing the top speed down and increasing it slowly as experience increases.

1 hour ago, burakol said:

So now that I've recently acquired a ReRe Terra Scorcher for my daughter, I wanted to know your opinion on what's the better approach among the choices the when it comes to supporting the A5 part. Bearing in mind that this will be my daughter's, it is imperative that the A5 part must be reinforced one way or the other:

1. Reprint a more robust A5 part from a 3d printer... 

2. Hot screw method 

3. Use the Xtra Speed part in lieu of the kit A5 (trying not to due cost) 

4. Create a steel bracket as a reinforcer

5. Use shafts and e clips and throw away the screw pin (may I know the exact parts I need for this please?) 

Thanks! 

If you want something that will never break, I would go with the xtra speed part. I have had an a5 part break on mine when using the brace but I did a nose dive off a skate ramp :lol:

The next option I would use would be the e-clips and shafts. The part number for the bag is 53301. Perhaps a combination of those and a brace would be good. 

Great car by the way :D

Time to source the parts... the spacer set is what appears to be oos, or gets pricey compared to the shafts.. 

Are there any other brand/set I can buy other than the tamiya set?

This is my first new build in almost 30 years so could I ask what the specifics of the problem to which you are referring are.  I look at Step A5 page 5 and presume an issue with the propeller joints. What exactly is the xtra speed part?  I also posted a question about the screws in A4 with the BA1 too short to reach the BA9 nut so for now I used one of the BB2 screws.  The BA1 is 20mm and the BB2 is 27mm.  Finally, in A6 they use a plastic E1 as the bushing and I wonder why they did not use a BA11 bearing instead.  I appreciate any feedback.

1 hour ago, MrBlz said:

This is my first new build in almost 30 years so could I ask what the specifics of the problem to which you are referring are.  I look at Step A5 page 5 and presume an issue with the propeller joints. What exactly is the xtra speed part?  I also posted a question about the screws in A4 with the BA1 too short to reach the BA9 nut so for now I used one of the BB2 screws.  The BA1 is 20mm and the BB2 is 27mm.  Finally, in A6 they use a plastic E1 as the bushing and I wonder why they did not use a BA11 bearing instead.  I appreciate any feedback.

The plastic A5 piece that holds the front suspension uses a pin screw in order to attach the upper arm. That A5 part is a known weak point for this chassis. The plastic can easily crack when screwing the parts using the pin screw, or can crack on heavy impacts. There are some alternative ways to attach the A5 part which are aforementioned above.  The Xtra Speed part is an aftermarket part that replaces the plastic A5 piece into a metal part and shaft pins instead of the screw.

For your other question, I defer to other member as I have not started my Terra Scorcher build... but I would also be interested to know the responses.. 

I received a response on the screw question.  I was not using the correct hole.  The screw is 20mm when you put it where it belongs.  :-)