Nwc100

Finally painting the lunchie!!

After building her 2 months ago finally we managed to get some paint, straight out of Halfords bargain bin so this is what we have!

Going to get a coat or two of primer on it tonight whilst the little one is in bed, he wanted it yellow but that wasn't in budget so here we go!

IMG-20200724-WA0003.jpeg

Screenshot_20200724-200650~2.png

• Like 4

I have had a 1:1 Honda in Super Sonic Blue Pearl for 18 years so can recommend the colour 😁

aiDSHLg.jpg

oQwFjWu.jpg

• Like 4

What the badword is that?  Some sort of JDM Civic Type R Estate or poss even Accord Estate - difficult to gauge the size from those pics?  Nice looking wagon whatever.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, berman said:

I have had a 1:1 Honda in Super Sonic Blue Pearl for 18 years so can recommend the colour 😁

aiDSHLg.jpg

oQwFjWu.jpg

Corrrrrr !! - love it !!

Great colour for the Lunchie too

• Like 1

That sure is a great wagon! I can't imagine you see many of them anywhere!

So far it's primed and coloured, I'm way to impatient for spraying though and so it's getting another night in the airing cupboard to bake and then will get rubbed down and lacquered tomorrow afternoon, I'm not 100% certain on rubbing down the colour but I'm going to do it I think 🤷

It currently looks much darker than the pictures I've seen of it but it may just be the light indoors and its lack of lacquer.

I'm not too worried as my 5yr old will be let loose on it soon so I imagine it will be ruined after about 5 minutes of him running it.

• Haha 2

Honda uses white primer, so might be why it looks a bit darker if you used a grey👍 Can't wait to see it!

• Like 1

That's Halfords for you! Says on the lid to use grey primer!

2 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

I'm not 100% certain on rubbing down the colour but I'm going to do it I think

If the base finish is looking good with no debris stuck to it , I wouldn't rub it down in case you go through the base coat , It's going to be a runner so it wll be fine

• Like 1

Here she is so far, a totally different colour to the 1:1 above but I don't mind, we have just started to lacquer it and isn't perhaps as great as I'd hoped for, I'm not sure if I should have rubbed it down a little more or not, but anyway it's on its way!

We have also visited Halfords bargain bin for some more tins of paint and maybe will pick up a few more bodies when they become available and have another go 😁

DSC_2341.JPG

DSC_2343.JPG

• Like 2

Looking good . Depending on how you sprayed the base coat the top laquer coat should be good . Build up a few layers to get some depth , then you can flat and polish the laquer once it is good and cured

Silly question, but flat and polish?

I presume rub it down with something and then polish with?

Everydays a school day!

Thanks.

Yes , flat with very fine wet and dry if you think the finish is a bit rough ? . I flat then use a cutting polish then polish with finishing polish . The way to avoid after finishing on a runner is to coat in fine coats then apply your last coat as a 'wet coat' which is border line to running but not , takes a bit of getting used to

When you say very fine wet & dry, do you mean circa 1200 or even finer?  And would T-Cut do as a cutting polish? Thanks

Yes , 1200 or finer , then T cut if it is the fine grit , nothing too severe . I use a T cut scratch remover paste , very fine and forgiving , then polish up with a finish polish . I use Auto Glym . As I said before , you need to have a good depth ( coats ) of laquer in order to be able to cut back and polish

Yup needs a decent amount of clear as Kev said! Then sand back if need be and polish. 

If you are going to do a few more bodies, practice getting the right amount of base coat and clear, too heavy and it runs and wicks the paint from the details, too thin and it orange peels,  too far away and it dries before it hits the body. Perfect and it looks like glass and you don't have to sand and polish 😎 

That does look more blue than mine, my 1:1 regularly gets called purple 😬

Well it got done! It's definitely not exactly as imagined, but I'm pretty happy with it and as the soon to be 5yr old will be running it I can live with it, thanks for all the great advice and definitely will be ordering some more bodies too practice on!DSC_2362.thumb.JPG.65ec5a95bbdf59d45d06d597f6db7024.JPG

• Like 7

That looks smart, the purple and orange are near opposite on the colour wheel so complement each other well, especially with the yellow wheels.

Wow that looks a really nice colour combination and you seems to have achieved a good paint finish.

Enjoy looking at it now as i doubt it'll look this good when your 5yr old takes over. :D

2 hours ago, Ministrone said:

i doubt it'll look this good when your 5yr old takes over

What DO you mean ;)

8 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

Well it got done! It's definitely not exactly as imagined, but I'm pretty happy with it and as the soon to be 5yr old will be running it I can live with it, thanks for all the great advice and definitely will be ordering some more bodies too practice on!DSC_2362.thumb.JPG.65ec5a95bbdf59d45d06d597f6db7024.JPG

It does look good though - a good decision on the colour , the laquer and decals make it pop !!