Nicadraus

XV-01RS - C/F Special

16 hours ago, Edo Rally said:

Can anyone suggest a good brushless motor and esc combo in the 50-150$ range I just got the 58528 | Tamiya 1/10 XV-01 Team Arai and just got back into rc and I d really appreciate any help.

I am using a Hobbywing combo in my XV-01: Ezrun Max10 ESC with Ezrun 3652SL 3300KV motor.

It is sensorless and the motor comes with non-removable attached cables and 3.5mm male connectors. The ESC has 3.5mm female connectors. In the XV-01 you will need to order or solder extensions though as the fixed motor cables are not long enough.

I am using it with the kit gearing (22T pinion, I think) and it is plenty fast and offers ridiculous torque, so it is very easy to drift and slide through turns. I like the combo and would buy it again.

• Like 2

I ended up getting thsi: Hobbywing QuicRun 1/10 Brushless Sensored System 120A ESC w/ 13.5T Black-G2 Motor & YA-0201 Fan Combo
do you have any links or know where is best to order extensions. It doesn t say anywhere if they re soldered or not..I presume not..Also no idea about the pignon s  size(yet) hopefully i can use the ones in the box....

3 hours ago, Edo Rally said:

I ended up getting thsi: Hobbywing QuicRun 1/10 Brushless Sensored System 120A ESC w/ 13.5T Black-G2 Motor & YA-0201 Fan Combo
do you have any links or know where is best to order extensions. It doesn t say anywhere if they re soldered or not..I presume not..Also no idea about the pignon s  size(yet) hopefully i can use the ones in the box....

Here's the extension

https://www.rcmart.com/hobbywing-axe-300mm-extended-wire-set-30850301-00101776

But if you're to do your own wires at custom length, get a couple of this. and it'll make a cleaner look.

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-12awg-silver-silicone-wire-set-bk-bu-rd-wpt-0030-00026285

https://www.rcmart.com/3racing-12awg-36inch-silicon-cable-blue-bat-ca1236-bu-00085036

• Like 2

Some shots while waiting for some small parts to arrive.
Ordered all blue screws and aluminum differential unit covers from RCMart plus a few other spares like knuckles, suspension arms, rear uprights, and belt. I also placed the fan inside and put the covers on. Bought new wheels and x-pattern tires set online for only $11 (shipping included). Great grip on concrete and the wheel is exactly the same as Tamiya.

XV-01RS parts list

• 53569 Aluminum wheels hubs (6mm)
  • 54234 Aluminum spur gear adapter (FF-03) 
  • 54247 Aluminum turnbuckle 3x18
  • 54248 Aluminum turnbuckle 3x23
  • 54250 Aluminum turnbuckle 3x42
  • 54376 Aluminum suspension mounts (separate 1XJ -RF)
  • 54377 Aluminum suspension mounts (separate 1XM - FR)
  • 54379 Aluminum suspension mounts (1XJ - FF & RR)
  • 54387 Titanium coated suspension shaft
  • 54428 Steel bevel gears (front and rear)
  • 54450 Aluminum pulley (front and rear)
  • 54451 Aluminum steering arm (XV-01/FF-03)
  • 54452 Carbon fiber shock towers (front)
  • 54453 Carbon Fiber shock tower (rear)
  • 54454 Aluminum steering bridge (XV-01/FF-04)
  • 54495 Aluminum servo mount (RM-01)
  • 54515 Universal steel shafts (front)
  • 54602 TA-06 Aluminum gear differential unit cover (front and rear)
  • 13450449 Aluminum motor plate (blue)
  • 54869 Open face reinforced ball end adjusters (5mm)
  • 84406 Carbon fiber bumper brace (FF-03/04/XV-01)
  • Carbon fiber servo mount stiffener
  • Carbon fiber front bulkhead brace 3mm (DIY)
  • Carbon fiber fan guard 2mm (DIY)
  • Aluminum screws (blue)
  • Yeah Racing Shock Gear 60mm
  • Full ball rubber-sealed bearings (replaced the stock ones)
  • All hex screws (mixed aluminum and steel)

F5vz51lh.jpg

L8RHztHh.jpg

• Like 6

Back to Ex Vee...

Installed the newly arrived aluminum differential cover, steel bevel and new counter gear (newer & better design).

nDQXBCjh.jpg

1Lo1pMOh.jpg

WlldPath.jpg

ncISSIjh.jpg

Blue screw up!

luGDBvph.jpg

PGsxCE2h.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Really love these XV Cars almost as much as the FF Cars!  In some ways.... more! 😊 

Were the XV Series the only ones that came with inner Wheelwells? I'm still surprised that didn't catch on. My Axials and Redcat Crawlers all have available Inner Fenderwells... Even my Axial Wraith has them!!

The newest ones, SCX10 III and Gen 8 - come with them stock! I'm only just getting back into Tamiya, after 12 years in Crawlers... I would have thought that ALL Rally Spec Cars would naturally come with Inner Fenderwells.

That's quite a bit of BLUE goodness and a stout looking Gearbox. But then, these are an impressive bit of Kit anyway!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Really love these XV Cars almost as much as the FF Cars!  In some ways.... more! 😊 

Were the XV Series the only ones that came with inner Wheelwells? I'm still surprised that didn't catch on. My Axials and Redcat Crawlers all have available Inner Fenderwells... Even my Axial Wraith has them!!

The newest ones, SCX10 III and Gen 8 - come with them stock! I'm only just getting back into Tamiya, after 12 years in Crawlers... I would have thought that ALL Rally Spec Cars would naturally come with Inner Fenderwells.

That's quite a bit of BLUE goodness and a stout looking Gearbox. But then, these are an impressive bit of Kit anyway!!

I think only the XV comes with the inner fenders in Tamiya kits as standard.

• Thanks 1

Changed the servo horn and this is perfect for the XV. No binding on the sides and no stress for the tie-rod too.

tJuyquDh.jpg

IXqnU63h.jpg

aFdvJCPh.jpg

I also did the same to my friend's XV. Upgraded his servo mount to aluminum and installed a carbon fiber plate too underneath.

RbNy72Dh.jpg

giH1MxNh.jpg

qnOEuzah.jpg

• Like 5

Finally completed the blue screws on the upper side. Under chassis still uses steel screws.

7rLKSioh.jpg

Uwc2xhKh.jpg

RXylImDh.jpg

• Like 4

Very pretty build!

If you are intending to use it off road, a solid servo horn will cause the bellcranks to break, and I'd stand the servo up to prevent stones from jamming the steering. Also, as nice as the inner fenders are, they raise the CG enough that removing them will really improve corner speed.

The XV is my all time favorite chassis. Really haven't found another that scratches so many itches so effortlessly. I can go from ripping up a dirt rally course to pavement with no changes, or swap the shocks and tires, crank down the droop, and beat up dedicated touring cars on asphalt or get around a carpet track. I've run mine as a rally car, natch, and won two season championships with it, and run on carpet, Astro, indoor and outdoor red clay, grey and black racing rug, asphalt, concrete, gravel, grass, red clay oval, and have even done very mild trail runs ("nature trails", not hiking trails. Think of a dirt sidewalk.). I still haven't done a truck version yet.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 11:46 PM, Big Jon said:

Very pretty build!

If you are intending to use it off road, a solid servo horn will cause the bellcranks to break, and I'd stand the servo up to prevent stones from jamming the steering. Also, as nice as the inner fenders are, they raise the CG enough that removing them will really improve corner speed.

The XV is my all time favorite chassis. Really haven't found another that scratches so many itches so effortlessly. I can go from ripping up a dirt rally course to pavement with no changes, or swap the shocks and tires, crank down the droop, and beat up dedicated touring cars on asphalt or get around a carpet track. I've run mine as a rally car, natch, and won two season championships with it, and run on carpet, Astro, indoor and outdoor red clay, grey and black racing rug, asphalt, concrete, gravel, grass, red clay oval, and have even done very mild trail runs ("nature trails", not hiking trails. Think of a dirt sidewalk.). I still haven't done a truck version yet.

Thank you for the appreciation and suggestions. :)

But I like the way my XV drives according to how I set it up and suits my driving style. I also like the fenders as it protect from direct stones and dirt. I've set this mainly as a parking lot (tarmac) and dirt track rally car. I have a few on-road cars for asphalt which I use when I occasionally go to the local on-road track.

Hope you can share your XV too. ;)

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with not using Servo Savers! 👍👍 I haven't used them since the early 90's. I've used solid Servo Arms on everything from my M05 to my 13.6lb Axial Wraith. It's a small risk on Crawlers - but you just spend a little extra on Über powerful Servos. (I run 30-50kg Servos in mine) 

On-Road Cars have the advantage of Fenders (Wings), to protect the Front Wheels to some extent... 

In rare cases, I use Kimborough Servo Savers. Very tight and quite strong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carmine A said:

There's nothing wrong with not using Servo Savers! 👍👍 I haven't used them since the early 90's. I've used solid Servo Arms on everything from my M05 to my 13.6lb Axial Wraith. It's a small risk on Crawlers - but you just spend a little extra on Über powerful Servos. (I run 30-50kg Servos in mine) 

On-Road Cars have the advantage of Fenders (Wings), to protect the Front Wheels to some extent... 

In rare cases, I use Kimborough Servo Savers. Very tight and quite strong.

Using servo savers in the XV-01 and most touring/rally cars won't make your car run straight. Something I won't compromise over servo saving. That is one of the issues of the XV-01.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Using servo savers in the XV-01 and most touring/rally cars won't make your car run straight. Something I won't compromise over servo saving. That is one of the issues of the XV-01.

That has been my issue with ALL RC Cars and Servo Savers!! Kimborough still being the only exception.... 

I always run SOLID Servo Arms. Worst case, I'll sometimes run a Plastic Servo Arm in some Buggies - to prevent serious Front Suspension DAMAGE! 

However, it's still a solid Servo Arm. Theory is, in a very hard side impact, the Plastic Arm will Strip its Teeth - saving the Suspension and Servo (often the single most expensive item on some of my Rigs!!) (The Servo on my Wraith cost $329.00 USD!! 😲 but it delivers 530 in.oz. of Torque (48kg) and has been Bulletproof over the past 6 years!)

..... And Tamiya in general has ENOUGH SLOP in the Front End without adding more with a Servo Saver!!  😲  (For those of us who aren't fortunate enough to be able to afford every Blue Hopup in the Catalog)

.... Yes, I'm for NOT using Servo Savers!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

(The Servo on my Wraith cost $329.00 USD!! 😲 but it delivers 530 in.oz. of Torque (48kg) and has been Bulletproof over the past 6 years!)

..... And Tamiya in general has ENOUGH SLOP in the Front End without adding more with a Servo Saver!!  😲  (For those of us who aren't fortunate enough to be able to afford every Blue Hopup in the Catalog)

.... Yes, I'm for NOT using Servo Savers!

Wow! That is one very expensive servo. 

The ones I'm using are Power HD L12HV ($60) in the FF-03 Pro-R, Power HD LW-20MG 20kg servo ($22) in the CC-01, SPT 4412LV ($12) in the XV-01/FF-03RR/FF-01/S10, and SPT 5425LV 25kg ($14) in the CFX. All are cheap and reliable.

The PHD L12HV is one f the fastest and very responsive servos I've ever seen. These China servos are really impressive. I stayed away from expensive servos (Futaba, Savox, Ko Propo, Hi-tech) when I got back to this hobby two years ago. I did a lot of research, read reviews and watched videos too.

12 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Wow! That is one very expensive servo. 

The ones I'm using are Power HD L12HV ($60) in the FF-03 Pro-R, Power HD LW-20MG 20kg servo ($22) in the CC-01, SPT 4412LV ($12) in the XV-01/FF-03RR/FF-01/S10, and SPT 5425LV 25kg ($14) in the CFX. All are cheap and reliable.

The PHD L12HV is one f the fastest and very responsive servos I've ever seen. These China servos are really impressive. I stayed away from expensive servos (Futaba, Savox, Ko Propo, Hi-tech) when I got back to this hobby two years ago. I did a lot of research, read reviews and watched videos too.

Ironically, the Servo in my Wraith IS a Futaba!! 😲 a BLS373SV, Brushless Digital Metal Geared BEAST. It also runs on direct Battery power, so on 3S - I get 48kg....  I'm an old Fart in the Hobby. Been doing it since 1984! I've used Futaba since day one.

However, the past few years, when I legitimately became PoorManRC..... I also did research and like you, made exciting discoveries.  PARTICULARLY Power HD! I also have LW-20MG in both of my SCX10 IIs with ZERO issues for nearly 3 Years. Excellent product!  Have LW-25MG Servos in my SCX10 One and now my little M05!!! 😲  Extreme OVERKILL yes, but it's all I had available. I suspect I'll NEVER have to replace that one.  My TT02 gets a R-25HV, which has been in 3 other Cars and Buggies, and is phenomenally FAST. Even that one cost about a Third of the cost of the Futaba!!! 

So I've definitely changed as well. 😉 

..... If I can finally afford my FF-03, will I NEED a low profile Servo??

27 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

..... If I can finally afford my FF-03, will I NEED a low profile Servo??

For touring and rally cars and even in some 2wd buggies, I think low profile servo is better as they are lighter and compact (less consuming of space). Other than that, I don't see any other advantage if it's at par in terms of specs against its non-low profile counterpart. 9-12kg is more than enough for 1:10 on-road and rally cars. Speed is the main factor. At least minimum of .09 - .11 secs. The Power HD L12HV is rated at .06secs @7.4v/12kg in an all aluminum casing. I made a short video of the Power HD and SPT a couple of weeks back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CRAP that's fast!! Impressive. 👍👍   I definitely see your point.  I haven't Raced professionally in well over 20 years.... But weight reduction will always be a plus.

That is a mighty fast servo. 

On a related note, I did notice that you have open-face ball connectors on your XV-01. Given that a rally car is likely to see sand/dust/gravel, wouldn't open-face connectors be counter-intuitive?

Just curious, no judgement :D

I simply don't know enough about the hobby to judge anyway lol.

Oh and another thing: I noticed on my XV-01 that there is not much thread securing the front damper mount ball end, unlike the rear where the thread goes all the way into the ball end. A. is this the case with yours as well? and B. is this a cause for concern?

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 8:43 AM, DeadMeat666 said:

That is a mighty fast servo. 

On a related note, I did notice that you have open-face ball connectors on your XV-01. Given that a rally car is likely to see sand/dust/gravel, wouldn't open-face connectors be counter-intuitive?

Just curious, no judgement :D

I simply don't know enough about the hobby to judge anyway lol.

Oh and another thing: I noticed on my XV-01 that there is not much thread securing the front damper mount ball end, unlike the rear where the thread goes all the way into the ball end. A. is this the case with yours as well? and B. is this a cause for concern?

I hate using servo savers. Ever since. They just don't make the car run straight in most cases. I think servo savers are necessary to old servos like S3003 or others that uses plastic or weak metal gears. While I've had many bumps and crashes before, I haven't encountered breaking a servo using traditional servo horns with these modern servos. In the case of the XV, I've tried several servo horns and the tie rod and ball cap hit the chassis with the normal servo saver causing it to bind. Especially with standard sized servos. If the ball connector is reversed using a normal horn, the tie rod is stressed resulting to popping the cap off or bending the tie rod itself.

As seen here, the tie rod is stretched out too far.

luGDBvph.jpg

I found this servo horn to be perfect.

tJuyquDh.jpg

No stress on the tie rod, no popping out of ball caps at maximum steer and no binding anywhere at all.

ghKclMxh.jpg

W2UPXAWh.jpg

With regards to the front damper ball connectors, use longer screws. I used 20mm screws for the front damper and added a 2.5mm spacer to align the front shock tower.

StCVFSEh.jpg

cMlmpogh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is really one WELL thought out, dialed in Front Suspension and Steering!! 🍻👍👍  You and I definitely agree on a TIGHT setup that most People either can't understand or wouldn't bother doing. 

I've been setting up RCs in this manner since the mid 80's... I WON Races. And I can promise you NOT because I was the best Driver!! 😜   Some People called me Anal back then... Some thought I was CHEATING!  Most just didn't get it.... 

And I'm NOT going to claim that I INVENTED the concept either!! There were several like me back in the day, who also Raced 1:1 Cars - who quickly saw the disadvantage of your Front End flopping all over the place! 😲  Tamiya was of course the worst offender! Their Kit Servo Savers (except possibly the High Torque SS), are STILL the worst. But they weren't the only one.... 

I Raced for Team Associated with the RC10 Gold Pan and then the Black "Worlds" Buggy. Steering was slightly better than awful on THOSE too! 

Some Guys were starting to get it. Pan Cars on High Banked Ovals, doing 75-80mph (really fast then!).  Those were really the first that didn't need major overhaul just to be NORMAL! 

At least by the mid to late 90's, when TC Racing got huge, did more People finally realize the virtues of a Front Suspension where EVERY Ball Link wasn't loose. And by then, some Manufacturers finally started putting better, tighter Suspension Components in their Kits. 

Sorry!..... Something triggered that old Memory, and frustration! 😖  The fact that Tamiya TODAY still sells Kits with horrible Suspension and that same CRAP Servo Saver - and PLASTIC BUSHINGS - is appalling. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Carmine A said:

That is really one WELL thought out, dialed in Front Suspension and Steering!! 🍻👍👍  You and I definitely agree on a TIGHT setup that most People either can't understand or wouldn't bother doing. 

I've been setting up RCs in this manner since the mid 80's... I WON Races. And I can promise you NOT because I was the best Driver!! 😜   Some People called me Anal back then... Some thought I was CHEATING!  Most just didn't get it.... 

And I'm NOT going to claim that I INVENTED the concept either!! There were several like me back in the day, who also Raced 1:1 Cars - who quickly saw the disadvantage of your Front End flopping all over the place! 😲  Tamiya was of course the worst offender! Their Kit Servo Savers (except possibly the High Torque SS), are STILL the worst. But they weren't the only one.... 

I Raced for Team Associated with the RC10 Gold Pan and then the Black "Worlds" Buggy. Steering was slightly better than awful on THOSE too! 

Some Guys were starting to get it. Pan Cars on High Banked Ovals, doing 75-80mph (really fast then!).  Those were really the first that didn't need major overhaul just to be NORMAL! 

At least by the mid to late 90's, when TC Racing got huge, did more People finally realize the virtues of a Front Suspension where EVERY Ball Link wasn't loose. And by then, some Manufacturers finally started putting better, tighter Suspension Components in their Kits. 

Sorry!..... Something triggered that old Memory, and frustration! 😖  The fact that Tamiya TODAY still sells Kits with horrible Suspension and that same CRAP Servo Saver - and PLASTIC BUSHINGS - is appalling. 

I totally get your point. Some people would insist that they don't need any upgrades because just use them in the backyard and justify that upgrades aren't necessary in general. I'm not even going to argue on that. But to tell me that upgrades aren't necessary for precision builds is just plain silly. As one member obviously sounded sarcastic, but hey he can buy all the kits he wants and leave them as is, as if I care. I'd rather have a handful of kits that are built according to my liking than seeing regular stock ones in numbers dancing like crazy when you drive them because of the slops. Quality over quantity to me is definitely better. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

....... I'd rather have a handful of kits that are built according to my liking than seeing regular stock ones on numbers dancing like crazy when you drive them because of the slops. Quality over quantity to me is definitely better. ;) 

Quality over quantity - yes indeed!! 👍👍  I didn't intend to write a History Lesson. 😲  It just came out! I've gotten MUCH older, and the small minded People no longer bother me. 

Like you, I'm not content with out of the Box mediocrity. I may have run out of Money... But I still know how to improve these Cars!! I just have to be far more creative now. That in itself has taught me an invaluable skill. 

If you've seen my TT-02 Build Thread, I've got maybe THREE aftermarket parts on it... But I'd bet it's as tight or TIGHTER than any TRF!! 😜

• Like 2