Nicadraus

XV-01RS - C/F Special

On 10/14/2020 at 8:33 AM, Nicadraus said:

Thank you for the appreciation and suggestions. :)

But I like the way my XV drives according to how I set it up and suits my driving style. I also like the fenders as it protect from direct stones and dirt. I've set this mainly as a parking lot (tarmac) and dirt track rally car. I have a few on-road cars for asphalt which I use when I occasionally go to the local on-road track.

Hope you can share your XV too. ;)

My (re) build thread is around here somewhere....

I'll bump it if I can find it. I'm using a high torque servo saver with an extra spring to give me some front end protection (broke arms and steering arms with an aluminum horn), and I'll install the fenders if it's muddy. I made them wider and longer with sheet styrene and duct tape.

• Like 1

Helping my friend build and modify his XV-01. He ordered these CF parts and installed them. I'll tidy the wiring as soon as the build is complete.

SZnJO7qh.jpg

n9lsk71h.jpg

IkSuFp7h.jpg

icQianDh.jpg

Trio XV!

5XyHoLZh.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Helping my friend build and modify his XV-01. He ordered these CF parts and installed them. I'll tidy the wiring as soon as the build is complete.

Those CF parts look nice. Your friend ordered them? Meaning he ordered them to be custom-made or are these mass-produced items you can order in a shop? Who makes them and where can you order them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FuzzyFlynn said:

Those CF parts look nice. Your friend ordered them? Meaning he ordered them to be custom-made or are these mass-produced items you can order in a shop? Who makes them and where can you order them?

He ordered those from Aliexpress. The brand is TPRC.

Ha6835e4421094e7385e326930eee15c3g.jpg_q50.jpg

H3b1f4cb934a046a38dd9d2b1c5a54254Q.jpg_q50.jpg

H1b72e6dffd9544e999000f8a978cf9b3B.jpg_q50.jpg

RC-Radio-control-car-TP-TAMIYA-XV01-carbon-fiber-motor-mount-option-upgrade-parts.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webps-l300.jpg

• Like 2

Hey @Nicadraus, I see you are using a Sanwa receiver with integrated antenna. Does it work properly inside the XV-01 electronics box? No reception issues with the signal being blocked by the box or nearby battery?

By the way, I ordered TPRC bumper brace. I like it. Thanks for the hint! :-)

6 hours ago, FuzzyFlynn said:

Hey @Nicadraus, I see you are using a Sanwa receiver with integrated antenna. Does it work properly inside the XV-01 electronics box? No reception issues with the signal being blocked by the box or nearby battery?

By the way, I ordered TPRC bumper brace. I like it. Thanks for the hint! :-)

The wireless Sanwa RX482 is great. I have two of them, one for the XV01 and another for the FF-03 Pro-R. Very responsive and long range even when inside the case. Then I also got a generic one which I installed in the CFX. AFRC RXS2482 works great for half the price of the Sanwa.

eafe9f45984c55ffe0bbe1a3838fff46.jpg

• Like 1

Boost and turbo enabled

Qai6TMBh.jpg

30q3Pukh.jpg

PT32Ok6h.jpg

LQG1a1Sh.jpg

OTpded3h.jpg

EBFNGHph.jpg

erHMMXMh.jpg

Brushed is fun. Brushless is more fun!

• Like 7

Hi @Nicadraus

Are either you or your buddy running GF-01 dampers with TRF201 front springs?

I got this setup but it feels incredibly soft. I've only run on a hard surface so far, but it leaned a lot in the corners. Looked very realistic - and I'm not a racer - but are there stiffer springs available? Or is this body roll a normal thing? There's no signs it bottomed-out at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Hi @Nicadraus

I got this setup but it feels incredibly soft. I've only run on a hard surface so far, but it leaned a lot in the corners. Looked very realistic - and I'm not a racer - but are there stiffer springs available? Or is this body roll a normal thing? There's no signs it bottomed-out at all.

My experience isn't on XV01, but on my TRF201 dervied rally car. I find it surprising the TRF201 springs are recommended. They are incredibly soft. They were too soft for the TRF201 to be honest! The TRF501 front spring set is better, but i am currently running my RR03 (what i call my TRF201 hack rally thing) on the 53163 road/rally springs. I bought them by mistake for my touring car (i actually needed 53440 hard springs which confusingly are the same colours despite being over twice as stiff), and they work great for rally in higher grip situations. Still plenty of roll, but the masses are controlled better. Hope that helps. I'm sure @Nicadraus will chim in though. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Hi @Nicadraus

My friend who uses the GF-01 damper, uses the stock springs of the CVA supplied in the kit for both front and rear. Using soft springs in front is not advisable because the XV-01 is front heavy. In my kit, I'm using the Yeah Racing shock gear 60mm set and used the supplied medium springs for both front and rear. These dampers work really great.

• Like 2

XV-01 spring choice really depends on the surface you're running on, the intended speeds, and if you're using swaybars. Most of the guys in our club are using very soft drift springs on the dirt courses where the car might hit 20mph or so with big power. Obviously, as grip and speeds come up, and surfaces get smoother, the springs have to get stiffer to maintain control. A car running on rough tarmac needs stiffer springs than one running on bumpy dirt.

The XV that I race with is incredibly good on the dirt, and awful on carpet with 30wt, soft Tamiya rally springs, and two-hole Yeah V pistons, for example. The "kit" setup with the GF-01 dampers/two-hole TRF pistons and 35wt oil is pretty good all around with a medium front and heavy rear sway bar. If the rear seems a little unsettled, drop the rear oil in 2.5wt increments until it mellows out.

• Like 2

Added bullets (cut to 3mm) soldered to the motor pegs to make it look cleaner.

OFyHkX3.jpg

roMXgTK.jpg

qxjeQka.jpg

THnjd7M.jpg

• Like 4

@Nicadraus resurrecting this awesome thread. I thought I would ask you about how you ended up gearing the car with a 21.5. Thank you :) Now don't open the gear box just for me ;) 

22 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

@Nicadraus resurrecting this awesome thread. I thought I would ask you about how you ended up gearing the car with a 21.5. Thank you :) Now don't open the gear box just for me ;) 

I have replaced the spur (77t) and pinion (26t) to true 48p. Feels and sounds smoother than the stock ones.

lV3Ybx6h.jpg

MyBj6u5h.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you sir! I see you did have to gear it pretty tall as expected. So which would be your best pick for rally driving (and the taller rally block tires) between a 17.5 and a 21.5? I wish to stay with the 06 module for now.

9 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Thank you sir! I see you did have to gear it pretty tall as expected. So which would be your best pick for rally driving (and the taller rally block tires) between a 17.5 and a 21.5? I wish to stay with the 06 module for now.

Either the 17.5t and 21.5t really works great with the XV-01. Not too fast to make it unrealistic but fast enough than stock silver can or torque tuned motors. For dirt rallying, I think the 21.5 is perfect. But for gravel and paved surface, the 17.5 would be better.

• Thanks 1

Late to the party seeing this build, but WOW...that's some of the cleanest wiring i've seen on any build. Very inspiring. @Nicadraus, where do you get the braided sheathing with the color striping? Also, those 3-wire clamps you use for the brushless motor wiring, are great. You've definitely inspired me to give more attention to the wiring/electronics in my builds. So, Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EsotericRC said:

Late to the party seeing this build, but WOW...that's some of the cleanest wiring i've seen on any build. Very inspiring. @Nicadraus, where do you get the braided sheathing with the color striping? Also, those 3-wire clamps you use for the brushless motor wiring, are great. You've definitely inspired me to give more attention to the wiring/electronics in my builds. So, Thanks!

Thanks for the appreciation bud. :)

After last week's rallycross event, I realized I need a faster servo for this car. 

So I ordered the Power HD R12. Specs are identical to my Power HD L-12HV installed in my FF-03 Pro-R. Although the later has an all aluminum casing while the R12's top case is plastic but the rest of the body is also aluminum.

TCiErCch.jpg

MzfcnDfh.jpg

Oqrp5Pyh.jpg

A bit smaller than the SPT 4412 servo

phBP1uMh.jpg

jQCyNu0h.jpg

Another thing I like with low-pro servos by Power HD is that they have short cables and no need for me to shorten and re-solder.

Here's a video:

• Like 3

Newly re-built and cleaned. Including diffs, shocks and bearings. New shoes too.

IpagGLGh.jpg

nnAlyfYh.jpg

zNSSbQbh.jpg

TYYFtSsh.jpg

• Like 9