Nicadraus

XV-01RS - C/F Special

On 6/21/2023 at 3:07 AM, Grumpy pants said:

Your wiring is so superbly set out ūüĎŹ

Thank you! :)

• Like 1

I finally had the time to tinker and work on my new Celica ST185 body (purchased last April) and my cockpit (purchased last month).

pttDfngh.jpg

e6grOkDh.jpg

tuPfvwlh.jpg

WrkSfZph.jpg

Will still work on the helmets/heads and the Celica body probably this coming weekend.

• Like 6

Mixed some acrylic paints and hand painted the head details of the rally cockpit and Wild One driver.

g0CrRCSh.jpg

Mixed white, brown and yellow for the flesh tone.

oqo3ms3h.jpg

lThwG74h.jpg

N6PxHhFh.jpg

mPDXUndh.jpg

Pwond6Zh.jpg

XMM11NGh.jpg

MayPiGwh.jpg

7d4ULBIh.jpg

Next is fabricating the rollbar/cage for the cockpit.

• Like 6

Today I continued working on the cockpit and began on the Celica ST185 WRC body.

Fabricating the roll bar/cage. USed hard plastic ballon straws.

3kneGgGh.jpg

Cut some toothpick for wooden pegs

2L2m0zAh.jpg

Inserted and glued the pegs at the end of the straws.

c3qlLLAh.jpg

autcK0lh.jpg

JPN1dquh.jpg

Holes for the pegs.

1dyS40mh.jpg

jQEk4PNh.jpg

An hour later...

4jeGFYch.jpg

OT9vQoEh.jpg

Test fitting...

Qt8LAS6h.jpg

1nQSX6ph.jpg

Now for the body. Cut and reamed the body post holes.

55poTQrh.jpg

Masked the windows.

hH6LkFKh.jpg

Finished a can and a quarter for thicker finish

fPsuoUlh.jpg

Installed light buckets for the headlights. Will also make for the tail lights.

B3DTQegh.jpg

JyMNZUnh.jpg

Applying the decals.

quUS1wsh.jpg

Test fit with the cockpit

wEK65Tth.jpg

dnm6Fglh.jpg

To be continued tomorrow...

• Like 11

Looking good. I have a couple of cockpit sets I need to get around to painting; it's one of those things I tend to keep putting off!

White bodies always come with that difficulty of whether you do body lines or not, and if you do; how you go about it. What's your plan?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Looking good. I have a couple of cockpit sets I need to get around to painting; it's one of those things I tend to keep putting off!

White bodies always come with that difficulty of whether you do body lines or not, and if you do; how you go about it. What's your plan?

Here's what I used. Sadly, this isn't available at our local hobby shops. So I bought this in HK during my trip last month. Bought two sets.

6Drmrc9h.jpg

vWBvpvih.jpg

XRwTFMjh.jpg

Cockpit on chassis.

mBdPT1mh.jpg

• Like 5

Finally done with the Celica. Of course new OZ Racing wheels too to match the body.

prK5B2Wh.jpg

CB8FX2qh.jpg

f2hfVvOh.jpg

Together with the Corolla WRC.

xnAL1iDh.jpg

LDct2OAh.jpg

jaL9OLKh.jpg

pM6qNngh.jpg

7cGAthGh.jpg

• Like 12

Oh wow, what a pair.

....needs a Castrol Supra next!

I actually have a couple of those sticker sheets which I bought on release; just before I took a break from the hobby. Are they easy to work with? I've tried using Kyosho line tape in the past (allegedly the best around) but struggled to get it to stay put, especially around curves.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Oh wow, what a pair.

....needs a Castrol Supra next!

I actually have a couple of those sticker sheets which I bought on release; just before I took a break from the hobby. Are they easy to work with? I've tried using Kyosho line tape in the past (allegedly the best around) but struggled to get it to stay put, especially around curves.

Thanks Chris! :)

The Tamiya panel strips are quite easy to work with and they stick well. For round corners, I did some small cuts on the side to be able to bend them properly without having bubble issues or peeling. I've also used the Kyosho strip tape back in the 90s and It gets crooked everytime it's being touched accidentally when holding the body.

16 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

A fantastic pair, beautifully finished ūüĎŹ

Thank you! :)

• Like 1

So I finally got the carbon fiber upgrades for the upper suspension mounts (front & rear) and steering arms brace.

coqqhIZh.jpg

Y65Mw3Rh.jpg

Uso8fHFh.jpg

Cleaned up the steering set before installation.

bRmvxlVh.jpg

Front installed

3rb8rpAh.jpg

ikTxpVIh.jpg

and for the rear

Iqlqgb8h.jpg

fLm0OMKh.jpg

OHuFiiGh.jpg

Done!

I know it only adds very little to performance as they're lighter and stiffer than the plastic counterparts, but it sure looks d@mn good!

lR6v7Bvh.jpg

m5SiblLh.jpg

mTnPb3zh.jpg

3QcW7ioh.jpg

• Like 7

Kabayan, got the same carbon parts but have not yet installed them.  I was pleasantly surprised on your install update :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robbief said:

Kabayan, got the same carbon parts but have not yet installed them.  I was pleasantly surprised on your install update :D

There's a few tricks on installing the steering brace. You'll need to put the supplied blue 0.5mm spacer on top of the steering bearings before installing the CF brace. Otherwise, the steering arms will have a slop/play. Also, install nuts under the holes of the brace. Apply minimal super glue to hold the nuts in place so they won't fall off once you install the brace.

• Like 1

Actually, I was wondering about the included spacers (2) on where it was supposed to get installed. 

Salamat, kabayan:)

• Like 1

I am immensely jealous of your GT-4 body. It's getting a re-release next year on the TT02 (ugh) and I wondered where you obtained the Castrol decals from? I've looked on MCI's page but can only see them for the ST205 Celica, not the ST185. Did you manage to obtain genuine Tamiya decals? Unfortunately the re-release is a white body :(

I've had those CF upgrades in my AliExpress basket for over a year now, but haven't pulled the trigger (they're not the cheapest!). Do you think they were worth the money?

• Like 1

@Nicadraus I have question to cable braid.

How do you secure end? When I cut it and just touch, it instantly comes loose.

7 hours ago, skom25 said:

@Nicadraus I have question to cable braid.

How do you secure end? When I cut it and just touch, it instantly comes loose.

I use shrink tubes to hold the ends and makes them look neat too. 

Like this...

5eyiZdmh.jpg

I saw that but I thought that you additionally secured ends. I heard about gas lighter, to "glue" fibers.

Thank you!

On 1/16/2024 at 7:50 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

I am immensely jealous of your GT-4 body. It's getting a re-release next year on the TT02 (ugh) and I wondered where you obtained the Castrol decals from? I've looked on MCI's page but can only see them for the ST205 Celica, not the ST185. Did you manage to obtain genuine Tamiya decals? Unfortunately the re-release is a white body :(

The stickers (someone will get p!ssed if we mention decal :D) came with the body. This is made by Team C by the way.

On 1/16/2024 at 7:50 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

I've had those CF upgrades in my AliExpress basket for over a year now, but haven't pulled the trigger (they're not the cheapest!). Do you think they were worth the money?

Yup to me it's worth it. While it's minimal addition to the performance, it made the upper suspension mounts stiffer and weight is lighter than the plastic counterparts. Plus of course the looks. CF parts adds so much points in the bling department. :lol:

On 1/17/2024 at 4:58 AM, skom25 said:

I saw that but I thought that you additionally secured ends. I heard about gas lighter, to "glue" fibers.

Thank you!

Yes you can burn the ends to bond the braided tips using a lighter. Then secure with shrink tubes.

• Like 1

I still have a few unpainted bodies kept. Corolla WRC, Subaru WRX Sti, Mustang 350GT Bulit, Fiat Abarth 131 and this Celica ST165 that I work on today. I stayed away from box art and conventional finsihes like the Repsol and Marlboro. So I did my own scheme.

7AnNqtDh.jpg

This magnetic body post guide is very effective.

S79MAuuh.jpg

GBHbgx3h.jpg

k9V3PuDh.jpg

0yibZNvh.jpg

XgX14ySh.jpg

LD5AqQnh.jpg

F7hdpXAh.jpg

Masking.

All black areas

Surdgb4h.jpg

6VwmKLWh.jpg

Love this spray can holder/sprayer.

qou0dALh.jpg

Masking for the red areas

XS5efCkh.jpg

akwsbhPh.jpg

ZSCrYhih.jpg

HKiIhp6h.jpg

M70nFxqh.jpg

QJ5qGnih.jpg

jqukowYh.jpg

Finished. I re-arranged the decals (Oops someone might call me out for not saying "stickers" :D). Added Castrol as its theme.

AlcN8gnh.jpg

UXry6PAh.jpg

HazVSach.jpg

This one is definitely NOT for you @Yoshimitsu :lol:

• Like 5

That's a seriously good looking body. Not that the Lancia was that much less good looking,  but it must be nice to have the opportunity to switch between two nice rally classics on that competent chassis. 

PS: Which tyres are you on?

• Thanks 1