@Saito2 – There no need for an apology, I didn’t know what I was asking, I’ve seen them called crush sleeve somewhere but know I now they’re also called crush tubes... I’ve enjoyed the discussion and the outcome was I managed to achieve what I set out and not accept the wheel wobble, not destroy another 8 bearings instantly and not put the shims away in a place where I cannot see them.

Now I need to somehow shim a new gearbox / chassis that’s screwed all round, how am I going to check play in that?! I’m thinking a long piece of bent wire through the motor hole pushing a pulling, checking each gear individually...

Thank you @Saito2 , @Lee76 & @Matty36 for your time and effort 👍

I dont know why they are called crush tubes, but without them fitted it ruined bearings, so should be in every kit. I have had 20 years of trying different things on a race track, and have learnt along the way. There are no need for apologies about anything, as long as at the end of the day something is learnt, that's why I'm on here, as I have learnt quite a bit of info about my tamiya while trying to rebuild it.