8 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

58686 VQS (2020) (Vanquish)

Really Mokei? This would be totally awesome!:rolleyes:

Hey nice, spare parts.

I will notify the new owner of my ex vanquish 😂😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Really Mokei? This would be totally awesome!:rolleyes:

Yes, and the recently announced Hi-Cap damper set  (47455) will be named VQS (2020) Hi-Cap Damper Set.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

Is the Vanquish a less expensive, 2wd version of the Avante?

Yes and no! :P It's 4WD, but a lower spec plastic chassis version of the Avante, and thus less expensive.

Just now, Mokei Kagaku said:

Yes and no! :P It's 4WD, but a lower spec plastic chassis version of the Avante, and thus less expensive.

Interesting. not sure I've seen a 4wd model where the front tires were skinnier than the rear tires.  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Yes, and the recently announced Hi-Cap damper set  (47455) will be named VQS (2020) Hi-Cap Damper Set.

That brings even more questions to me, how the kit will be positioned from price: Between Terra Scorcher and Avante maybe?

Will probably use some Avante improved purts as uprights and drive shafts? Maybe even steering set of the black Special?

Great news, so I can get a kit ans spares again for my runner...

4 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

Interesting. not sure I've seen a 4wd model where the front tires were skinnier than the rear tires.  

Hotshot? Egress?...;)

Will have to get one. Now I’m glad I held off on the Terra Scorcher!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

The Hot Shot series has narrower front tires as does the Egress, Top Force, etc. BTW, despite being lower spec, the Vanquish is a superior performer to the Avante.

1 minute ago, ruebiracer said:

how the kit will be positioned from price: Between Terra Scorcher and Avante maybe?

That's my guess. The Vanquish was very close to the price of the Terra Scorcher here in the US BITD. Then again the Super Astute re-release was wildly more expensive than the Top Force re-release and those two were close in price initially in the '90s. Its probably all down to what Tamiya thinks they can get for it and/or how many they can sell. I thought the Bigwig wound up being pretty reasonable.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

The Hot Shot series has narrower front tires as does the Egress, Top Force, etc. BTW, despite being lower spec, the Vanquish is a superior performer to the Avante.

That's my guess. The Vanquish was very close to the price of the Terra Scorcher here in the US BITD. Then again the Super Astute re-release was wildly more expensive than the Top Force re-release and those two were close in price initially in the '90s. Its probably all down to what Tamiya thinks they can get for it and/or how many they can sell. I thought the Bigwig wound up being pretty reasonable.

Hmm guess I never noticed the hot shot series tires.  Also, the Big Wig seems to be one of the only models that hasn't sold out in the US. Not sure why that is...

At least I'll be able to get an affordable chassis for my original - currently in pieces, awaiting restoration.

This is definately going to be a Vanquish and not a Vanquish rip off on a TT02B chassis?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Newsh said:

Will have to get one. Now I’m glad I held off on the Terra Scorcher!

You could pull a Grastens and do your best to get both anyway :P Although I admit I never saw the Vanquish coming back...

2 hours ago, Fruitfly01 said:

This is definately going to be a Vanquish and not a Vanquish rip off on a TT02B chassis?

... Am I the only person who would see some excitement in a Neo Vanquish?

d11.jpg

I mean, this thing is just BRISTLING - it would look fantastic in 1:10! But then, so does the original Vanquish ;)

As an enthusiast who arrived some time after most of Tamiya's most fondly-remembered models, the re-release of the Vanquish provides a wonderful opportunity to get that bit closer to 1980s Tamiya. I will see if I am able to pre-order one...

... and if it is easier to live with than the genuine Avante, then maybe this is the car I really wanted all along!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Fruitfly01 said:

Good and legitimate question, but I consider it highly unlikely that it's anything but a true re-release. The 47455 Hi-Cap Damper Set that was announced a bit earlier, will actually be named "VQS (2020) Hi-Cap Damper Set". I think Hi-Caps would be an unlikely choice as a hop-up damper set for a TT02B-based (Neo) VQS. Still, it will be reassuring to see the first photo from Tamiya and/or the price. A "low" price would indicate the TT02B (or similar), whereas a "high" price would indicate the Avante-series chassis. 

If Avante-series, as I expect, it will be interesting to see if Tamiya goes for the Vanquish's original plastic chassis or FRP (Avante 2001). Rather than pulling the old molds for the Vanquish chassis out and revive them after roughly 30 years in storage or even worse, making new tooling just for one model, it just might be more economical for Tamiya to include an FRP chassis instead. Of course the plastic chassis would be better for the nostalgia, but on the other hand, an FRP chassis could be considered an "included hop-up part" and as such an advantage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

f Avante-series, as I expect, it will be interesting to see if Tamiya goes for the Vanquish's original plastic chassis or FRP (Avante 2001). Rather than pulling the old molds for the Vanquish chassis out and revive them after roughly 30 years in storage or even worse, making new tooling just for one model, it just might be more economical for Tamiya to include an FRP chassis instead. Of course the plastic chassis would be better for the nostalgia, but on the other hand, an FRP chassis could be considered an "included hop-up part" and as such an advantage.

Very interesting point and one I never considered. Tamiya did upgrade the Avante to carbon so I could see them upgrading the Vanquish to FRP. If they did, I question if they would develop an undertray for the Vanquish body as they usually do for their carbon/FRP chassis buggies. The other consideration is, does an FRP chassis possibility leave the door open for an Avante 2001 rereleases as well in the future?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Good and legitimate question, but I consider it highly unlikely that it's anything but a true re-release. The 47455 Hi-Cap Damper Set that was announced a bit earlier, will actually be named "VQS (2020) Hi-Cap Damper Set". I think Hi-Caps would be an unlikely choice as a hop-up damper set for a TT02B-based (Neo) VQS. Still, it will be reassuring to see the first photo from Tamiya and/or the price. A "low" price would indicate the TT02B (or similar), whereas a "high" price would indicate the Avante-series chassis. 

If Avante-series, as I expect, it will be interesting to see if Tamiya goes for the Vanquish's original plastic chassis or FRP (Avante 2001). Rather than pulling the old molds for the Vanquish chassis out and revive them after roughly 30 years in storage or even worse, making new tooling just for one model, it just might be more economical for Tamiya to include an FRP chassis instead. Of course the plastic chassis would be better for the nostalgia, but on the other hand, an FRP chassis could be considered an "included hop-up part" and as such an advantage.

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Very interesting point and one I never considered. Tamiya did upgrade the Avante to carbon so I could see them upgrading the Vanquish to FRP. If they did, I question if they would develop an undertray for the Vanquish body as they usually do for their carbon/FRP chassis buggies. The other consideration is, does an FRP chassis possibility leave the door open for an Avante 2001 rereleases as well in the future?

They did dust off the Fox chassis moulds for a 1 run model, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they did the same here

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

They did dust off the Fox chassis moulds for a 1 run model, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they did the same here

Good point, but then again, for the Fox they didn't have an existing alternative.  Still, my totally unqualified guess is that the VQS will get the plastic chassis.

• Like 2

I am really happy to see this, I would really be hoping for a plastic tub chassis, it's just a rebadged rere Avante with plastic shocks then!

I'm hoping it doesn't carry an Egress/Avante price tag. I am hoping for mid 200's so I can have a shot at owning one. 

Fingers crossed it tanks the price of originals and ups the second hand market too, might be cool to pick one up for restoration that way now there's a spares market. 

ahhhh, awesome news. this is the one i really wanted as a kid. great to see it back finally.

Would be nice to see it fairly honest to the original tbh, the plastic chassis is an integral part of the car

I bet the price will be just north of the Terra Scorcher and below the Avante. It's lucky we are getting the Avante still or Tamiya would probably price them the same!

• Like 2

The first price indication is out. The Swiss Tamiya distributor has stated a suggested retail price of CHF499.00, which is suprisingly steep considering that their suggested retail price for the Avante is CHF549.00 and CHF289.00 for the Terra Scorcher. That means the VQS price will be 91% of the Avante and 173% of the Terra Scorcher if the price stays aa currently indicated.

Considering that Hi-Cap dampers will be offered as an hop-up and full ball bearings will probably be included, I strongly believe that there must be some other changes to the original Vanquish specification to justiify the high price. FRP chassis instead of plastic tub chassis? Front universals? Under tray?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Argh.... price strongly suggests an frp chassis. It would be bad news for those of us waiting for some new shock towers or other specific plastic parts to restore our vintage models.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, didcos said:

Argh.... price strongly suggests an frp chassis.

or they're just gonna gouge us on the price like the Super Astute when it first came out. On the other hand, I found the Terra Scorcher with its full ball bearing and turnbuckles to be quite reasonable. Never know with Tamiya.

• Like 2