Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

54 minutes ago, graemevw said:

The vanquish rere was mentioned by the new Zealand distributor back in December last year. The pricing may be corona related, but this rere was planned before all this kicked off.

Yes, somehow the information filtered, which is rather unusual with tamiya.

Just for info, the last time I bought one (1990?), it was £135 when thundershot was about £100. If the re-re is under £200 I'd seriously think about one. :)

Don’t forget guys, this car is basically an egress with plastic chassis so I think it is worth a bit more than others. Egress price minus the difference between carbon And hi caps. That’s if it is a proper reproduction 
 Do the recommended  rrp always come down a bit after launch?. This car was quite rare back in the day but Personally this car has a lot of Nostalgia for me as I swapped a mint new build vanquish with radio and charger in a beatties bag  ( A model shop in reading) for my sega  master system When I was a kid so it was my first new rc car. 
I can’t remember what happened to it unfortunately. Probably swapped for a bmx or something. 
  As stated they may well have to make new tooling etc and all this during covid!?. I won’t begrudge them any extra £100 for the happiness it will bring me personally but if you do not have an affinity with the car I can see your points. 

58 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Just for info, the last time I bought one (1990?), it was £135 when thundershot was about £100. If the re-re is under £200 I'd seriously think about one. :)

ThAt seems a good price!? That must have been kit only. I believe a hornet  was nearly that price at my model shop but it was a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, didcos said:

Yes, somehow the information filtered, which is rather unusual with tamiya.

It was a model shop who asked the question on FB, saying that the distributor had asked for feedback about it, so it wasn't like it was being kept a secret back then?

Or maybe the shop made a mistake and wasn't supposed to publicise it?

Either way, this one is interesting for me since its a budget Avante/Egress, and I had the 4wd mini back as a kid, but I think I'm about maxed out for cars now.  I have all the ones I want, so any new ones will be for the build only.  I guess this could fit if it was cheap enough, but I doubt it will be.

10 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Nothing to add! So true. I really think prices of the dealers will be between Avante and Terra Scorcher. For my feeling it will have all parts of the Avnte drive train and the better uprights, so this increases the price over the Terra Scorcher, but it will remain it´s plastics specs, which define sthe Vanquish. It made this platform available to me as a kid, as my parents were o.k. with the price of the Vanquish 1989, Avante was just too much.

For me feeling, the Swiss price isn´t true, it just doesn´t fit in the picture. (at least I hope it).:D

I can assure you that the price of the Swiss distributor is correct at least from a Swiss point of view, but a comparison to the price of the Avante is completely meaningless.
Firstly, because every importer has a free hand in pricing, and secondly, I would consider the following: the Avante appears in the felt 13th reissue while the Vanquish is reissued for the first time.
So every importer can decide for himself if he wants to create an introductory promotion or a special price or whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scoobybooster said:

I can assure you that the price of the Swiss distributor is correct at least from a Swiss point of view, but a comparison to the price of the Avante is completely meaningless.
Firstly, because every importer has a free hand in pricing, and secondly, I would consider the following: the Avante appears in the felt 13th reissue while the Vanquish is reissued for the first time.
So every importer can decide for himself if he wants to create an introductory promotion or a special price or whatever.

I see your points and most were known to me, but the CHF499 price tag for the VQS still spurs some very valid questions, I believe.

Considering that the 5 re-releases of the Avante have more or less saturated the market, a comparison with the Avante's current price might not be fair. So let's take the Terra Scorcher for comparison instead.  Like the VQS, it's a first re-release on a chassis type that has been re-released in several other versions before, and when the Terra Scorcher and Vanquish were originally released at almost the same time, they were priced roughly the same. I don't remember exactly, but as far as I can recall, about 10-20% apart. 

And now the Terra Scorcher and Vanquish are released just a few months apart and the prices are wildy different at CHF289 vs. CHF499.  This would seem pretty strange unless the spec of the re-release Vanquish is a lot higher than that of the original. Being 2020, I reckon full ball bearings are included now, but that hardly justifies a price 70%+ above the Terra Scorcher? I sincerely hope there's something more.

Of course Tamiya, the distributors and the shops are free to ask any price they want, and if people are happy to pay that price, everything's fine. It would just seem as very poor value for money to pay roughly 70% more for the VQS than the Terra Scorcher with about the same specs as the originals when the originals were so similarly priced.  

Either way, unless Tamiya has upped the spec of the VQS massively over the original, I personally think a price at 90% of the Avante, 170%+ of the Terra Scorcher and 250%+ of the TT-02B is way too high.

Edit: Original prices:

Terra Scorcher: JPY 22.000     /     Vanquish: JPY 24.000

• Like 1

CHF289 for the Terra Scorcher is about £240 in the UK. I can buy a Terra Scorcher for £189 at my local shop, so the Vanquish at CHF499, which is about £420 in the UK is likely to be much less.

The UK price of the Terra Scorcher is about 78% less than the Swiss price so this means the Vanquish would be about £330, which seems realistic to me. 

Hopefully my maths is not complete rubbish. Cheers. 

33 minutes ago, Hairyjon313 said:

CHF289 for the Terra Scorcher is about £240 in the UK. I can buy a Terra Scorcher for £189 at my local shop, so the Vanquish at CHF499, which is about £420 in the UK is likely to be much less.

The UK price of the Terra Scorcher is about 78% less than the Swiss price so this means the Vanquish would be about £330, which seems realistic to me. 

Hopefully my maths is not complete rubbish. Cheers. 

Seems right to me! Still, it would mean a suggested retail price of about GBP390 and 70%+ above the Terra Scorcher. A lot compared to the 10% price difference between the original releases. 

I simply can't imagine that the VQS doesn't include some significant additional goodies (compared to the original release) to justify the enormous difference. 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 11:41 PM, GTodd said:

And let them! They will sell. And I'll buy one! 

Now if only they'd turn back on the DB01RRR line and/or the TRF503 as well!

constructive

The reason for the high price:  Tamiya had so many left over Vajra's that they decided to make the Vanquish based on that chassis. :lol:

• Haha 1

I know a lot of people are complaining about the (potential) price but I guarantee there will be plenty of VQS on Tamiyaclub when the time comes!

If we work from the assumption that they are re-making the chassis tub moulds, that is a significant investment for what would probably be a small run of cars. So not that surprising if the price is high.

Without the tub - it's not a Vanquish. Tamiya would be crazy to release it with an FRP chassis IMHO.

These are collectibles after all. There are no competitors in the market. Normal pricing logic doesn't apply.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sosidge said:

I know a lot of people are complaining about the (potential) price but I guarantee there will be plenty of VQS on Tamiyaclub when the time comes!

If we work from the assumption that they are re-making the chassis tub moulds, that is a significant investment for what would probably be a small run of cars. So not that surprising if the price is high.

Without the tub - it's not a Vanquish. Tamiya would be crazy to release it with an FRP chassis IMHO.

These are collectibles after all. There are no competitors in the market. Normal pricing logic doesn't apply.

Why would they have to remake the moulds?  I'm sure they still have the originals like they have with most of their re releases. They may need to modify them slightly but that's no Biggie

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, slimleeroy said:

Why would they have to remake the moulds?  I'm sure they still have the originals like they have with most of their re releases. They may need to modify them slightly but that's no Biggie

Whether they have to remake the moulds for the plastic chassis or not, is something I don't have any opinion about and certainly no knowledge.

However, considering that production originally ended in 1992, we are talking about moulds that have been in storage for almost 30 years. I have very little knowledge about plastic injection moulding, but I work for an automotive OEM supplier with the majority of products being plastic parts the company manufactures inhouse. I'm in the battery systems niche of the company, but I pick up a little from my "plastic colleagues" and can promise that setting up moulds that have been in storage even for just a few years and stored under ideal conditions, definitely isn't a small undertaking.

Even if the moulds shouldn't have any corrosion, wear or damage to fix (unlikely after such a long time), the cost and effort required are substantial. In fact to such an extent that it might be cheaper for Tamiya to include a full FRP-chassis instead of the plastic chassis, which combined with the indicated price, is why I'm not so convinced that the re-release will get the plastic chassis of the original.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sosidge said:

No doubt! :) I may even end up "guilty" myself.

Sure, but the Fox is the only model in its series and apart from the shocks, virtually all parts are unique and not shared with any other model, and of course it's a less complex model than the VQS, but Tamiya managed to keep the price at a level consistent with the original release.

Admittedly, Tamiya may expect to sell a lot less of the VQS than the Novafox as the latter doesn't have any competition from similar models, whereas potential VQS customers may opt for the Egress or Avante instead or already have one of them and decide not to add the relatively similar VQS to the collection. Indeed, with the price currently indicated, Tamiya may even create a self-fullfilling prophecy and end up selling a lot fewer than they possibly would have if the price had been on a level comparable to the original release! (Terra Scorcher-level).

Fully agree, but the price still puzzles me. A relative 60% over the price it would have had if it was equally more expensive than the re-re Terra Scorcher as the Vanquish was compared to the original Terra Scorcher, would mean paying GBP150 for the the plastic tub alone! There's got to be something more, or so I hope! :blink:

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

constructive

Odd! I have an opinion, and further details. How is it not?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While you guys debate the chassis material, I am wondering why they are calling it VQS. Does this have something to do with the fact that Aston Martin trademarked Vanquish?

I do agree, if this doesn't have the plastic chassis, CVA shocks and white wheels, its not a Vanquish. If the decals are some goofball oddity, we can always get some good ones from MCI Racing.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LS7Heli said:

While you guys debate the chassis material, I am wondering why they are calling it VQS. Does this have something to do with the fact that Aston Martin trademarked Vanquish?

I do agree, if this doesn't have the plastic chassis, CVA shocks and white wheels, its not a Vanquish. If the decals are some goofball oddity, we can always get some good ones from MCI Racing.....

As vanquish is purely a word, I don't think aston could trademark it and stop others using is. Especially as it's already a tamiya product.

Many other companies trading with that name too.

You may have trouble building and selling a high quality gt 1:1 car called vanquish but doubt they could do anything about anything else.

It is odd tamiya have down that though, maybe purely because the mini 4x4 is called vqs, and tamiya just wanted to differentiate it from the original, like nova fox etc.

2 hours ago, LS7Heli said:

While you guys debate the chassis material, I am wondering why they are calling it VQS.

Because it's easier to text :D

Probably a DF03 VQS that looks like the 1/32 Mini4wd VQS with  bulky “ shark gills” at the side.  😄
I derived this presumption from the previous experience a decade ago when Tamiya launched the DF03 Avante MK2.

Their target market - mini4wd f ans of VQS. And maybe just like the Avante MK2 timeline, it was then followed by the real Avante launch a year or 2 later 😄.

That”s why it’s called Vanquish (2020) VQS 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 12:55 AM, xray mark said:

ThAt seems a good price!? That must have been kit only. I believe a hornet  was nearly that price at my model shop but it was a long time ago. 

Yeah, they were both kit only. At the time I was still at school, so it was a case of sell one car as a rolling chassis to finance the purchase of the next one, and keep on recycling the radio gear into the next kit.

On 7/27/2020 at 3:32 PM, Mokei Kagaku said:

58686 VQS (2020) (Vanquish)

If this is how the info was released, I have a bad feeling the buggy and box will say "VQS"  on it instead of Vanquish. Normally I don't care too much about the renaming bit but this is bothersome if that's the case. The Vanquish is almost Avante-like special. How would we have felt if they messed with the name Avante or Egress? The fact its written "VQS" with Vanquish in parenthesis tells me its going to be a real re-release of the Vanquish chassis but we better get used to the new goofy name. Nobody knows what a VQS is (sounds like a planet from the G1 Transfomers comic) so they had to let us know its actually going to be a Vanquish. Hope I'm wrong. 

My guess is that Aston Martin has secured the rights to the Vanquish name and that's why the thing is called VQS?
But that's just my guess...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, graemevw said:

As vanquish is purely a word, I don't think aston could trademark it and stop others using is. Especially as it's already a tamiya product.

Many other companies trading with that name too.

You may have trouble building and selling a high quality gt 1:1 car called vanquish but doubt they could do anything about anything else.

It is odd tamiya have down that though, maybe purely because the mini 4x4 is called vqs, and tamiya just wanted to differentiate it from the original, like nova fox etc.

Fox is just a word aswell however tamiya changed the name of that model potentially because of fox Motorsport products (I could be wrong though🙈)

As long as Tamiya made the car model before the name was trademarked they can still use it. They can show that the name was in use previously.