Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

More details today. Plastic tub, pre-cut and painted body, aluminium uprights and universal shafts from Avante 2011, gear diffs. Pricing still seems a bit steep to me if this is the spec. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

More details today. Plastic tub, pre-cut and painted body, aluminium uprights and universal shafts from Avante 2011, gear diffs. Pricing still seems a bit steep to me if this is the spec. 

yeah, can't say i'm unhappy with the additions, but the choice of a prepainted shell is interesting.

From Tamiyabase:

The Vanquish (Item 58076) is a legendary buggy from our R/C back catalogue, and now makes a much-anticipated
return as a re-issue named the VQS, with tweaks to bring it into the modern day. We have saved owners some
work, too, with a pre-cut and pre-painted body that means you’ll be able to get driving that little bit quicker!

• This is a 1/10 scale R/C model assembly kit.
• The classic form of the buggy is captured in lightweight and durable polycarbonate, pre-painted and cut, with holes already made. Stickers are based upon those in the original and just require application to complete the body.
• A bathtub chassis provides a really solid base for the model that lets you enjoy thrilling off-road rides without undue worry.
• Highly rigid aluminium front uprights and efficient universal shafts are designs inherited from the 2011 reissue of the Avante (Item 58489).
• The smooth drivetrain employs the planetary gear differential units from the original Avante.
• ESC & Type 540 motor included.

9 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

And a late October release date (for the UK at least)

PRE PAINTED!!!

What's that about? Hardly a beginner's car, not at the price it's going to be.

Will be interesting to see how they have painted it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I wonder if they want to charge more to keep the price of this family of cars high and so they figured they would pre cut and pre paint the body to try and up it's worth?

This wants to be £250 tops in my opinion.

I also don't like the sound of the decals being 'based' on the originals, maybe they will be like the mini vqs?

Thinking about it, this looks great

d9.jpg

I've changed my mind. Would be cool if they have done something different and given us an rc version of this but on the original chassis.

If they haven't, considering I have an original, I'm building a 1/10 neo vqs and dyeing those white wheels red :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, graemevw said:

I wonder if they want to charge more to keep the price of this family of cars high and so they figured they would pre cut and pre paint the body to try and up it's worth?

For the M-chassis VW T1, the pre-cut and pre-painted body added roughly 10% to the price. I don't know how Tamiya masks the windows of their pre-painted bodies, but having two colours and a lot of windows and being a high body that makes accessing areas to mask a bit harder, the T1 body is very likely not among the bodies that cause the lowest cost for painting for Tamiya. 

Of course it can be argued that a pre-cut and pre-painted body adds significantly more to the value of a kit than adds in cost for Tamiya, but any price more than 20-30% above the price for the Terra Scorcher seems excessive to me if the spec known so far is all and correct.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

For the M-chassis VW T1, the pre-cut and pre-painted body added roughly 10% to the price. I don't know how Tamiya masks the windows of their pre-painted bodies, but having two colours and a lot of windows and being a high body that makes accessing areas to mask a bit harder, the T1 body is very likely not among the bodies that cause the lowest cost for painting for Tamiya. 

Of course it can be argued that a pre-cut and pre-painted body adds significantly more to the value of a kit than adds in cost for Tamiya, but any price more than 20-30% above the price for the Terra Scorcher seems excessive to me if the spec known so far is all and correct.

Those of us that enjoy doing the body just end up paying more money for less fun :(

Harder to cut, harder to paint and harder to decal the better for me. The body is the best part of the build :)

6 minutes ago, graemevw said:

I also don't like the sound of the decals being based on the originals, maybe they will be like the mini vqs?

The way the decals are described is maybe not exactly the same, but typical for the way Tamiya describes changes to the original decals for a re-re, so I'm not worried. The word "Vanquish" will surely be gone, and a few stickers with "www.tamiya.com" and "caution! Hot" and "Caution! Rotating parts!" and something like that will have been added, but I'm pretty convinced the rest will be very similar to the originals.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Those of us that enjoy doing the body just end up paying more money for less fun :(

Fully agree! :) That's why I wrote "can be argued....."   And I wouldn't be any of those using that argument!  :D

4 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Harder to cut, harder to paint and harder to decal the better for me. The body is the best part of the build :)

Absolutely. In Tamiya's production for pre-painted body and for the bean counters who calculate the cost of painting bodies, I don't think you'll find so many that would agree though!

• Like 1

Shame about pre painted as there are a couple of very minor tweaks to the base design that really improve it such as the colour around and behind the canopy.

Hopefully the will be selling a clear body parts set.

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Shame about pre painted as there are a couple of very minor tweaks to the base design that really improve it such as the colour around and behind the canopy.

Hopefully the will be selling a clear body parts set.

On the Tamiya Legends Facebook page Tony says that the clear body will be available as a spare and that he's taking orders now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GTodd said:

On the Tamiya Legends Facebook page Tony says that the clear body will be available as a spare and that he's taking orders now. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Will an Avante 2001 or Egress body fit on the Vanquish plastic chassis? Could be tempted to buy one as a runner with one of these other bodies on it......

Well for me MCI decals would be a must (I don't do re-re decals) and I sure  as as heck  am not going to put "VQS" on it. 

The purpose of the re-release is to give us a body and R/C model that is as near to the original as possible. Therefore, I really hope that the painting is identical to the original. 

• Like 1

Pre-painted? Well, I used to enjoy bodywork, but current living accommodations make that difficult, so a pre-painted shell would actually be a draw for me at this time. The "bathtub chassis" seems a clear indicator of the return to a plastic chassis over a double-deck FRP or carbon design, as well. Plenty to like about this one.

But then, I also have no memories of the original Vanquish, so I am less picky about it being a faithful recreation. The availability of a clear body set is still welcome; I look forward to painting another shell in the Grastens/Italy/Mexican (depending on who you ask) tri-colour :P

I think this car will be close enough to the Vanquish that I can be satisfied with it. Sign me up for one by mid-October :D

• Like 3

Pre-painted body🤔? I enjoy the build including the body :hmmmm might just wait for the optima mid to make an appearance!

3 hours ago, moffman said:

🤔mmm might just wait for the optima mid to make an appearance!

I agree!!! An Optima Mid is the only thing that'll keep me from purchasing the Vanquish. I LOVE the Avante family of cars ,. They are fun runners, amazing builds, and with modern plastics alot more robust. 

That said I agree would love to see the mid come back for round 2. 

• Like 1

Guys!. I have been out the loop for a while but has any other rerelease garnered this much attention/ enthusiasm than the vanquish. I Love it but I always thought most considered it the ugly cousin. 
 Maybe egress?.   

Just thjnk. With the clear body I could make a vanquish pink special with my black special wheels!!?.  

4CADB3FF-8AE4-4F43-8926-026BD2B663A2.jpeg

Pre painted body is interesting. Quite like the idea of it as long as the clear body can be had as a spare, and it sounds like that’s the case. 

Saves me having to paint two bodies; one for the shelf and the other for running. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xray mark said:

I have been out the loop for a while but has any other rerelease garnered this much attention/ enthusiasm than the vanquish.

Many, if not most, Tamiya rereleases garner a lot of attention/enthusiasm. The pattern has been much the same over the years. Various post occur over time about the hows/whys/why nots Tamiya will or won't release car X. Then, at some point, one of our trusted sources relays the information that car X is scheduled to be re-re'd. The thread grows and grows as folks excitedly remember their experiences with car X back in the day and what changes Tamiya will do to car X. This goes on for some time until car X finally begins to trickle out and forum members finally get to build them. Sometimes there is great happiness and for some, great rage that Tamiya has altered some aspect of car X that they found pivotal. Gradually, all that wanted car X, get car X and the thread finally dies down many many pages later. I actually love this cycle and go back and re-read old ones just to relive a little of the excitement that was in the air at the time.

• Like 7

TUSA has posted price for the VQS:

VQS 2020: MSRP: $482.00

Terra Scorcher: MSRP: $275.00

In other words, similar difference as indicated by the Swiss distributor.

36 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

TUSA has posted price for the VQS:

VQS 2020: MSRP: $482.00

Terra Scorcher: MSRP: $275.00

In other words, similar difference as indicated by the Swiss distributor.

Based on current TS UK RRP that's looking like £370 in the UK for the VQS. In the words of the Scottish Dragons Den guy, "Ahhhhhmmm OOOT!" 

• Haha 3

£370 seems a bit steep still. I'd like a Vanquish to run but much like others think I'll wait and see if Kyosho re release the Mid. 

• Like 1