Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

51 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

TUSA has posted price for the VQS:

VQS 2020: MSRP: $482.00

Terra Scorcher: MSRP: $275.00

In other words, similar difference as indicated by the Swiss distributor.

That price for a vanquish is comical. I was never a fan anyway and if i was id just save some extra for an avante or egress. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

TUSA has posted price for the VQS:

VQS 2020: MSRP: $482.00

Terra Scorcher: MSRP: $275.00

In other words, similar difference as indicated by the Swiss distributor.

Hard to tell from that what price Tower in the US for example will have.  Tamiyausa MSRP prices are usually batpoop insane.  Examples:

Avante MRSP on TUSA: $692
Avante in US hobby stores: $547

Buggy Champ MSRP on TUSA: $513
Buggy Champ in US hobby stores: $359

Hotshot MSRP on TUSA: $343
Hotshot price in US hobby stores: $240

Wild One MSRP on TUSA: $314
WIld One price at Tower: $219

So based on that, I would guess the Vanquish will be $320-$350 at US hobby stores which is frankly not an attractive price point.  You can use the $60 off $300 coupon at Tower putting it at $260-$290 making it a little easier to digest.... I guess. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Based on current TS UK RRP that's looking like £370 in the UK for the VQS. In the words of the Scottish Dragons Den guy, "Ahhhhhmmm OOOT!" 

Surely it won't be £370!

Going by the pricing posted by A baum it would work out at £260, which is more like it.

I paid £400 for my egress and that's full of carbon fibre and has hi caps!

But I think anything over £250 and I'll pass. Might buy one for the couple of parts I need and sell the rest on if it makes financial sense though.

56 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

UK RRP that's looking like £370 in the UK for the VQS

That's what I paid for my 2011 Egress last year :(

1 hour ago, graemevw said:

But I think anything over £250 and I'll pass

^^ This. 100% agree.

I really don’t want to come across as a dick but I can’t understand you guys complaining about the prices  for a vanquish. It’s not cheap to produce these items for a niche hobby such as ours. To run all that tooling and lay out a lot of money upfront , I can’t believe Tamiya make a fortune out of doing these small limited number runs of cars. Sometimes it feels like fan service to bring us something the loyal fans have asked for for years. If your talking about their parts bin cars that’s one thing but to recreate and package an original vanquish in relatively small numbers With preprinted shell. ( Presumably) bluster packaging i think that should be applauded. If we are not willing to pay Even at this Reasonable price then they will stop making rereleases and you will never get 959, ford ranger etc etc. 

• Like 1

I have taken advantage of the sudden increase in sales and picked up a near mint original instead. The re-re can be any price. Just going to use it for spares. 

1 hour ago, xray mark said:

I really don’t want to come across as a dick but I can’t understand you guys complaining about the prices  for a vanquish. It’s not cheap to produce these items for a niche hobby such as ours. To run all that tooling and lay out a lot of money upfront , I can’t believe Tamiya make a fortune out of doing these small limited number runs of cars. Sometimes it feels like fan service to bring us something the loyal fans have asked for for years. If your talking about their parts bin cars that’s one thing but to recreate and package an original vanquish in relatively small numbers With preprinted shell. ( Presumably) bluster packaging i think that should be applauded. If we are not willing to pay Even at this Reasonable price then they will stop making rereleases and you will never get 959, ford ranger etc etc. 

First, I really doubt Tamiya is re-releasing the Vanquish, or any car simply out of fan service.  They are in business to make money.  They feel the Vanquish would provide profit for them.  Great.  It just does rub some hobbyists the wrong way when some models are financially out of reach. In addition, Tamiya prices in general just seem to be rather random and subjective so people will question them.    

• Like 3

Well I must admit. I did read the thread wrong at first glance and thought people were moaning about the price at £250 but that was my mistake. I understand Tamiya are a business but I do think people underestimate the work that goes into making a model like this. I suppose it also depends on the nostalgia attached to each individual. I just Really hope it sells well so Tamiya keep making rereleases. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xray mark said:

Well I must admit. I did read the thread wrong at first glance and thought people were moaning about the price at £250 but that was my mistake. I understand Tamiya are a business but I do think people underestimate the work that goes into making a model like this. I suppose it also depends on the nostalgia attached to each individual. I just Really hope it sells well so Tamiya keep making rereleases. 

Would be interesting to see sales numbers for some of the reres.  Like how many terra scorchers have they made and sold?  Is it hundreds? Is it thousands?

Tamiya aren't our friends, they're not doing us a favour, they are a company reacting to a market and trying to make money. Like @A-Baum says, great - more power to them.  As the market we can be a part of the capitalist dream and vote with our wallets when prices are acceptable (or not as the case may be). I'm sure they could bring them out for a grand a pop but save a few with deep pockets they would not shift nearly the number of units they would at more reasonable prices.  They can do the high price low volume legacy passion project angle or the lower price higher volume as more of a pure product. Cake and then the ability to then eat it come to mind. 

Honestly if the Vanquish ends up sub 300 we're winning. It's a very cool toy. 

5 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Based on current TS UK RRP that's looking like £370 in the UK for the VQS. In the words of the Scottish Dragons Den guy, "Ahhhhhmmm OOOT!" 

geeez, thats out of my price range

Yeah, I try to accept prices for what they are. Some are great. The Terra Scorcher and Bigwig are both cheaper than they were originally. Considering inflation, not a bad deal I guess. The only thing that really got me mad was the MAP pricing gimmick awhile back. Waking up one day to see the price of every kit kit shoot up $40 to $150 more than the day before or so (based on what kit) with no reason other than "to add value" to the brand and "protect smaller hobby retailers" was a bitter pill to swallow. Guess what? We did vote with our wallets evidently and the prices reverted back to normal (thankfully).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, xray mark said:

Let's cut to the chase. The vanquish is simply not worth nearly £400. It is no better specced than the Terra scorcher albeit a different design. The only parts that are not already available are the chassis and a few key plastic parts (g11 etc), the rest can be picked from the avante and egress re re. If this kit is £300 or below I will be getting one but come on, this was made so that people who couldn't afford an avante could then get into this chassis.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see on the Tamiya Legends Facebook page there is suggestion that it will be €290 in Europe, so thats about £260 in the UK. I would definitely pick one up at that price. 

7 minutes ago, kid168 said:

Should be around 265USD on the Hong Kong online shops.

So $370 shipped.

I asked my LHS to put in a back order for me.  While I feel it's not a good value (especially compared to the downright cheap Terra Scorcher at $192), it is one that I have wanted to have I'm my collection for some time.

• Like 1

Whoa USD 300 ++?

Not for me then, I'll patiently wait for  Mantaray or Thunder Dragon rerelease.

Most people call em ugly but i like their unique "out of this world" body.

23 minutes ago, Morinstal said:

Whoa USD 300 ++?

Not for me then, I'll patiently wait for  Mantaray or Thunder Dragon rerelease.

Most people call em ugly but i like their unique "out of this world" body.

Manta ray is readily available now.

12 hours ago, didcos said:

For the prices quoted, you can probably have a mint original Vanquish.  

Where can I find this Vanquish?! I would have been way less excited for this re-release had I known - but then, perhaps it is because I have always had to contend with shipping to North America...

10 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Manta ray is readily available now.

Cant find any in LHS unfortunately >.<