Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

48 minutes ago, Morinstal said:

Cant find any in LHS unfortunately >.<

Ahhh, I meant online.  Jealous you even have LHS.  I don’t here stateside.

5 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Ahhh, I meant online.  Jealous you even have LHS.  I don’t here stateside.

Umm well, most of em (the hobby shops specialized in RC) closed long time ago due to dwindling rc enthusiasm and niche market in general. The ones that still survives, either have a strong money/customer support or following the trends. 5 years ago its drift spec onroad cars, and then turning to drones, and right now is crawling/adventures kit time to shine XD. And mostly they sell chinese products coz its cheap and affordable.

Even the official tamiya distributor only bring a very small amount of RC rerelease kits here. Its a bummer. Dont ask about the spareparts availability, what we have here is 5-10 year ago stocks that dont sell LOL.

The thing about buying things (overseas) online is the shipping cost. Ive checked Fedex rate to US/UK, its ranged from $60 - 80 ++. and add tax to that,  u could almost buy another kit ........

Off topic, this is the latest video i could find about tamiya official distributor store here in Jakarta, if u want to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTASJX0UdC4&t=236s

13 hours ago, Grastens said:

Where can I find this Vanquish?! I would have been way less excited for this re-release had I known - but then, perhaps it is because I have always had to contend with shipping to North America...

If you make a "Wanted" ad for a Vanquish on this website with a 400 GBP budget, you'll probably find some people willing to part with theirs <_<

The reason I very rarely buy re-release models is that with a little patience you can often find a good original one for less money. .

1 hour ago, didcos said:

The reason I very rarely buy re-release models is that with a little patience you can often find a good original one for less money. .

Which is fine if you don't care about building it or running it. 

Most of the value in the Re Re is the build experience and the ability to re-live your youth by whizzing it around the road (and inevitably smashing it to bits). 

Proper vintage Vanquish will smash itself to bits just sitting on the shelf. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, didcos said:

If you make a "Wanted" ad for a Vanquish on this website with a 400 GBP budget, you'll probably find some people willing to part with theirs <_<

I have just not personally found that to be the case, at least during this pandemic.  Ebay prices are crazy, especially on vintage chassis with a ton of missing/broken parts including body.  People are paying a premium for very little and if they restore it, half the parts are new/re-re parts and they likely spent more than the actual re-re.  I’m trying to dive into some restoration and the pricing is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Howards said:

Most of the value in the Re Re is the build experience and the ability to re-live your youth by whizzing it around the road (and inevitably smashing it to bits). 

Very true, that's why the re-release are interesting. That and getting the parts to restore the vintage ones.

11 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

I have just not personally found that to be the case, at least during this pandemic.  Ebay prices are crazy, especially on vintage chassis with a ton of missing/broken parts including body.  People are paying a premium for very little and if they restore it, half the parts are new/re-re parts and they likely spent more than the actual re-re.  I’m trying to dive into some restoration and the pricing is ridiculous.

You're right, now is not the best time to buy collectibles as everything seems to have gone up a bit. I also noticed some basket case cars selling for crazy prices. The situation will probably go back to normal, let's be patient. Although I try to be sensible, I also restored a few cars that  cost more than a full re-re model, but I enjoyed the fact of bringing something back to likf. Anyway, I still think 400GBP for a mint vintage Vanquish is doable, I'd have to think hard if I was offered that kind of many for mine ;)

Yeah I know what you mean about pandemic pricing... A few months back a listing appeared on ebay for two Optima Mids + parts for a third, which turned out to be a TO instead.  Cars are all resto cases, not sure how 'correct' they are from the pics, a lot of parts, particularly the TO ones look to have been 'modded' back in the day.  1650 GBP originally though recently reduced to 1300...

I was reading an Optima Mid thread on Oople a while back where some guy was asking advice about buying an Optima Mid. The thread dated from around 2011 from memory.  General consensus amongst the 'experts' was that he'd have no problem finding an OK runner for between 40-80 GBP... How times change.

Are you guys looking at current auctions or sold items on Ebay? I've been looking at RC10's for fun and people are asking $300 all the way up $1200, but in the sold listings most are going in the $150-200 range.

2 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Are you guys looking at current auctions or sold items on Ebay? I've been looking at RC10's for fun and people are asking $300 all the way up $1200, but in the sold listings most are going in the $150-200 range.

That’s a good point.  There’s currently a vintage frog chassis minus electronics and body at a Buy it now price of $278.  Absolutely insane and it won’t sell. Similar rolling chassis have been going for $60-$80.  I don’t even know why someone would put that listing up. Could almost buy 3 re re frogs for that. 

• Like 1

Worst I've seen in the last few months was a beat up madcap sell at auction for about 250€. Two guys stuck at home fighting to get a piece of junk to pass time... 

After all the cynicism surrounding this re-release, it is nice to see it looks much the same as the original - bathtub chassis included! I still hope to be able to get my hands on one :)

• Like 3

Looks everything as expected, but really, VQS Tamiya???

That destroys the whole Re Re box. No money for naming it "Vanquish". Should Aston Martin really be the reason?

:blink:

That looks good. Is it october yet?

Septembers probably going to be as much as a waste of time as most of the rest of this year. This will save 2020 for me.

On 8/9/2020 at 4:00 PM, Howards said:

It´s true, unless you improve it on:

rear upper deck and shock tower

front shock tower.

Will post my solution soon, before TC is full of new VQS Rere´s.:D

Just now, Superluminal said:

These the gold aluminium ones of the avante rere?

Screenshot_20200827-114149_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, that was clear for me. Why something else...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

That destroys the whole Re Re box. No money for naming it "Vanquish". Should Aston Martin really be the reason?

Someone on Mokei Kagaku's Facebook page supposed that Axial might be responsible... which would make more sense than Aston Martin, I think.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Grastens said:

Someone on Mokei Kagaku's Facebook page supposed that Axial might be responsible... which would make more sense than Aston Martin, I think.

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

In a couple of years time, one of these will be cited as the actual documented reason (told to me by an ex-employee who I can't name for legal reasons) for the name change and, along with 'they smashed all the moulds' become part of TC's 'grapevine legends'  :lol:
I read somewhere the name change has very little effect on straight line handling, although the diminished rigidity of the side panels (due to shorter stickers) does allow for better airflow over jumps.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TWINSET said:

In a couple of years time, one of these will be cited as the actual documented reason (told to me by an ex-employee who I can't name for legal reasons) for the name change and, along with 'they smashed all the moulds' become part of TC's 'grapevine legends'  :lol:

Despite that Tamiya keeps on pushing out countless Porsche models, it's even hard to kill the rumour (sorry, I mean "verified absolute truth") that a conflict between Porsche and Tamiya is the reason why the 959 hasn't been re-released (yet). So, establishing any imaginery explanation for the name change from "Vanquish" to "VQS" shouldn't be too hard. 

That said, I know the real reason, and my best friend, Shunsaku Tamiya himself, told me as we were sharing a bottle of his exquisite and priceless vintage sake while relaxing in Tamiya-san's natural geothermal spa at the foot of Fuji. It's located at Tamiya-san's inaka yashiki (country mansion), which has been in the Tamiya family for centuries. Being a good friend of the family, I of course have my own key, so I've stayed there countless times. When Tamiya-san drops by, he always provides a lot of inside information and company secrets and asks me for advice.

Oh yes, the reason for the name change? Well, Tamiya was contacted by Spanish descendants of Hernan Cortes, the conquistador who vanquished the Aztec Empire. They politely asked Tamiya not to give the then rumoured re-release of the Vanquish the original name. Actually, I stayed at Tamiya-san's inaka yashiki as the Cortes family visited, so I even heard it with my own ears and in fact, Tamiya-san kindly asked me to make the decision. 

It's true and I expect this to be the official explanation from now on!

(Disclaimer: I don't at all try to ridicule Aston Martin or Axial as potential reasons. Both seem plausible to me aswell. It's all intended as innocent fun only. Well, admittedly also as a slight slap to "Tamiya insiders" who have bragged and lied about their connections in the past. :P)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Bet it would of been something like that.There's other things called Vanquish (video game etc), but the very fact its a car - even one that looks nothing like an Aston - would of meant its an issue. I worked with licensing cars as part of my job, and can see this sort of thing being a major issue for Tamiya. Wasn't that the reason Fox changed to Nova Fox, due to the motorcross brand Fox? Similar thing.

• Like 1

So Tonys Tamiya just messaged me as I asked about a pre-order

VQS £335 with no ESC