Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

£345 Inc ESC and shipping from Tony in the UK.

That's about £100 more than I'd hoped.

1 hour ago, matisse said:

So Tonys Tamiya just messaged me as I asked about a pre-order

VQS £335 with no ESC

Also showing as £349 on Modelsport.co.uk. 

1 hour ago, Champ85 said:

Tower Hobbies (not sure I like their new website) has it for pre-order $337.40.  https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/110-rc-vqs-2020/TAM58686.html

Edit:  I can't checkout.  Clicking on Continue to Payment doesn't work.  Looking at $292.40 after $45 member coupon.  Still expensive.

Same here. Must not be fully set up yet 

15 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

For $292 that's borderline higher than I wanted to pay.  I expected $275 shipped or so.  Now the question is do I sideline my Super Hotshot for the Vanquish?  I don't think that I will.  

I also find it curious that most of the other Tamiya kits are backordered until late Oct but this will ship next month?  Interesting....

Also seems like we get the ESC model.  Or is Tony's removing the ESC and dropping the price $10?  

5 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

For $292 that's borderline higher than I wanted to pay.  I expected $275 shipped or so.  Now the question is do I sideline my Super Hotshot for the Vanquish?  I don't think that I will.  

I also find it curious that most of the other Tamiya kits are backordered until late Oct but this will ship next month?  Interesting....

Also seems like we get the ESC model.  Or is Tony's removing the ESC and dropping the price $10?  

A lot of the shops over here offer the kits without the ESC and then sell the ESC at a lower price than the officially boxed one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matisse said:

A lot of the shops over here offer the kits without the ESC and then sell the ESC at a lower price than the officially boxed one.

I don't know why but that rubs me the wrong way. When I buy the kit, I am buying the sealed kit.  Part of it is knowing it is sealed and complete and ripping off the plastic shrink wrap.  Not sure why that bothers me like it does...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

I don't know why but that rubs me the wrong way. When I buy the kit, I am buying the sealed kit.  Part of it is knowing it is sealed and complete and ripping off the plastic shrink wrap.  Not sure why that bothers me like it does...

I know what you mean

17 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

I don't disagree but what I understand is that especially in Asian markets the kits aren't shrink wrapped.  At least at one time they weren't.

On another note, I have ordered 2.  Yes they are overpriced, but I have an Avante, Avante Black, and Egress.  This brings me one step closer to having the collection.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tamiya3speed said:

I don't disagree but what I understand is that especially in Asian markets the kits aren't shrink wrapped.  At least at one time they weren't.

That's weird. You'd figure Tamiya would shrink wrap at the factory and everyone gets the same thing.  My Manta Ray from AsiaTees was "opened" but I thought that was just so they could throw my free gummies in with it. 

BTW, UK folks should be looking at a US store to buy and ship them.  We are paying 208 pounds for the Vanquish.  Even if it's $50 shipping, you've still got a heck of a discount.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

I don’t think it’s going to be September shipping. It will he adjusted soon I’m sure. Looking at late October/early November 

Since I posted about the true reason for the name change from "Vanquish" to "VQS" earlier today, I have received lots of angry PM's. I'm being accused of lying and some even claim that my story doesn't sound plausible! Can you believe it?!?!?  So, to prove beyond the slightest doubt to all of you that I told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, I've decided to post a photo from one of my countless visits to the Tamiya family's inaka yashiki , showing the very evening Tamiya-san and myself enjoyed a bottle of exquisite and priceless vintage sake together while I was advising Tamiya-san about future releases. As the photo was taken, Tamiya-san was showing me the prototype of the VQS for my approval. Also, he brought with him the next re-release, as you can see. 

Photos never lie, so I expect you all to believe anything I tell you from now on! 

blue-lagoon-geothermal-spa-120.jpg

(Disclaimer: I haven't received a single PM)

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, A-Baum said:

That's weird. You'd figure Tamiya would shrink wrap at the factory and everyone gets the same thing.  My Manta Ray from AsiaTees was "opened" but I thought that was just so they could throw my free gummies in with it. 

BTW, UK folks should be looking at a US store to buy and ship them.  We are paying 208 pounds for the Vanquish.  Even if it's $50 shipping, you've still got a heck of a discount.

I couldn't find it at 208 gbp? Tower are showing 337 usd, thats 255 gbp, but even at 208 gbp, shipping will be at least 60 gbp poss more, then you have 20% VAT and import/customs charges which can be up to 15 gbp, so even at 208, a VQS shipped to UK will stand you in around 340 gbp, pretty much what the UK sellers are charging.

Price is a bit too wild for a plastic kit  isn’t it? And I thought the super astute was too pricey at £180....

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, A-Baum said:

I believe TamiyaUSA is the one doing the shrink wrapping of kits sold in the North American market (US and Canada). 

So if you buy a kit that was imported by Tamiya USA no matter who the distributor/seller actually is, it will be shrink wrapped unless they opened it to add/remove parts or inspect it.

I thought it was Tamiya USA who usually adds the ESC to the kit and slaps on the "Includes ESC" sticker on the box cover before shrink wrapping, but I might be wrong about that.

I think the reason why they shrink wrap them is theft protection and to prevent the "accidental" loss of parts during shipping and shelf display.

As for the rest of the world, I do not think kits are shrink wrapped.  Any kits that I have received from Japan and Hong Kong have not been shrink wrapped.

Edited to add:  I think another reason why TamiyaUSA shrink wraps their kits is because Americans in general do not trust an unsealed box because there is no guarantee that parts are not missing.  In general, Americans like to feel confident that the product they purchased is complete and a sealed box is a way to show that the product has not been opened by someone else.  As an American, I understand the feeling of being unsure if the product is complete if there is no seal or shrink wrap, but in my opinion it isn't really necessary to shrink wrap the entire box.  Just a couple of circular tape seals on both sides of the box like Kyosho does for their kits would be fine.  Less plastic too.

Yep, crazy price IMO, its not even as if its a particularly high spec kit either.  But then I guess I'm not the target market.

18 minutes ago, neobrunox said:

wow, if these prices are real, this is  too expensive in my mind

!

They’re real. Confirmed!

2 hours ago, thegorf said:

I couldn't find it at 208 gbp? Tower are showing 337 usd, thats 255 gbp, but even at 208 gbp, shipping will be at least 60 gbp poss more, then you have 20% VAT and import/customs charges which can be up to 15 gbp, so even at 208, a VQS shipped to UK will stand you in around 340 gbp, pretty much what the UK sellers are charging.

You can get a $40 off $300 coupon on tower by joining their “club” for $10.  If you don’t join, there are still coupons like $30 off 325 or something.  You have to pay VAT for items shipped from the US?  I’ve imported stuff from HK/China/Germany and never paid a dime in import fees or anything. Tower won’t even collect US sales tax from you when you check out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

I figured out how to check out.  You need to click on the Edit button to the right of your shipping address.  Your shipping info will display.  Now click on the Continue to Payment button.  You will see an error show up under the phone number field of the shipping info.  Remove the dashes between the numbers.  The error will go away and you can then click on the Payment button.

You will need to remove the dashes from your phone number a second time as well during or after the payment screen.

13 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Don’t forget we pay %20 vat and 5-7% duty on this. Makes it almost as expensive as uk ones.

I contacted Modellbau Seidel today and got the reply, that release is probably end of Octobre. Upcoming preorder price and endprice is not setup at the moment. 

For my personal mood, I transfer the Tower price into €, so that would be in the range of the super astute.:lol: That would make sense modelwise, but probably only for me. I just hope it will not exceed up to the lower range of the Avante the last 9 years...:blink:

Bit over priced me thinks?🤔 and I'm not a fan of a pre-painted body With a kit because I like to do a different colour or just a slight twist on the original box art! I'm gona pass on this one and fingers crossed on a Optima mid re-release!!!

5 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

Don’t forget we pay %20 vat and 5-7% duty on this. Makes it almost as expensive as uk ones.

How/When do you have to pay VAT on items shipped overseas?