Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

27 minutes ago, Rich T UK said:

How was the original Vanquish priced in comparison to the other cars in it's chassis family - what did it cost in proportion to an Avante or Egress?

Vanquish was priced between £139-155

Terra Scorcher was £115-133 I recall rere is £180-189 in the UK. So by that comparison, the Vanquish should be around £220-230. 

12EF2D0A-40F0-48A8-BD3A-F1C4D317B273.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm not asking about the Terra Scorcher (there's been a lot about that in the thread already). I was wondering how much it was compared to Avante and Egress, as that would be illuminating the discussion. 

So, modelsport list the RRP of an Avante (not currently available, of course) as £515 with VQS at £385 - so 74.7% of the price of an Avante. what was that figure beack in period.

5 hours ago, Fuijo said:

I don't think you can really compare the cost of the original kits with the rereleases. The parts are mostly slightly different, so it is logical that the production processes will also be slightly different, and I would imagine the labour costs are also different.

Not really comparing the costs to the original, but comparing the difference in costs between original kits as well as the unwritten 'pecking order' that we all came to know in the 80s and early 90s.  You know with the grasshoppers at the bottom and the Avantes at the top.  For example if a re-re- Hornet came out costing more than a Terra Scorcher, we'd all turn our heads sideways and wonder what the heck Tamiya is doing.  When the Vanquish was priced just a bit more than the TS but now it's significantly more expensive than the re-re TS that wrankles the natives a little bit.  

I just want the next re-re announced so we can stop talking about the VQS!   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rich T UK said:

I'm not asking about the Terra Scorcher (there's been a lot about that in the thread already). I was wondering how much it was compared to Avante and Egress, as that would be illuminating the discussion. 

So, modelsport list the RRP of an Avante (not currently available, of course) as £515 with VQS at £385 - so 74.7% of the price of an Avante. what was that figure beack in period.

Egress 2013 - 345€

VQS        - 299€

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, waterbok said:

Egress 2013 - 345€

VQS        - 299€

That is a no brainer choice

• Like 1

I too made the comparison to the terra scorcher and it’s a bonkers hike to the VQS 

Maybe I’m just dumb but what makes it worth so much more 

JJ

Had a Vanquish as my first car in the 80's and it was called a 'poor mans Avante'. Eventough, it was a high range model and i had a lot of fun with it. Outstandig handling and performance. Most certain i will get this rere if only for memory's sake ;-) Noticed the body comes prepainted which is rare(?).

On 9/4/2020 at 12:30 AM, xray mark said:

You mean £266?. That is the price at tamico. This car is an egress with plastic chassis and cvas. It’s bought to us in the middle of covid . They have prob spent Hundreds of thousands making the moulds . Hopefully it will be vintage style blister packaging. I can’t believe people are still complaining about the price. We are lucky to be getting this model finally .

I don't think you can state the price is high due to them having to make moulds. They have to for any re release.  The Terra scorcher is a higher spec car for under £200. The vanquish was an entry level way into the avante family.  It may be £266 at tamico and that is better but I still think that the pricing is all over the place

• Like 1

And as I said above, with postage thats 280 gbp, getting awfully close to the psychological 300 level.

• Like 1

I couldn't hold back since i miss my old Vanquish.  I still have the original Avante, Egress,  Avante 2001 and I sold my vanquish years ago for what ever reason.  Not original but it will do.

I think the trump tariff really jack up the Tamiya pricing.  This kit should cost in the low $200's.

52 minutes ago, gixxer said:

I couldn't hold back since i miss my old Vanquish.  I still have the original Avante, Egress,  Avante 2001 and I sold my vanquish years ago for what ever reason.  Not original but it will do.

I think the trump tariff really jack up the Tamiya pricing.  This kit should cost in the low $200's.

It’s the China virus, not the trump tariff. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

It’s the China virus, not the trump tariff. 

The pricing has gone up since 2018 across the line and not just 2020. I don't understand your view.

8 minutes ago, gixxer said:

The pricing has gone up since 2018 across the line and not just 2020. I don't understand your view.

I don’t understand your view. If it was the trump tariff, other countries wouldn’t have the vanquish for an overpriced amount, only USA would. That’s not the case as every country has the vanquish at an overpriced amount. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

What's different between the VQS and Egress?

FRP chassis and dampers?

Lot more than that! Gearing would probably be like the Avante gear type not the ball diff. This is a poor mans Egress for almost Egress money. 

I don’t know how anyone can justify spending that much for a VQS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avante2001R said:

I don’t know how anyone can justify spending that much for a VQS.

For the sake of sentiment ;-)

I'm not going to debate but the conclusion is the pricing has risen and not consistent with what is expected. I guess I'm one of a few that actually preordered one since I wanted one bad enough.  

In 2015 I purchased the Egress  for$327.95  from tower hobbies

Today I ordered a 2020 VQS Vanquish for $292.40 from tower hobbies

Even with these higher prices if the Avante 2001 and Porsche 959 get the green light, I probably can't resist as well.

17 minutes ago, gixxer said:

In 2015 I purchased the Egress  for$327.95  from tower hobbies

The Egress was released in 2013. Of course 2 years later with plentiful supply the price went lower. The same will happen with the VQS. A bit of an unfair comparison really imo.

I am honestly completely bewildered that 90% of the content of this thread is moaning about the price. The VQS will get significantly cheaper after it's been out for a while.

6 hours ago, Fuijo said:

The Egress was released in 2013. Of course 2 years later with plentiful supply the price went lower. The same will happen with the VQS. A bit of an unfair comparison really imo.

I am honestly completely bewildered that 90% of the content of this thread is moaning about the price. The VQS will get significantly cheaper after it's been out for a while.

You have a good point.  But being a plastic buggies i expected $250 tops.   When I decide to clean out old magazines and junk i'll probably compare retail pricing since i really can't remember if the Vanquish was always an expensive kit.  When the price drops i'll probably get another and keep it NIB.

8 hours ago, Fuijo said:

If the VQS is £100 more than the Terra Scorcher (Which my daughter got for £185 last month) then comments about price are fully justified IMHO

Even when new it was not that great, only marginally better than a Terra Scorcher on a smooth dirt track, worse on a rougher track and only substantially bettered the TS on high grip surfaces. They both have plastic tub chassis, same CVA shocks AND the TS has only one stupidly weak part (A5) whereas the Vanquish had very fragile hubs all round and super fragile hub carriers up front. Any slight impact WILL result in £30-60 of damage minimum. Parts almost impossible to find even when new BITD and that situation is not much better today even after a string of re-releases of the Avante class cars.

I had one back then so I speak from experience and I still own one that I'm currently rebuilding that has been a runner for 20 years.

They do not have any of the kudos that the Avante cars have. Even the Avante 2001 and Egress while not necessarily being better performers had alloy parts, FRP or carbon chassis and looked more the part even if they weren't. The vanquish just didn't have any real positives, it didn't look like a piece of art, didn't have shiny bits and didn't even perform that well against the buggies it replaced from Tamiya and was completely outclassed by just about every other similarly priced buggy at the time. So I too think anything over £200 would be overpriced. I'd rather buy a Schumacher Cat XLS.

I would rather have seen a re-release of the Avante 2001 or Egress to be honest as in my opinion they are more desirable even after a few re-releases but maybe I'm biased - I'm trying to rebuild an Avante 2001 and Egress (in addition to the Vanquish) and getting frustrated with lack of parts compared with thundershot based cars where parts seem to be very easy to find.

EDIT: Just noticed that Modelsport UK have the VQS on for £349 pre-order, nearly double the price of a Terra Scorcher. I can't see them being bought to run, they'll just be bought as shelf queens which saddens me, I like to see buggies being used as nature intended.

• Like 2

I agree with everything you say there, I think it would make a nice build at the 200-225 gbp level, but at 345, well it's nice but nowhere near that nice, IMO of course.  I'd rather throw 15 quid less at a ReRe Optima.  Or spend another 50-100 gbp and source a 2011 Avante.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

If the VQS is £100 more than the Terra Scorcher (Which my daughter got for £185 last month) then comments about price are fully justified IMHO

Even when new it was not that great, only marginally better than a Terra Scorcher on a smooth dirt track, worse on a rougher track and only substantially bettered the TS on high grip surfaces. They both have plastic tub chassis, same CVA shocks AND the TS has only one stupidly weak part (A5) whereas the Vanquish had very fragile hubs all round and super fragile hub carriers up front. Any slight impact WILL result in £30-60 of damage minimum. Parts almost impossible to find even when new BITD and that situation is not much better today even after a string of re-releases of the Avante class cars.

I had one back then so I speak from experience and I still own one that I'm currently rebuilding that has been a runner for 20 years.

They do not have any of the kudos that the Avante cars have. Even the Avante 2001 and Egress while not necessarily being better performers had alloy parts, FRP or carbon chassis and looked more the part even if they weren't. The vanquish just didn't have any real positives, it didn't look like a piece of art, didn't have shiny bits and didn't even perform that well against the buggies it replaced from Tamiya and was completely outclassed by just about every other similarly priced buggy at the time. So I too think anything over £200 would be overpriced. I'd rather buy a Schumacher Cat XLS.

I would rather have seen a re-release of the Avante 2001 or Egress to be honest as in my opinion they are more desirable even after a few re-releases but maybe I'm biased - I'm trying to rebuild an Avante 2001 and Egress (in addition to the Vanquish) and getting frustrated with lack of parts compared with thundershot based cars where parts seem to be very easy to find.

EDIT: Just noticed that Modelsport UK have the VQS on for £349 pre-order, nearly double the price of a Terra Scorcher. I can't see them being bought to run, they'll just be bought as shelf queens which saddens me, I like to see buggies being used as nature intended.

A fool and his money are soon parted 

• Like 1

I have had a good look at the image of the VQS and I don't think it even comes with adjustable turnbuckle upper suspension arms (the original didn't either) so is actually inferior to terra scorcher there which has turnbuckles on all upper arms. For £350 I'd not only expect turnbuckles but gold plated ones too ;-)

They have fitted the new much stronger front hub carriers which is good but the hubs themselves look like they may just be the plastic ones which will break at the point the shoulder screws go in after about 10 minutes of use or the first large pebble you hit.....

The only excellent thing about this VQS is that loads of people will buy it to put on a shelf, buy the optional shock kits to make it look less plasticky for display and sell the yellow CVA's on ebay so I can finally get some new ones for my thundershots and Terra Scorchers :-)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

A fool and his money are soon parted 

Excuse me!. Who do you think you are are to come in here and call us fools for spending money on a hobby we live. Some of us are not so entitled that we expect a company to release a niche product in the middle of a global pandemic And not expect them to turn a profit. 
 If it were an Avante 2001 you would soon change your tune and pay whatever they ask. 
your post is very rude.