Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

Don’t forget when the egress was launched it had an rrp of god knows how much. If you don’t want to pay the launch price then wait and get one cheap later. 
 I for one am sad that the whole hype train for this car has been derailed by people who have done nothing but moan about the price. If you don’t like it you don’t have to buy it but please stop flogging  the same dead horse. 

2 minutes ago, xray mark said:

Excuse me!. Who do you think you are are to come in here and call us fools for spending money on a hobby we live. Some of us are not so entitled that we expect a company to release a niche product in the middle of a global pandemic And not expect them to turn a profit. 
 If it were an Avante 2001 you would soon change your tune and pay whatever they ask. 
your post is very rude. 

Don’t compare an Avante 2001 with this cheap plastic Chassis VQS. 

I’m all for spending money on this hobby which I have a passion for having been into it for the past 31 years but I don’t spend money on something that is poor value that is almost twice the price of what it should be..

Just like you think it is worth it many don’t. You have the right to your view and I and many others have a right to our view.. 

56 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

I’m all for spending money on this hobby which I have a passion for having been into it for the past 31 years but I don’t spend money on something that is poor value that is almost twice the price of what it should be..

Just like you think it is worth it many don’t. You have the right to your view and I and many others have a right to our view.. 

You have the right to your view, you don’t have the right to call us fools for buying something We love and instead of apologising you throw. Tantrum about your precious avante.

And thinking About it vanquish and Avante are 90% the sAme parts except the vanquish has a nicely moulded chassis made from engineering plastic instead of a cheap fibreglass sheet so I really don’t see your point from a techinical perspective 

1 hour ago, Avante2001R said:

And thinking About it vanquish and Avante are 90% the sAme parts except the vanquish has a nicely moulded chassis made from engineering plastic instead of a cheap fibreglass sheet so I really don’t see your point from a techinical perspective. 

1 hour ago, xray mark said:

Excuse me!. Who do you think you are are to come in here and call us fools for spending money on a hobby we live. Some of us are not so entitled that we expect a company to release a niche product in the middle of a global pandemic And not expect them to turn a profit. 
 If it were an Avante 2001 you would soon change your tune and pay whatever they ask. 
your post is very rude. 

I second, who do you think you are to say a fool and his money are soon parted... Maybe for you its expensive,  but for me its not. To you its not worth it, to me, it is!

1 minute ago, xray mark said:

And thinking About it vanquish and Avante are 90% the sAme parts except the vanquish has a nicely moulded chassis made from engineering plastic instead of a cheap fibreglass sheet so I really don’t see your point from a techinical perspective. 

Yes, very true indeed and in fact the Vanquish is the better car on track than Avante 2001 and far superior to the original Avante due to it being lighter and (certainly compared with the original Avante) having those yellow CVA's which are excellent shocks, especially if you source some aftermarket springs in different rates.

I think the crux of the issue comes down to something one of my daughters said last night while looking at my Avante 2001 chassis on the workbench (being rebuilt with carbon decks and egress shocks) , she said 'it looks like a proper race car'

Now we all know that is not true and these chassis were not actually that great on track compared to other buggies but it is the fact they 'look' like they are. The Vanquish may actually perform better but it doesn't have the correct look IMHO, sadly the yellow CVA's, as fine as they are, do look a bit too plasticky. The black plastic CVA's on the Avante 2001, while essentially being the same shock, transform the appearance. I think alot of the extra markup on the Avante's is accepted more easily because of 'the look' but you are absolutely correct, it makes no sense whatsoever to be willing to pay a premium for the Avante 'look' and then shy away from the same price tag on a virtually identical chassis albeit with a different body BUT I will include myself as one of the fools that would do exactly that ;-) I think I suffer a form of temporary insanity..... LOL

Actually, I will amend that last comment, I don't think I'd even spend £350 on an Avante 2001. I have just spent about £100 on each of my Avante class buggies to restore them, that is about the limit for me, If I was to spend £350 on new buggies I'd tend to buy either a modern buggy or a more rugged vintage one because I like to run my cars and I would baulk at running/racing a car that was not just expensive to buy but where I knew the parts were also going to be expensive. I'm going to keep one of my three as a runner (a modified 2001) but will retire my Vanquish and Egress to be shelf queens. The kids are happy enough racing the Terra Scorchers and at least they are relatively cheap to maintain. I personally get my enjoyment from running the cars, not a fan of keeping them on shelves but appreciate and respect we are all different and get our enjoyment in different ways. To put it in perspective, me and my daughters play warhammer 40K and we have £K's of figures and even a rules book is like £30 and you need a new one each year or so. That hobby makes RC cars look cheap! :-)

4 hours ago, kid168 said:

I second, who do you think you are to say a fool and his money are soon parted... Maybe for you its expensive,  but for me its not. To you its not worth it, to me, it is!

Amen!. 

• Like 1

since the re re Vanquish is coming with plastic Tub chassis, i have a feeling , Tamiya will come up with carbon chassis set as Hop Up parts for it, same when they did back then with set 53038.

if this happens,  then i will consider buying the re re Vanquish, other than that, no point ( for me ) to buy the re re.

cheers 

Just painted a Vanquish shell - I now understand why Tamiya decided to include the painted and trimmed shell. It's next degree difficulty compared to Egress (******* easy) and Avante (moderate and that window shape...)

There's a lot of scope to make a mess of it and the cockpit window is a tough shape. It also needs a window outline that the sticker sheet doesn't seem to include. 

• Like 1

I didn't realized the body was pre-painted.  Back in my racing days a paint job averages $75 for  a multi color racing scheme. To me I'd value one color and precut to worth  an extra $45   of labor especially with these difficult tape jobs..  This brings the pricing back to scale with the Avante today.   

1 hour ago, Howards said:

Just painted a Vanquish shell - I now understand why Tamiya decided to include the painted and trimmed shell. It's next degree difficulty compared to Egress (******* easy) and Avante (moderate and that window shape...)

There's a lot of scope to make a mess of it and the cockpit window is a tough shape. It also needs a window outline that the sticker sheet doesn't seem to include. 

That’s what I have been saying. I’m sure I remembered the vanquish shell hard to paint and I’ve done dozens . 

10 minutes ago, Howards said:

Tamico has the hi-cap shock set for 44 euro (out of stock, obvs.)

This seems inexpensive for a nice set of alu shocks. Is it a pricing error or is this roughly what they go for?

Seems cheap to me, I've seen 2nd hand sets of them go for more than that. I thought the new price was around £70-80?

Price seems correct. When the rere topforce hicap set was released they were around 50, before demand overtook supply and everyone pushed their prices up to between 60-80.

VQS availability suggested for November now so hi cap damper sets should follow soon. Alternatively build an egress set from parts?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DGunn1 said:

Alternatively build an egress set from parts?

LOL, not that easy, rears are easy enough to find and quite cheap, fronts are nigh on impossible! I have had to order mine from Japan and that is just the bodies. Thankfully I already have the springs and rods etc.

It will be great if we can get a good alloy shock set at better prices once this VQS is released. 

To be honest, I really like the CVA's but just wish they had done more black versions than yellow. The yellow looked great in the 80's but time has aged them and these days I think black is a safer colour. I'm surprised Tamiya didn't just opt for black (Avante 2001) dampers on the VQS, would look less plasticky. They could always just release a new batch of yellow CVA's for the collectors and restorers as they would be useful for old Thundershots/Terra Scorchers and numerous other Tamiya buggies. Hardly like they need to re-tool for them as they have re-re'd loads of buggies in recent times with CVA's.

On 9/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, gixxer said:

I didn't realized the body was pre-painted.  Back in my racing days a paint job averages $75 for  a multi color racing scheme. To me I'd value one color and precut to worth  an extra $45   of labor especially with these difficult tape jobs..  This brings the pricing back to scale with the Avante today.   

I think the opposite though, for me a big part of the enjoyment of building a kit is painting and decal'ing the shell, especially as I (and my kids) like to do our own team colours. 

If the shell comes ready painted then to me that is no better than an RTR so I'd expect to pay LESS for that not a premium price. Seems a really odd decision by Tamiya IMHO. The whole re-re thing is crazy at the moment and prices seem to be all over the place.

As Tamiya have all the tooling already in place for Avante 2001, Vanquish and Egress, and as 90% of the parts are the same, they could satisfy far more people by simply offering an Avante 2001 shell, carbon or FRP decks and shock towers,  black or alloy shocks, and black or white wheels as options. This way the VQS forms the basis of potential three different builds. The VQS forming the cheapest base model but with more options to make it an Avante2001 or Egress.

I'm currently rebuilding all three and seriously, there are only a dozen or so parts (ignoring screws and bolts) that are different. (Avante 2001 & Egress have FRP/Carbon decks, shock towers, mostly metal wing mount and black or alloy shocks plus the wheels)

EDIT: It would also be a nice gesture by Tamiya to support all of us who have are struggling to maintain and use our existing Avante2001/Egress buggies by providing spare parts for them. We paid a premium at the time for these buggies and yet the parts supply was curtailed far earlier than for their very cheap buggies, which they continued to support (through numerous spin offs) for donkeys years. It is a bit like Land Rover saying buy this £150K Range Rover and we'll support it for 1 year but buy our £20K Freelander and we'll support you for 30 years......not exactly good sales tactic IMHO. As evidence of that, I'm a huge Tamiya fan but have only bought one new RC kit from them in last 15 years (my daughters re-re Terra Scorcher), I refuse to pay their silly prices for regurgitated stuff. If they priced them more sensibly then I'd have bought loads. Instead I maintain my existing fleet by buying 2nd hand parts and/or bespoke components from 3rd party suppliers. In fact I would not have even bought the Terra Scorcher other than the fact it was a present and I needed the box, as I have enough parts to build a dozen new TS's.

16 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

painting and decal'ing the shell

VQS shell is pre-painted but presumably not stickered. 

Interestingly the box says 'body is pre-painted in black' which is odd as the body is actually black and egress silver on the nose around the canopy. The original box art has a border around the cockpit window that's also missing on the sticker sheet and not mentioned on the painting instructions, presumably as it's beyond even moderately able painters to get anything near an acceptable finish on it. Will be interesting to see if they've pre-painted that and what they've done with the nose. 

The Vanquish is probably the hardest to achieve a good finish in box art due to the missing cockpit border, the silver and black paint requirement and the number and complexity of the curves you need to mask. If I did one again, I would use liquid mask as tape and a pre-cut window mask barely cut it, no pun intended. There is a bit of method to their thinking on including a pre-painted body as there's a great chance of making a meal of it - google image search for examples!

54 minutes ago, Howards said:

The Vanquish is probably the hardest to achieve a good finish in box art due to the missing cockpit border, the silver and black paint requirement and the number and complexity of the curves you need to mask.

Yeah, I have painted a couple myself and  you are right, they are not easy. However for me that is part of the challenge of building the kit :-)

To be honest, on my basher Vanquish/Avante2001 I actually painted them on the outside of the shell. I used an etch primer and then automotive paint and lined the cockpit (of the Avante 2001) with thin silver lining tape from Halfords (was a UK auto parts supplier until a few years ago when it went all climate changey and now concentrate on bikes or boy racer stuff), it lasted surpisingly well, used and abused and raced on rough tracks and most of the external paint is still in place! Was a damned sight easier to paint from the outside :-)

EDIT: Attached pic is Vanquish and Avante2001, both etch primed on the outside and painted with automotive paint 18 years ago. They have been thrashed on rough tracks almost every year for 18 years and the paint has only started to flake off in a few small places. 

AvanteVanquishBuild (1).jpg

These are both currently undergoing a full rebuild and will return to bashing/racing soon. They are not shelf queens despite the horrific cost of hubs and uprights over the years...... ;-)

4 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

However for me that is part of the challenge of building the kit :-)

I know I know... I think they are trying to make it easy for new entrants who maybe have just built a DT03 or something. They don't want them to get to the end of the build and think 'well, I really fubar'd that paint job up didn't I?'. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mud4fun said:

LOL, not that easy, rears are easy enough to find and quite cheap, fronts are nigh on impossible! I have had to order mine from Japan and that is just the bodies. Thankfully I already have the springs and rods etc.

It will be great if we can get a good alloy shock set at better prices once this VQS is released. 

To be honest, I really like the CVA's but just wish they had done more black versions than yellow. The yellow looked great in the 80's but time has aged them and these days I think black is a safer colour. I'm surprised Tamiya didn't just opt for black (Avante 2001) dampers on the VQS, would look less plasticky. They could always just release a new batch of yellow CVA's for the collectors and restorers as they would be useful for old Thundershots/Terra Scorchers and numerous other Tamiya buggies. Hardly like they need to re-tool for them as they have re-re'd loads of buggies in recent times with CVA's.

Tony's tamiya parts in UK eBay has all the parts to build up the front hicaps

1 minute ago, slimleeroy said:

Tony's tamiya parts in UK eBay has all the parts to build up the front hicaps

There may be a misunderstanding here, I was talking about the Egress grey alloy shocks not the plastic CVA's? I have been on Tonys tamiya parts many times in the last few weeks to order stuff and I'm pretty sure there are no Egress front shock bodies on there, can you provide a link? or description? 

7 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

when do the vqs 2020 hi caps get released? anyone know?

Hopefully before December 31st :)

I was just examining my shells and found another difference between Avante2001 and Vanquish that I'd forgotten about, the end plates on the Avante2001 wing are bolt on which makes painting the wing alot easier than on the Vanquish where they are moulded in and are difficult to spray paint down the very narrow space at each end plate. I quite like the bolt on plates. I assume they are not common because they are more likely to pull apart in a roll but having said that I have rolled mine loads of times and wing seems to have survived OK.