Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:04 PM, mud4fun said:

There may be a misunderstanding here, I was talking about the Egress grey alloy shocks not the plastic CVA's? I have been on Tonys tamiya parts many times in the last few weeks to order stuff and I'm pretty sure there are no Egress front shock bodies on there, can you provide a link? or description? 

I have recently built a front and rear set with parts from him  try emailing him he doesn't always list all parts

1 hour ago, slimleeroy said:

I have recently built a front and rear set with parts from him  try emailing him he doesn't always list all parts

Thanks, no worries, I have managed to source a full set now :-)

On 9/21/2020 at 12:40 AM, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

when do the vqs 2020 hi caps get released? anyone know?

November 

• Like 1

Just seen this on Instagram looks interesting not sure of the pre-painted body 

Screenshot_20201001-223434_Instagram.jpg

• Like 3

Thankyou my friend!. Finally some positive hype for this great car. The box looks cracking!. Slightly dissApointed no blisters but Very snazzy colours! 
cant wait to add it to my Avante family! 

Looks like the cockpit surround is not painted in silver? Perhaps they will be a decal rather than original?

• Like 1

Can Any vanquish / Avante experts confirm exactly what parts I would  need if I wanted to convert vanquish to carbon or alloy  chassis set? 
thanks 

10 hours ago, xray mark said:

Can Any vanquish / Avante experts confirm exactly what parts I would  need if I wanted to convert vanquish to carbon or alloy  chassis set? 
thanks 

Depends, do you want to go whole hog and aim for Avante2001/Egress spec? If so then there are quite a few parts, many small but difficult to find.

I have just rebuilt my Vanquish and Avante2001 side by side (see my rebuild thread in the builds section HERE) and I'm just starting to rebuild my Egress and possibly an Avante, however I'm no expert as I use my cars so they often end up with modified parts or non original parts.

If you wanted to effectively get a carbon chassis avante2001 from a vanquish then off the top of my head you'd need:

• Avante2001 rear shock tower brace/foot (plastic)
  • Avante2001/Egress rear carbon shock tower
  • Avante2001/Egress wire rear wing mount (the vanquish wing mount is a plastic thing that screws to the plastic shock tower)
  • Avante2001/Egress wing mounting alloy cones
  • Avante2001 rear anti sway bar mounting plates
  • Avante2001 rear anti sway bar and all fittings to connect to lower suspension arm
  • In addition to the carbon upper and lower decks you need the deck support posts, rear alloy suspension cones and spacers and the rear suspension bracing bars (that fit on the chassis plate)
  • The rear alloy post for mounting the undertray
  • Avante2001 steering plate and ballraced pivots
  • Avante2001 carbon front shock tower (Egress front tower is no good for a vanquish conversion because your vanquish shell will not fit through the tower)  
  • different steering arm rod lengths
  • Not absolutely necessary but you may need to change or alter the shocks, not just to go black instead of yellow but the fronts are different lengths I think
  • You may need to fit softer springs, the car will be lighter and depending on how firm the stock springs are you'll bounce at speed after going carbon
  • Large threaded balls for the rear camber links (the vanquish uses a screw through a floating ball into the plastic tower, the Avante/Egress use the threaded ball bolted onto the long rear suspension mounting screw)
  • Numerous different screws, nuts, spacers and shock/anti sway bar mounting balls etc

I would guess at over £200 in parts to do the full conversion and that is just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head!

Also if you actually wanted to use the buggy for any length of time or on anything other than a totally smooth, debris clear piece of tarmac then you'll need the Yeah racing alloy hubs all round too, so add another £50 on for them. The stock plastic hubs on the vanquish/avante class cars are truly dreadful, very weak and even the slightest knock at the wrong angle will cause them to shear around the shoulder screw mounting points. So even with the new much stronger front hub carrier (gold anodised), the hubs if they remain plastic (as with all other re-re avante chassis are not fit for purpose IMHO.

EDIT: Dug out my Vanquish manual and the hopped up version shown in there (picture attached) with the carbon chassis does indeed show all the items I've listed above, so is pretty much an Avante2001/Egress hybrid. 

EDIT2: In all honesty, it is probably cheaper to just buy an Avante2001 or Egress NIB

manual-hop-up.jpg

8 hours ago, Nova1 said:

Looks like the cockpit surround is not painted in silver? Perhaps they will be a decal rather than original?

You'd hope so, otherwise no chance of getting it Box Art. 

Gonna be a tricky one to apply.

9 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Depends, do you want to go whole hog and aim for Avante2001/Egress spec? If so then there are quite a few parts, many small but difficult to find.

I have just rebuilt my Vanquish and Avante2001 side by side (see my rebuild thread in the builds section HERE) and I'm just starting to rebuild my Egress and possibly an Avante, however I'm no expert as I use my cars so they often end up with modified parts or non original parts.

If you wanted to effectively get a carbon chassis avante2001 from a vanquish then off the top of my head you'd need:

• Avante2001 rear shock tower brace/foot (plastic)
  • Avante2001/Egress rear carbon shock tower
  • Avante2001/Egress wire rear wing mount (the vanquish wing mount is a plastic thing that screws to the plastic shock tower)
  • Avante2001/Egress wing mounting alloy cones
  • Avante2001 rear anti sway bar mounting plates
  • Avante2001 rear anti sway bar and all fittings to connect to lower suspension arm
  • In addition to the carbon upper and lower decks you need the deck support posts, rear alloy suspension cones and spacers and the rear suspension bracing bars (that fit on the chassis plate)
  • The rear alloy post for mounting the undertray
  • Avante2001 steering plate and ballraced pivots
  • Avante2001 carbon front shock tower (Egress front tower is no good for a vanquish conversion because your vanquish shell will not fit through the tower)  
  • different steering arm rod lengths
  • Not absolutely necessary but you may need to change or alter the shocks, not just to go black instead of yellow but the fronts are different lengths I think
  • You may need to fit softer springs, the car will be lighter and depending on how firm the stock springs are you'll bounce at speed after going carbon
  • Large threaded balls for the rear camber links (the vanquish uses a screw through a floating ball into the plastic tower, the Avante/Egress use the threaded ball bolted onto the long rear suspension mounting screw)
  • Numerous different screws, nuts, spacers and shock/anti sway bar mounting balls etc

I would guess at over £200 in parts to do the full conversion and that is just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head!

Also if you actually wanted to use the buggy for any length of time or on anything other than a totally smooth, debris clear piece of tarmac then you'll need the Yeah racing alloy hubs all round too, so add another £50 on for them. The stock plastic hubs on the vanquish/avante class cars are truly dreadful, very weak and even the slightest knock at the wrong angle will cause them to shear around the shoulder screw mounting points. So even with the new much stronger front hub carrier (gold anodised), the hubs if they remain plastic (as with all other re-re avante chassis are not fit for purpose IMHO.

EDIT: Dug out my Vanquish manual and the hopped up version shown in there (picture attached) with the carbon chassis does indeed show all the items I've listed above, so is pretty much an Avante2001/Egress hybrid. 

EDIT2: In all honesty, it is probably cheaper to just buy an Avante2001 or Egress NIB

manual-hop-up.jpg

Thanks for all the info. I was not really thinking about avante 2001, more so hoping that I could just buy the pargu alloy chassis plates and shock towers and call it a day but it sounds like you need quite a few fiddly bits . I reckon you could get away without the centre braces in an alloy top deck and I’m not too worried about rear roll bar . 
 I suppose what I’m aiming for I might as well just put a vanquish shell on egress kit with the x shape shock tower and mini hi caps?., 

would prob end up the same? 
I really hope Tamiya do they carbon chassis upgrade as an option. They have all the parts! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, xray mark said:

Thanks for all the info. I was not really thinking about avante 2001, more so hoping that I could just buy the pargu alloy chassis plates and shock towers and call it a day but it sounds like you need quite a few fiddly bits . I reckon you could get away without the centre braces in an alloy top deck and I’m not too worried about rear roll bar . 
 I suppose what I’m aiming for I might as well just put a vanquish shell on egress kit with the x shape shock tower and mini hi caps?., 

would prob end up the same? 
I really hope Tamiya do they carbon chassis upgrade as an option. They have all the parts! 

Yeah, I'm desperate for front gearbox casings, two of mine are u/s and a third is only operational because of epoxy LOL

I'm in the process of rebuilding 4 avante class buggies that I already owned so have not had to pay out for the initial purchase at todays prices. I got mine way back in 2000-2005 when you could buy an Avante2001 for as little as £50! I think the most I paid was for my trashed Avante that was missing alot of parts, I paid £80 for it in 2005 I think. I only bought it originally as a parts vehicle for my existing runners!

I've spent £500 so far across four buggies (although some of that is new ESC's, batteries, receivers etc) but that is still over £100 in parts per buggy just to get them operational again. I'd guess 75% of the cost was in front hub carriers and hubs. 

You can fit the Avante2001 onto the Vanquish chassis, you just need to drill a new mounting hole in the Avante2001 shell to suit the Vanquish chassis front body mounting post. That is cheap to do. You can also swap the yellow shocks for black and put on some modern 2.2 inch wheels and it transforms the look of the buggy.  I'll post a picture later of my Vanquish with an avante shell on it and black shocks so you can see what I mean.

For those interested the VQS hi caps are available, were in stock at tamico this morning!

• Like 2

@xray mark here are some pictures of my vanquish fitted with an Avante2001 shell, obviously the nose on the shell sits a little high here because I haven't drilled it to drop over the vanquish body post.

vanquish_z(1)(.thumb.jpg.abf75316a6700c0f6ad0d374d843a7cb.jpg

vanquish_z(2)(.thumb.jpg.594d74945c933ef687687b6536503145.jpg

vanquish_z(3)(.thumb.jpg.f84e98300542f5fe04b811ae2bca1dfa.jpg

vanquish_z(4)(.thumb.jpg.a9335fa8b88bb705d7d82f3485f6b802.jpg

NOTE: While the shell would fit fine with just a hole drilling for the front mount, the wing is not so easy. The Avante2001 wing interferes with the vanquish shock tower so either you'd need to fit the proper avante/egress wire wing mount or you'd need to make up a larger spacer to lift the avante wing clear (I just added a couple of 8mm spacers for these pics) or you'd need to trim the wing.

Then these pictures show the difference in visual appearance between a Vanquish and Avante2001 when both are fitted with black shocks and the same black wheels and same tyres.

The most noticeable thing is that the Avante2001 sits alot lower than the Vanquish (which is actually not so good on rough ground but makes it better on smooth tracks)

NOTE: The front shocks and shock tower on my Avante2001 ARE NOT STANDARD, they are modified to gain more suspension travel + there is no steering on the avante in this picture as I'm waiting for a carbon steering plate to arrive. My Avante2001 has just been upgraded to a carbon upper and lower deck plus carbon rear tower and is running Egress rear hicaps.

824652054_side_by_side(2).thumb.jpg.ba9f3e10e5274a1c23c1bd931c10de84.jpg

193638275_side_by_side(3).thumb.jpg.8b7765fc366423737fd0a48680502bb2.jpg

511914596_side_by_side(4).thumb.jpg.cfd89686c6a2062bc4ac7480e3ba4f3f.jpg

370568701_side_by_side(1).thumb.jpg.675b34672eab1a4fb9c107e2c6a821c6.jpg

PS. Sorry for spamming the thread with pictures, I'm not sure how to just show them as thumbnails in the post?

14 hours ago, xray mark said:

thanks 

I wouldn't do this if I were you.  If would be very expensive, and with The Egress, Avante, and now Vanquish obtainable I'm not sure what the gain would be.  To make an Avante 2001 all you need is an Egress, TBG Body, and MCI decals. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DGunn1 said:

For those interested the VQS hi caps are available, were in stock at tamico this morning!

Nice one!. Just ordered 2 sets. One for vanquish and one for black special 
shipped today!

should have got 3 really as they got the astute too.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mud4fun said:

PS. Sorry for spamming the thread with pictures, I'm not sure how to just show them as thumbnails in the post?

Nice cars mate!. Nice to see a vanquish that not black 

did you see that vqs mini hi caps are in stock at tamico already? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xray mark said:

Nice cars mate!. Nice to see a vanquish that not black 

did you see that vqs mini hi caps are in stock at tamico already? 

Thank you

Yes, although I have already pre-ordered some from elsewhere, should be here in a month or two, I'm not in that much of hurry as I have plenty to do in the meantime! :D

36 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

Pics now on Tamiyablog

Thanks! I'm not mad keen on the body; the driver is too far forward for my tastes. But I love the look of the chassis, which looks more suited to beach running than the Egress or Avante. Does anyone know if those body shells will fit?

15 hours ago, Fuijo said:

Thanks! I'm not mad keen on the body; the driver is too far forward for my tastes. But I love the look of the chassis, which looks more suited to beach running than the Egress or Avante. Does anyone know if those body shells will fit?

Yes, you can fit an Avante2001 or Egress repro body to the vanquish chassis - see my pics above (Friday at 11:34 AM) of the yellow avante2001 shell on a vanquish chassis - you'd just need to drill a new body mounting hole in shell to suit vanquish front mounting post or fit an egress stiffener plate which has the integral body mount for egress/avante2001 shells.

• Thanks 1

Couple more questions guys. I just got my mini hi caps for the vqs but the manual shows to mount them straight to the plastic towers NOT the carbon X tower that I have seen so much 

it says to insert a 5.5 mm spacer in the front shock. If I left this out coukd I mount them to an x Shape tower ? 
lastly , does anyone know what Other kit shock parts Could be used if I bought some gold Avante rere shock bodies? 
thanks 

On 10/7/2020 at 1:02 PM, xray mark said:

Couple more questions guys. I just got my mini hi caps for the vqs but the manual shows to mount them straight to the plastic towers NOT the carbon X tower that I have seen so much 

it says to insert a 5.5 mm spacer in the front shock. If I left this out coukd I mount them to an x Shape tower ? 
lastly , does anyone know what Other kit shock parts Could be used if I bought some gold Avante rere shock bodies? 
thanks 

The vanquish didn't come with a carbon front shock mount, any that you'll have seen will be aftermarket or egress types fitted to the vanquish to allow longer shocks to be fitted (or fitted with less laydown). I have an x tower on my avante2001. Spacers on the piston shaft itself will actually reduce the shock length (and lower the car) which is not what you need is it? You can get different piston shafts from various sets to make up a damper that fits with the x-brace - I did similar with my Avante2001. Also there are normally two types of lower mount supplied on the sprues with the mini CVA's, a short and a long. By playing around with those and different combinations of rod length you can get a perfect fit to any tower.

You can make the old yellow/black mini CVA (not medium or long which are bigger diameter) piston valves fit into the narrow gold avante bodies by spinning the yellow valves up on a dremel and using some wet/dry sand paper or a file to take off about 0.25mm from the diameter - I have done this on my Avante shocks, cheap, plentiful and better range of piston valves to choose from. However I don't generally use the avante shocks now, all mine got replaced with either Egress hicaps or black CVA's which are actually better shocks for my runners because I have loads of springs and other parts to fit them.  I just bought a few re-re gold bodies for display purposes, all my originals were scraped, scratched and worn away LOL

On 10/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, GTodd said:

I wouldn't do this if I were you.  If would be very expensive, and with The Egress, Avante, and now Vanquish obtainable I'm not sure what the gain would be.  To make an Avante 2001 all you need is an Egress, TBG Body, and MCI decals. 

Agree.