Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

1 minute ago, xray mark said:

I just looked!. That is exactly what I’m going for . I prefer egress chassis to Avante metal links but you can’t beat Avante shell with nicely done paint and driver figure!

I found the driver. On eBay Avante z parts. £7 Just bought him. I seem to remember I somehow mounted my other cockpit to egress top deck with the screw somehow but I may be wrong. If so I will copy your technique! 
 I just need to buy mci decals and undertray and X shock tower! 
looking forward to this! 

On the Re Re Egress chassis there is the hole for the Avante driver figure, if I remember correctly. Because the Rere 2001 bodyshell has the 2011 driver figure included.

I just wanted to make additional holes in my original 2001 FRP chassis, so I went down this route. 

by the way rueb  did you see thAt you can buy black can motor quite similar to dyna tech? 
I was thinking to buy one and a repro dyna sticker to put on the can for repro looks!?.. 

35196F7B-1D11-49CE-A7F5-5196DD9C7B4C.png

2 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

On the Re Re Egress chassis there is the hole for the Avante driver figure, if I remember correctly. Because the Rere 2001 bodyshell has the 2011 driver figure included.

I just wanted to make additional holes in my original 2001 FRP chassis, so I went down this route. 

Ah perfect! Happy days!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xray mark said:

by the way rueb  did you see thAt you can buy black can motor quite similar to dyna tech? 
I was thinking to buy one and a repro dyna sticker to put on the can for repro looks!?.. 

35196F7B-1D11-49CE-A7F5-5196DD9C7B4C.png

Very cool idea, and a good base! My friend @Elbarto2008 is faking a Technigold at the moment, and trying to paint a motor housing of a similar cheap motor.

But I think you found the perfect base for the Dynatech.:)

I have finally found a local (read: somewhere in Canada) hobby shop that can ship in these strange times, and so hope to be taking delivery of a brand-new VQS/Vanquish by the end of the month ^_^

I had never considered the similarities between the ETronix brushed motors and the Dynatech, though... I should have tried it on any of my glut of such motors!

I've just been looking at pictures of the vqs (on the modelsport website) and it does look a very cool looking buggy definitely up with the avante/egress family! But I just can't justify the price of it which is a real shame because I would definitely have had one and why have a pre painted body? Take away the painted body and do what they did with the egress and leave out the motor and make the esc optional would surely bring the price down (that price for a plastic chassis🤔)

On 10/14/2020 at 10:09 AM, moffman said:

definitely up with the avante/egress family! 

Sadly that could not be further from the truth.

The vanquish only shares the gearboxes, lower suspension arms and hubs/uprights with the Avante2001/Egress. Almost all other parts are different. There are probably more different parts than there are common. I have just rebuilt a Vanquish and Avante2001 side by side so I can say this with some confidence. (even the rear anti-roll bars are completely different!)

The Vanquish is largely plastic and very poor plastic at that, very brittle, cracks and breaks easily, especially the shock towers, rear deck and tub. The integral battery tray in the Vanquish is poor design, fiddly to open and close when covered in dirt/grit and is limited on type of battery that will fit unless you modify it.  The stock steering on the Vanquish is atrocious compared to Avante2001/Egress. The Egress and Avante2001 can take a better range of batteries and with just a new hole drilled in the upper and lower decks to relocate a support post can take 8.4v or square section hard case LiPos of varying sizes with relative ease.

In my experience the Vanquish is no better than (and in many ways far inferior to) the Terra Scorcher, especially if we are talking re-releases where you can get a Terra Scorcher for approaching half the cost of a Vanquish. I'd much rather have two Terras than one Vanquish, which will break within one hour of use and require alot of expense to fix. Egress and Avante2001 are far superior buggies to Vanquish IMHO and especially at the sort of prices being asked. Vanquish in my mind is worth maybe £250 at most if an Avante2001/Egress was say £400 at the same time.

• Like 2

Colin or Tom? You need to re engineer the Avante like you are doing with the DS. What would be good is a 10mm longer chassis. 

33 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

Colin or Tom? You need to re engineer the Avante like you are doing with the DS. What would be good is a 10mm longer chassis. 

or forget re-re'ing the lardy '88 avante and just re-release the Egress and Avante2001 instead :)

11 hours ago, mud4fun said:

The vanquish only shares the gearboxes, lower suspension arms and hubs/uprights with the Avante2001/Egress. Almost all other parts are different. There are probably more different parts than there are common. I have just rebuilt a Vanquish and Avante2001 side by side so I can say this with some confidence. (even the rear anti-roll bars are completely different!)

The Vanquish is largely plastic and very poor plastic at that, very brittle, cracks and breaks easily, especially the shock towers, rear deck and tub. The integral battery tray in the Vanquish is poor design, fiddly to open and close when covered in dirt/grit and is limited on type of battery that will fit unless you modify it.  The stock steering on the Vanquish is atrocious compared to Avante2001/Egress. The Egress and Avante2001 can take a better range of batteries and with just a new hole drilled in the upper and lower decks to relocate a support post can take 8.4v or square section hard case LiPos of varying sizes with relative ease.

In my experience the Vanquish is no better than (and in many ways far inferior to) the Terra Scorcher, especially if we are talking re-releases where you can get a Terra Scorcher for approaching half the cost of a Vanquish. I'd much rather have two Terras than one Vanquish, which will break within one hour of use and require alot of expense to fix. Egress and Avante2001 are far superior buggies to Vanquish IMHO and especially at the sort of prices being asked. Vanquish in my mind is worth maybe £250 at most if an Avante2001/Egress was say £400 at the same time.

As I've never owned one I was purley talking about the looks of the vanquish I haven't commented on the engineering of it as I have no knowledge! But in my opinion it is up there with the Avante/egress for looks and I have stated before that it doesn't appear to be value for money because its 99% plastic which is a shame because it's a cool looking buggy but I can't bring myself to pay that much for it!

• Like 3

Just now, moffman said:

As I've never owned one I was purley talking about the looks of the vanquish I couldn't comment on the engineering of it as I have no knowledge! But in my opinion it is up there with the Avante/egress for looks and I have stated before that it doesn't appear to be value for money because its 99% plastic which is a shame because it's a cool looking buggy but I can't bring myself to pay that much for it!

My youngest daughter loves the looks. I've just gifted the Vanquish to her so she has something to race against her elder sisters Egress. We've just ordered a new TBG Vanquish body to replace the rather battered old one on ours. They are good looking cars in certain colours, black or dark gunmetal suits it well I think whereas I find my Avante2001 suits brighter colours more. I painted our Vanquish yellow but not sure it suits the shape really.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

Just get the Vajra chassis, carbon, cheap as chips, perfect fit. Same wheelbase as Vanquish, Egress, 2001.;)

11 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

Maybe next life. ;)

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Just get the Vajra chassis, carbon, cheap as chips, perfect fit. Same wheelbase as Vanquish, Egress, 2001.;)

Are they easily available ?

1 hour ago, moffman said:

As I've never owned one I was purley talking about the looks of the vanquish I haven't commented on the engineering of it as I have no knowledge! But in my opinion it is up there with the Avante/egress for looks and I have stated before that it doesn't appear to be value for money because its 99% plastic which is a shame because it's a cool looking buggy but I can't bring myself to pay that much for it!

Easy solution is get an Egress and fit a vanquish body to it. Job done. You will then have a hopped up vanquish lol.

750508C7-B885-4F36-A680-9EABCACFA962.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

My youngest daughter loves the looks. I've just gifted the Vanquish to her so she has something to race against her elder sisters Egress. We've just ordered a new TBG Vanquish body to replace the rather battered old one on ours. They are good looking cars in certain colours, black or dark gunmetal suits it well I think whereas I find my Avante2001 suits brighter colours more. I painted our Vanquish yellow but not sure it suits the shape really.

That's another thing which is a shame! a painted body because gunmetal is the colour of choice for me for that buggy I did my very first Avante 2011 in gunmetal and I thought it look the best one I've done so far I'm waiting for the avante to make an appearance again and hopefully get a body to do it that colour aswell........I'd replace all my rc collection with avante's (Apart for my sand scorcher) that's how much I love'em!

img37842_28072012123033_1_1100_.jpg

20200920_161411.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mud4fun said:

The vanquish only shares the gearboxes, lower suspension arms and hubs/uprights with the Avante2001/Egress. Almost all other parts are different. There are probably more different parts than there are common. 

Hi mud, just need to comment on the plastics of the Vanquish. You´re totally right, that on the spare parts from the old days the brittleness is really great. I noticed that the first time after buying a Vanquish parts donator. But from owning my Vanquish in 89, this could take alot of abuse. I never broke the plastic rear shock tower and also not the rear upperdeck. What I broke, was the front shock tower, as this is very filigran design in plastic. The steering was already far better than on the 88 Avante, and giving the design plot for the RAce steering set of Egress and 2001. Just the levers were equipped with ball bearings, and the plate changed from FRP into carbon. What I did fit as tuning parts was the race steering levers and the Hicaps. With that setup, I had good years with my Vanquish. Dreamed of the carbon chassis set, but that was expensive in the old days...

Also the suspension was completely overtaken on 2001, just roll centers on the rear were slightly different adjusted. Vanquish stabi in rear was so weak doing hardly anything, just like Avante. But that was no drawback.

Also in my hemisphere 8,4 V packs were not common, so I never suffered from the battery door. Found it always a great thing, protecting the battery from scratches. And it´s so big, with a slight mod it can take a 2s Zippy Flightmax hardcase Lipo inside...

O.k., you know, I´m a Vanquish and Avante and 2001 fan.

I think everyone, who wanted a Vanquish CS as the Hightech version proposed in the Vanquish manual last pages, has built his own since rere of the Egress in 2013. Now it´s time for the lightly tuned versions, that fil the gap between Egress std. and the base Vanquish. And for these people including me, the prices is probably still not too high, as the Avante comes in at 445€ again. For sure, both prices will probably go down on some special offer days. I hope Tamico to offer the VQS in their yearly christmas special, and if that will happen I´ll probably grab one for nostalgy.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

Are they easily available ?

Tamico still has the upperdeck listed for 29€. Lowerdeck I have to look...;)

The lower deck needs a little mod to be honest, if you want to run the original Avante undercowl. But that is feasible, did it on my Avante 89...

1 minute ago, ruebiracer said:

Hi Tom, it was already announced, but mice to see it´s no fake news! Next batch is coming!;)

Nice to see all this old kits come back. Seems realistic to have a Dyna Storm rerere in the next 5 years, what do you think guys?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Collin said:

Nice to see all this old kits come back. Seems realistic to have a Dyna Storm rerere in the next 5 years, what do you think guys?

Actually, I think you´re right! :wub: After the Super Astute, the Dyna is on the list again, I´m sure!!

Hope so : ) My spare gearbox internals getting low on stock.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, moffman said:

That's another thing which is a shame! a painted body because gunmetal is the colour of choice for me for that buggy I did my very first Avante 2011 in gunmetal and I thought it look the best one I've done so far I'm waiting for the avante to make an appearance again and hopefully get a body to do it that colour aswell........I'd replace all my rc collection with avante's (Apart for my sand scorcher) that's how much I love'em!

Yeah, such a shame the body is pre-painted, I like painting the shells my own colour choice.

I love gunmetal, yours looks gorgeous.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, trying to choose between doing my new Avante2001 shell gunmetal or iridescent purple/green, I'm so torn that I may just buy another shell and do both :D

I basically got rid of all my truck and buggy collection of a dozen different types except for the thundershot and Avante based cars (and my original Sand Scorcher). I stick with those two chassis lines as for us they cover all uses from rough dirt bashing to fast tarmac racing. They are my favourite two chassis from the 80's and I just stuck with them. It is easier to hold big stocks of parts for just one or two chassis types. 

Just waiting on some new parts and then hopefully within a month we'll be back up to our full line up of five Avante based cars so the kids and I can start racing them again. :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Hi mud, just need to comment on the plastics of the Vanquish. You´re totally right, that on the spare parts from the old days the brittleness is really great. I noticed that the first time after buying a Vanquish parts donator. But from owning my Vanquish in 89, this could take alot of abuse. I never broke the plastic rear shock tower and also not the rear upperdeck. What I broke, was the front shock tower, as this is very filigran design in plastic. The steering was already far better than on the 88 Avante, and giving the design plot for the RAce steering set of Egress and 2001. Just the levers were equipped with ball bearings, and the plate changed from FRP into carbon. What I did fit as tuning parts was the race steering levers and the Hicaps. With that setup, I had good years with my Vanquish. Dreamed of the carbon chassis set, but that was expensive in the old days...

Hi Matthias,

This is curious, you and I have had very different experience of the plastic used. I have even had brand new parts crack just last week, I'm assuming they were original parts dating back 20+ years rather than new re-re parts as I got them a few years ago but I don't suffer such brittleness with my thundershock plastic parts of the same age. Not sure why? I can't believe the number of cracks I managed to get in the tub, gearbox and rear deck from one barrel roll. Admittedly it was on tarmac BUT my daughters and I rolled our thundershots dozens of times that same weekend with zero chassis damage at all, despite some of the crashes being at much higher speed. Did they change the type of plastic at some point do you think? maybe you had the earlier batch and I got the later? (or vice versa)

Yeah 8.4v was really popular with us back in the late 80's because some of my friends had bigwigs with the 8.4v packs and technigolds, they were awesome! I was so envious, the grunt they had compared to my 7.2v packs. I switched to 8.4v as soon as I could afford it and never looked back, have run 8.4v in my buggies (mainly thundershots and Avantes) for 30+ years now :D (and I guess you could argue that even after switching my buggies to 2S LiPo, I'm still on 8.4v?)

Regards,

Ian