Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Yeah, such a shame the body is pre-painted, I like painting the shells my own colour choice.

I love gunmetal, yours looks gorgeous.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, trying to choose between doing my new Avante2001 shell gunmetal or iridescent purple/green, I'm so torn that I may just buy another shell and do both :D

I basically got rid of all my truck and buggy collection of a dozen different types except for the thundershot and Avante based cars (and my original Sand Scorcher). I stick with those two chassis lines as for us they cover all uses from rough dirt bashing to fast tarmac racing. They are my favourite two chassis from the 80's and I just stuck with them. It is easier to hold big stocks of parts for just one or two chassis types. 

Just waiting on some new parts and then hopefully within a month we'll be back up to our full line up of five Avante based cars so the kids and I can start racing them again. :)

Just to give you some idea what iridescent purple/green will look like on an rc I bought that colour (colours) when it first made an appearance its expensive but superb if your going to put it on just make sure every nook and cranny of the body is covered with the iridescent paint before you back it with the black because the effect is lost if the black shows through.......but it will look properly good on an avante shell!!

IMG_20170624_111106.jpg

IMG_20160526_111611.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, moffman said:

Just to give you some idea what iridescent purple/green will look like on an rc I bought that colour (colours) when it first made an appearance its expensive but superb if your going to put it on just make sure every nook and cranny of the body is covered with the iridescent paint before you back it with the black because the effect is lost if the black shows through.......but it will look properly good on an avante shell!!

Thank you, however I do actually already have that colour on my thundershot so know too well how gorgeous it is, this is making my decision even harder now though after seeing your top force with it too! :D :wub:

Here is my thundershot in the same colour.

ts_low (2).jpg

• Like 1

@ruebiracer just for you, the Vanquish got its turn this afternoon to do its postal racing laps. I decided to do this on grass because after the last two rounds resulted in £150 of damage and I've now run out of spare gearbox casings (again) and rear decks (again) felt grass may be the more sensible option, this buggy really doesn't like tarmac LOL

I'm going to re-name this buggy 'The Lawnmower'-  the large pins spikes did a great job of sucking all the grass up into the chassis.... :D

1765366203_round3_vanquish(3).thumb.jpg.d708fd519ca761f8c597201f5209ae71.jpg

round3_vanquish (1).jpg

round3_vanquish (2).jpg

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

@ruebiracer just for you, the Vanquish got its turn this afternoon to do its postal racing laps. I decided to do this on grass because after the last two rounds resulted in £150 of damage and I've now run out of spare gearbox casings (again) and rear decks (again) felt grass may be the more sensible option, this buggy really doesn't like tarmac LOL

I'm going to re-name this buggy 'The Lawnmower'-  the large pins spikes did a great job of sucking all the grass up into the chassis.... :D

thank you Ian for posting the pics! Seems I´m with your daughter in the postal race! She really puts the throttle down!:lol: Actually the Vanquish sucks a little more debris up compared to my 2001, but because of the wide open rears, this chassis line likes getting dirty!:rolleyes: I propose to glue some tire inserts on the body sides, will protect the body and keep some of the debris out from the front tires!:rolleyes:

And then I place an order at Dad for your daughter: She needs a better servo saver and the Avante race steering set...:lol:.

I´ll have to dig out some pics of my pair, as I build them up this year for me and my nephew to compete against each other. So I feel with you in your family races, great fun for sure, especially with your professional lap count system. Nobody can complain then!:P

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

thank you Ian for posting the pics! Seems I´m with your daughter in the postal race! She really puts the throttle down!:lol: Actually the Vanquish sucks a little more debris up compared to my 2001, but because of the wide open rears, this chassis line likes getting dirty!:rolleyes: I propose to glue some tire inserts on the body sides, will protect the body and keep some of the debris out from the front tires!:rolleyes:

And then I place an order at Dad for your daughter: She needs a better servo saver and the Avante race steering set...:lol:.

I´ll have to dig out some pics of my pair, as I build them up this year for me and my nephew to compete against each other. So I feel with you in your family races, great fun for sure, especially with your professional lap count system. Nobody can complain then!:P

Kind regards,

Matthias

Yes, the new Avante2001 steering relays arrived in the post this morning, haven't fitted them yet. They will improve things alot. :)

I will also be changing the steering rod (from servo to steering relay) to a 3mm thread rod with heavier duty 5mm rod ends, the same as I have fitted to my Avante2001 shown in this pic, it makes the steering so much more accurate and reduced slack. The current Vanquish rod is a weedy 1mm thing with a hook that slips into the servo saver and it wears rapidly and the slack is insane. Probably why always preferred the Avante2001 LOL

Oh and thank you for the tip about the foams, I will do that. 

I drove it today, youngest daughter refuses to drive it until I sort out the dodgy steering and replace the motor, she doesn't like the Dyna Run, it is too pokey for her and she prefers to drive more sedately and smoother then me.... but she seems to manage to go faster while looking slow?! She will hopefully do her postal race laps next saturday with the Vanquish after I sort the issues out.

avante2001_electronics (1)a.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Hi Matthias,

This is curious, you and I have had very different experience of the plastic used. I have even had brand new parts crack just last week, I'm assuming they were original parts dating back 20+ years rather than new re-re parts as I got them a few years ago but I don't suffer such brittleness with my thundershock plastic parts of the same age. Not sure why? I can't believe the number of cracks I managed to get in the tub, gearbox and rear deck from one barrel roll. Admittedly it was on tarmac BUT my daughters and I rolled our thundershots dozens of times that same weekend with zero chassis damage at all, despite some of the crashes being at much higher speed. Did they change the type of plastic at some point do you think? maybe you had the earlier batch and I got the later? (or vice versa)

Yeah 8.4v was really popular with us back in the late 80's because some of my friends had bigwigs with the 8.4v packs and technigolds, they were awesome! I was so envious, the grunt they had compared to my 7.2v packs. I switched to 8.4v as soon as I could afford it and never looked back, have run 8.4v in my buggies (mainly thundershots and Avantes) for 30+ years now :D (and I guess you could argue that even after switching my buggies to 2S LiPo, I'm still on 8.4v?)

Regards,

Ian

Yeah Ian, you´re probably right. I think UV-rays are a big killer on some of the plastics. Mine was stored for years inside the box , so I have some parts that are still o.k., like 2 used chassis, that still have noc cracks, or my old shock tower. Despite that, the donor car I got seemed to have a good shock tower, but it really felt into pieces, when I disassembled the car. Plastic variations can also be reason. Tamiya did that not for the first time. As an example I only name the first TT02 kits with the front knuckles. First kerb, knuckle broke away without hitting anything...:o

I really don´t want to tell you, how to use your buggies!:lol: It´s so cool, that you really used your buggies hard over all that years, that brings for sure up the weaknesses of them. And yeah, switch to Lipo is a late update to 8,4V. I try to use my race batteries also in my fun runners like the Vanquish, so I was fiddling to get the Zippy Lipo in the VAnquish, which surprisingly went well. My friend orders these for our stock class from China, and we can have a pack for 20€. So this keeps cost down for me. That´s also the reason why I tried to use the Tamiya TBLE02 ESC, because everybody has some left for low money from buying Tamiya kits. Another 20€, and with some old Speed paasion Sportsman I got cheap for 19€´s I setup my power sources on the cheap side. Also I did want that for maintenance. That is the simple background on my choice. But I also can fully understand you to use Nimh packs, that are nearly indestructable and less sensitive than Lipos, when not handled right...

Keep on running those old buggies,

still find them the most beautiful ones in the era of 1980-1995. ;)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Yes, the new Avante2001 steering relays arrived in the post this morning, haven't fitted them yet. They will improve things alot. :)

I will also be changing the steering rod (from servo to steering relay) to a 3mm thread rod with heavier duty 5mm rod ends, the same as I have fitted to my Avante2001 shown in this pic, it makes the steering so much more accurate and reduced slack. The current Vanquish rod is a weedy 1mm thing with a hook that slips into the servo saver and it wears rapidly and the slack is insane. Probably why always preferred the Avante2001 LOL

Oh and thank you for the tip about the foams, I will do that. 

I drove it today, youngest daughter refuses to drive it until I sort out the dodgy steering and replace the motor, she doesn't like the Dyna Run, it is too pokey for her and she prefers to drive more sedately and smoother then me.... but she seems to manage to go faster while looking slow?! She will hopefully doe her postal race laps next saturday with the Vanquish after I sort the issues out.

avante2001_electronics (1)a.jpg

Yeah, I just recently got aware, that the Dyna Run super touring is a 13x2 wound (or was it even a 12x2), that is quite some r.p.m.´s for your daughter! I guess something like a Technigold would suit her driving style more, as you described it!:)

By the way, what I find a totally cool design is your main wing section in silver, accomplished with the yellow sides!;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Thank you, however I do actually already have that colour on my thundershot so know too well how gorgeous it is, this is making my decision even harder now though after seeing your top force with it too! :D :wub:

Here is my thundershot in the same colour.

ts_low (2).jpg

Superb thundershot! I would go for it (we need to see it if you do?) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

Yeah, I just recently got aware, that the Dyna Run super touring is a 13x2 wound (or was it even a 12x2), that is quite some r.p.m.´s for your daughter! I guess something like a Technigold would suit her driving style more, as you described it!:)

By the way, what I find a totally cool design is your main wing section in silver, accomplished with the yellow sides!;)

hehe, yes I have Dyna Run Super Touring motors in all my Avante class buggies and yes they are classed as a 13T double, they are a fantastic motor for this chassis, especially if running a 17t pinion, lower top speed but even quicker acceleration - I can easily do hundreds of donuts on the spot on my kitchen carpet in the Avante2001 and wear out a set of large spiked tyres in about 3 mins......

I have converted my fastest Thundershot and my favourite Avante2001 to LiPo, they are now both using the square section Absima green horns 45C packs, the thundershot uses a 4000mah 2S and the Avante2001 uses a 5000mah 2S. I modified the Egress carbon decks to have an extra hole to allow me to move the deck support post forwards to fit the large LiPo in. The Thundershot has also been modified to square off the battery tunnel in the tub to allow a square section LiPo to fit.

The Avante2001 race weight is 1557g including battery, the Thundershots race weight is just 1387g with battery.

Combined with the Dyna Run and the reduced weight of the LiPo and reduced weight of the carbon decks, the performance in the Avante2001 is exhilarating  :D

I will gradually migrate all our buggies to LiPo over the next year or so, the prices have reduced to the point that it makes no sense to stick with NiMh now.

avante2001_lipo (1).jpg

tarmac_tyres.thumb.jpg.74833f42e1d17bf1b3e1bcc87f56b6ee.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moffman said:

Thank you.

Yes,  I think I will go with the purple/green on the shell I have and buy another to do gunmetal, best of both worlds then :)

I will post pictures once done.

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, moffman said:

@moffman, I had a disaster with the iridescent paint on the Avante2001, trying to rush it today in cold, wet and windy conditions coupled with the blue film on TBG shells which meant I misjudged how much PS46 I'd put on before backing it in black meant it is very blotchy, marbled and plain awful compared to the Thundershot. Thankfully these are basher/race buggies not shelf queens so no real problem, I'll try another shell next year when weather is warmer. Doesn't look too bad for a basher shell :-)

avante2001_newpaint (2).jpg

avante2001_newpaint (6).jpg

• Sad 1

Oh nasty I honestly thought that ps paint was ok to do in rubbish colder conditions? I must admit I've never sprayed in the colder days I just tend to do it in the summer so I can leave it outside in the sun to dry? It doesn't look to bad in the photos ( looks very good actually)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, moffman said:

Oh nasty I honestly thought that ps paint was ok to do in rubbish colder conditions? I must admit I've never sprayed in the colder days I just tend to do it in the summer so I can leave it outside in the sun to dry? It doesn't look to bad in the photos ( looks very good actually)

yeah, up close it is blotchy and too light, has strange runs in the paint and is generally inferior to the thundershot which was painted in warm summer weather.

• Like 1

It's a difficult thing if you have the body and paint to wait until better weather.....you just want to get it done to see what its like! 

3 minutes ago, moffman said:

It's a difficult thing if you have the body and paint to wait until better weather.....you just want to get it done to see what its like! 

Yeah, if I waited for decent weather I'd be waiting for 6 months..... LOL

edit: To be honest, it is fine as a basher/racer shell. The smoked canopy is actually better than the thundershot, managed to get that just right. Typical. 

I have a Vanquish shell to do for my daughter next week, that is metallic black- a very thin coat of silver metallic backed with black - I better not **** that up or she'll kill me!

1 minute ago, mud4fun said:

I have a Vanquish shell to do for my daughter next week, that is metallic silver - a very thin coat of silver metallic backed with black - I better not **** that up or she'll kill me!

I'm just assuming but would warming it up with a hair dryer work?

• Like 1

Just now, moffman said:

I'm just assuming but would warming it up with a hair dryer work?

LOL, yeah, I'm going to leave the can to warm up in the hottest part of the house and then paint the shell in the kitchen, but just open the windows, that way it should be warm enough to get a good finish :)

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, xray mark said:

Well guys what do you think?
Repro dynatech 

good for vqs!?.. 

Yes, I think that should be fine :)

I have been running my vanquish with a Dyna Run Super Touring motor (13x2, 390g torque, 33K rpm) for years BUT the car is too fast for its height.

The vanquish sits quite tall and I've just got totally fed up of the rollovers that result in alot of damage (at the sort of speeds the dyna run gives). I have recently tried it on a 19T Reedy spec and it is much improved, less brutal acceleration and lower top speeds and is perfectly happy running on dirt/grass now. It really is a car that suits slightly rougher dirt tracks with a smaller pinion and lower top speeds. It really doesn't like tarmac racing at high speeds LOL. I've just rebuilt the Vanquish again last week after I cracked virtually every plastic part (tub, shock tower, deck, gearbox casing etc) in a high speed rollover. I have now given it to my youngest daughter and fitting a sport tuned motor to it, should be fine for her to drive on the lawn and fields.

In comparison my Avante2001 and Egress handle the Dyna Run Super Touring with no real problems, they have been lowered and have slightly firmer suspension, don't rollover as much but are more suited to very smooth surfaces or even tarmac. 

On 10/19/2020 at 10:58 PM, mud4fun said:

LOL, yeah, I'm going to leave the can to warm up in the hottest part of the house and then paint the shell in the kitchen, but just open the windows, that way it should be warm enough to get a good finish :)

You probably know but be careful. If you heat up a shell and then put it in  Cold Air you will get condensation and ruin the paint 

• Thanks 1

If anyone wants a nice looking motor for the vqs 

the generic Chinese 19t motors on eBay and an mci decal makes a nice “ repro” dynatech!. 

500B1F98-75ED-4A59-B9FB-0553CC194A13.jpeg

7 minutes ago, xray mark said:

You probably know but be careful. If you heat up a shell and then put it in  Cold Air you will get condensation and ruin the paint 

Yeah, I have a cunning plan, I'm going to run the woodburner to dry the air out and warm the room, paint and shell up first. Then will spray in kitchen and leave to dry while I go into the lounge and shut the door to keep fumes out. The chimney will draw up the fumes and draw in fresh air from outside so should be breathable air again after a couple of hours. :) The weather is so wet at the moment I give up waiting for a dry spell.... 

EDIT: I'm going to trial this on my new (and cheap) Baja Bug shell for my SRB this weekend, also being painted in PS46. Fingers crossed all goes well and I don't ruin a second shell in a week.

Interesting discussions has anyone here received the re release?. I have seen the VQS for €279 euros. It is too rich for me. I will wait if price will come down. 

33 minutes ago, xray mark said:

If anyone wants a nice looking motor for the vqs 

the generic Chinese 19t motors on eBay and an mci decal makes a nice “ repro” dynatech!. 

500B1F98-75ED-4A59-B9FB-0553CC194A13.jpeg

Like people put Ferrari badge on Fiat 😂