Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

11 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Might be borrowing that :ph34r:

Hey, no problem! Not a new idea at all... Keen on your VQS!:)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Nice detail work with the driver, any pics already of it fitted?

20201130_201954.jpg

• Like 2

Trial fitting looks and feels ok  - think im going to get a low profile servo just in case. It looks like its clear when looking through the gaps between the body and the chassis.

• Like 1

What is the chance of drilling a hole in the top of the chassis and mounting Avante 2011 style on a spacer? I suppose the steering rod will be in the way? 

2 minutes ago, xray mark said:

What is the chance of drilling a hole in the top of the chassis and mounting Avante 2011 style on a spacer? I suppose the steering rod will be in the way? 

Yeah the servo and steering rod get in the way. I had to saw off all the gubbins underneath the driver and its still very tight

I cut a piece of styrene tube and made a hole so the front sits squarely on the peg in the front damper mount as didnt want to drill another hole or velcro to the prepainted shell

20201130_203321.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kid168 said:

Will the Avante carbon racing steering set work with the VQS?

Ive just ordered the egress arms and some 850 bearings. About to find out...

9 hours ago, kid168 said:

Will the Avante carbon racing steering set work with the VQS?

Im pretty sure the vqs already comes with it. One part is just mounted flipped I believe 

5 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Ive just ordered the egress arms and some 850 bearings. About to find out...

Should fit fine, we have fitted Avante2001 steering cranks to our vanquish in the past.

44 minutes ago, xray mark said:

Im pretty sure the vqs already comes with it. One part is just mounted flipped I believe 

I don't believe that is correct, from all the VQS I have seen, it comes with a vanquish steering plate (albeit a carbon one) and vanquish cranks. The Egress/Avante2001 steering plate is much shorter with longer steering link rods and the cranks use four bearings each and are much more substantial/stronger.

This pictures shows my old FRP Avante2001 steering plate (same length as Egress) on top of our Vanquish plate, very different lengths. The Avante2001 doesn't suffer from 'bump steer' when front wheels under full articulation as the longer arms pivot much closer in line to the pivot points of the suspension arms themselves. Although to be fair it is barely noticeable on the Vanquish either as the suspension travel is not exactly great on either!

EDIT: Just checked my NIP racing steering set and yes it does contain the vanquish length plate but has the Avante2001/Egress cranks! LOL

steeringplates.jpg

• Like 1

VQS comes with none bearing bell cranks. So the carbon plate on the Avante racing set are the same as the one that came with the VQS and Egress?

55 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Should fit fine, we have fitted Avante2001 steering cranks to our vanquish in the past.

I don't believe that is correct, from all the VQS I have seen, it comes with a vanquish steering plate (albeit a carbon one) and vanquish cranks. The Egress/Avante2001 steering plate is much shorter with longer steering link rods and the cranks use four bearings each and are much more substantial/stronger.

This pictures shows my old FRP Avante2001 steering plate (same length as Egress) on top of our Vanquish plate, very different lengths. The Avante2001 doesn't suffer from 'bump steer' when front wheels under full articulation as the longer arms pivot much closer in line to the pivot points of the suspension arms themselves. Although to be fair it is barely noticeable on the Vanquish either as the suspension travel is not exactly great on either!

EDIT: Just checked my NIP racing steering set and yes it does contain the vanquish length plate but has the Avante2001/Egress cranks! LOL

steeringplates.jpg

As far as I know, 2001 was the only steering plate with the short design. Egress would have had a short carbon version, and I never saw anyone Ian, except from 3rd party sellers. And Vanquish is in principle the race steering set, but with cheaper levers without ball bearings. At least Tamiya upgraded to a carbon plate for the VQS, probably because it saved them from making new ones in FRP...

and edit: saw your edit too late!:lol:

42 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

As far as I know, 2001 was the only steering plate with the short design. Egress would have had a short carbon version, and I never saw anyone Ian, except from 3rd party sellers. And Vanquish is in principle the race steering set, but with cheaper levers without ball bearings. At least Tamiya upgraded to a carbon plate for the VQS, probably because it saved them from making new ones in FRP...

and edit: saw your edit too late!:lol:

LOL, thanks. Curiously my 2nd hand Egress came with the shorter plate too (in carbon though!), I assumed that was original. PO must have swapped to Avante2001 style for some reason. Don't think it makes much difference but if anything the Avante2001 does have nicer steering to vanquish in stock form, not sure I can pin point specifically why but I just 'feel' the Avante2001 steers better, less 'frisky'? :)

Edit: I have raced both the Avante2001 and Vanquish back to back quite alot recently and the Vanquish is the more 'nervous' car at speed, combination of taller ride height, softer suspension and slightly different steering. I prefer the Avante2001 for most conditions but the Vanquish handled superbly on wet muddy grass. Much more supple.

• Like 1

@ruebiracer was I correct in thinking the shorter plate was to avoid bump steer?

Odd though because the vanquish has more suspension travel than Avante2001 and the vanquish doesn't suffer from bump steer anyway. Always wondered why the plates changed in length.

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

@ruebiracer was I correct in thinking the shorter plate was to avoid bump steer?

Odd though because the vanquish has more suspension travel than Avante2001 and the vanquish doesn't suffer from bump steer anyway. Always wondered why the plates changed in length.

That´s also something which I still do not 100%, to be honest. One day I´ll also give it a try on a track back to back and make my own judgement!:D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

That´s also something which I still do not 100%, to be honest. One day I´ll also give it a try on a track back to back and make my own judgement!:D

The weird thing is that I have run my Avante 2001 with the vanquish steering plate, while I loaned my Avante2001 plate to a friend to make some new carbon copies. It didn't make any difference as far as I could tell. The biggest difference in the steering between Avante2001 and Vanquish is the ballraced cranks. A huge difference. The stock vanquish ones rattle about and have lots of play. The Avante2001 cranks are rock solid. Also the thicker link from servo to steering crank and bigger rod ends makes a big difference too. The original vanquish one was very weedy. It looks like they fixed that on the VQS?

I have just manually moved the suspension to max compression on both cars and there is actually a tiny amount of steer induced on the Vanquish at full compression that is not there on Avante2001. However that would only really be noticeable in a race if you were landing hard on the front end after a jump, immediately before a turn??? Seems a bit of a specific case to warrant a change in the plate shape. I'd love to know the real reason!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 8:49 AM, Superluminal said:

Bought an Avante Z parts cockpit set to go in it. Had to extend the rear seat with styrene sheet to reuse the screw hole in the shell and a hole in the front to locate over the peg in the shock tower (which ive no idea why its there unless its used the same part from a different kit)

Ive never been keen on the original driver for the Vanquish - mans cant race a cars with a screw through his head!!

20201129_164256.jpg

Is using the avante body with the vanquish head an option? that would require no modifications right ?

4 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Is using the avante body with the vanquish head an option? that would require no modifications right ?

Yes thats an option. I would probably just fill the screw hole on the top with filler before painting though or you would see it through the window.

I ended up doing a bit of a u-turn on this kit after initially not really feeling much enthusiasm for it. Grabbed one from Stella for £255 delivered which I think is a reasonable price.

Now I need a set of the #47455 Hi-Caps. Have the UK stores actually had these in stock yet?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I ended up doing a bit of a u-turn on this kit after initially not really feeling much enthusiasm for it. Grabbed one from Stella for £255 delivered which I think is a reasonable price.

Now I need a set of the #47455 Hi-Caps. Have the UK stores actually had these in stock yet?

Contact Tony Tamiya or fusion 

16 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Filled hole in the head and sanded. Have primed the body but not the head yet as the weather is pants.

This looks closer to the box art image than the avante helmet. Good shout - think i will go with it.

20201204_190927.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Filled hole in the head and sanded. Have primed the body but not the head yet as the weather is pants.

This looks closer to the box art image than the avante helmet. Good shout - think i will go with it.

20201204_190927.jpg

No modifications needed if I get the avante body and use the vanquish head right ? I would put the screw through the head 

6 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

No modifications needed if I get the avante body and use the vanquish head right ? I would put the screw through the head 

Yep - the vanquish head has the same screw hole in the bottom of the head as well so attaches the same way the avante helmet does

27 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Yep - the vanquish head has the same screw hole in the bottom of the head as well so attaches the same way the avante helmet does

Sweet, I’m going to do that ! Does it look like there will be enough clearance for the avante driver body towards the rear if use the vqs head ? . From your pic, it looks close to rubbing